I made hoecakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puki

Assistant Cook
They were underdone and burned. Both. I turned the heat down and they did better.

That was the problem, right? Too hot?

Do you think that a plain, non-stick pan would do better than cast iron?

They were okay. Nothing to write home about. I had them with a little store-bought barbecue (which was like pulled pork in tomato sauce) and cottage cheese to help with the heartburn. :)

They didn’t look like the picture and tasted a wee bit underdone, even when they didn’t burn. But edible. I fed myself. :)

I made hoe cakes once. I had to play with the heat to get the centers done. I used a non-stick skillet, and IIRC, medium low heat worked best. I remember them taking longer to cook than regular pancakes.

It was kind of like making a grilled cheese sandwich. If the pan is too hot, you burn the outside and the inside is cold.

CD

Last edited:
Are hoe cakes and hush puppies the same thing?

Don't have a clue as to either one.

No, they are like pancakes, but with corn meal. Imagine cornbread pancakes. They are kinda' like that. I eat them with butter and maple syrup, just like pancakes.

CD

Typical hoecake recipe:
1 cup AP flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs
4 tbs. melted butter
1 3/4 cup buttermilk.

Mix together all ingredients. Heat heavy skillet, or griddle over medium-high heat, until dripped water dances on top. Put butter, or bacon grease onto cooking surface.
Place 3 tbs. of batter onto hot pan. Cook about 3 minutes per side. Lower heat to medium if necessary.

Hoecakes are cornbread in pancake form. fried in fat to give it nice, crispy edges. They can be eaten like pancakes with syrup, honey, or jam/jelly, or served as a savory side with baked beans, ribs, chicken, etc. They are also great along side a good chili.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
and Hush Puppies?

Hoe Cakes - often thought of getting a cast iron pan with the individual shapes of little corn on the cob. I was assuming that the corn bread recipe used for corn bread would be the same recipe for these individual shapes.

So Hoe Cakes are (almost) the same recipe but fried?

and Hush Puppies?

Hoe Cakes - often thought of getting a cast iron pan with the individual shapes of little corn on the cob. I was assuming that the corn bread recipe used for corn bread would be the same recipe for these individual shapes.

So Hoe Cakes are (almost) the same recipe but fried?

Pretty much identical. Hushpuppies too can be the same batter, depending on who you get your recipe from. I've seen people use a quarter cup of flour, and a cup of cornmeal, with a half cup of sugar, , plos 1 tsp. baking powder and a cup of whole milk. I've also seen others use the recipe I gave for the hoe cakes. With hushpuppies, the batter is lifted by tbs., and scraped off into hot oil to deep fry. The batter must be thick enough to be a little pasty, so that it will hold it's shape as it goes from the spoon into the oil. One interesting trick I saw was to make the batter more like a dough, and wrap a little around a pat of cold butter. The steam from the water in the butter helps leaven the hushpuppy, making it lighter, with a buttery flavor.

Just to add to your knowledge, different regions have different names for the same thing. Hoe cakes are also called corn cakes, Johnny cakes, and corn pone.

Hushpuppies are usually an accompaniment for fried foods, such as fish, or chicken. Hoe cakes are served in many ways.

I used to make hushpuppies by adding corn meal, egg, baking powder, and a little sugar to my seasoned flour recipe for chicken, along with milk. This allowed me to use up the leftover seasoned flour; and the seasonings were good in the hushpuppies.

How's that? Does that give enough info about hoe cakes and hushpuppies, or more than you want to know?;)

Wow, thanks Chief!

Love to find different names for the same thing!

I sort'a knew that Hush Puppies were dropped into oil but I didn't know it was with corn meal.

I haven’t made pancakes yet. I was thinking that if the hoecakes turned out okay, I could try pancakes. With pancakes, if it isn’t good, the whole meal is shot.

My hoecake recipe had white corn, so not that corny. I wanted to see how they’d taste without the corn-corn that I love so much.

I will try again with this new recipe and see how it goes. :)

Thank you all. :)

I can't seem to find it right now. We had a pancake contest with several different recipes submitted. The recipe here - https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f23/worlds-best-pancakes-2567.html
tied with a completely different style recipe submitted by one of our staunch members, CharlieD Try either recipe. You won't be disappointed..

Last edited:
Are hoe cakes and hush puppies the same thing?

Don't have a clue as to either one.

Just one old hillbilly's opinion:
  1. Hushpuppies are fried coin-sized rounds of leftover fish batter.
  2. Hoecakes are flatter and less seasoned fried leftover grits or cornmeal mush. Think fried polenta.
No expert on anything. Just dropped by out of curiosity.

Back
Top Bottom