Hungarian Beigli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a question. Why would you add a package of yeast to self rising flour? I thought that self rising flour already had a leavening agent in it.

This recipe looks remarkably like my mother's Slovenian Potica recipe. I think each European country has their own version, and thuis one is almost verbatim from Mom's recipe book.

Joe

Would you please post it JoeV? I would love it!

I noticed that too about the recipe which is why I asked LadyCook if she had made it. I have never seen a recipe use self rising flour and yeast.

I would really love to have an authentic version of this recipe with walnuts. If anyone has a tried and true one, please post it. Most of my baking books are packed away--thanks, Susan

Kitchenelf, I think beigli are similar to makosh, potica and gubana. However, I can't help thinking that there are some differences. I wish my grandma were still living--she would know.

I have found that with Eastern European recipes that there are a lot of similarities--I think, in part, it is because borders kept changing.

I'm allergic to walnuts - is there another nut that can be used without changing it too much?? I would LOVE to make this!

If you are allergic to walnuts or are probably also allergic to pecans (I know, I am).

Hazelnuts are very common in Hungarian desserts--I think I would be tempted to make a hazelnut filling. You probably would want to toast them.

Back
Top Bottom