I'm tired of commercial bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil

Senior Cook
I've been watching bread rise.... to the tune of $3.89 a loaf. And when you buy the store brand it's tasteless and gummy. I don't like thick sliced bread, and when I started buying Peppridge Farms thin sliced bread, it jumped to almost four dollars. I don't eat sandwiches that often and end up tossing a half loaf of wasted, stale bread. Then one day I picked up a loaf of sour dough from the store's bakery. I'm hooked. Not only can you slice it the way you want, it's loaded with flavor. I've been slicing off a couple of pieces and slathering them with butter and toasting them in a frying pan. Sandwiches are suddenly much more interesting. I can slice it thicker for garlic bread. An inch thick for croutons and it lasts over two weeks in the fridge. When it gets a little too stale I use it for bread crumbs. And, it's a buck fifty a loaf. This is the best thing I've found since, well, sliced bread.

I'm with you! I'm fortunate that there are two sources for freshly baked artisan bread at a reasonable price ($2.50 or less for a large loaf). We have a Mennonite bakery just down the street, and our Wal-Mart also carries artisan loafs that are very good. Of course, I will also tackle baking bread about once a month, but I have to be in the mood. For bread about to go bad, I make tasty "Easy Make - No Burn Croutons" and keep them either in the refrigerator or I freeze them.

Phil,
You might like this book: Artisan Bread In Five Minutes A Day.
The author's of the book Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois have an additional book coming out in October.Amazon has it on sale for $18.45.
I've tried almost every recipe in the book..The Master's Recipe alone makes 4-1 lb artisan bread loaves.
Wait until you have a panini sammich with that bread.Better yet bruschetta's!
It's pretty good.

Munky.

Phil,
You might like this book: Artisan Bread In Five Minutes A Day.
The author's of the book Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois have an additional book coming out in October.Amazon has it on sale for $18.45.
I've tried almost every recipe in the book..The Master's Recipe alone makes 4-1 lb artisan bread loaves.
Wait until you have a panini sammich with that bread.Better yet bruschetta's!
It's pretty good.

Munky.

Does that work well for you? I've never had much luck with their recipes.

Jet,
The first few loaves didn't turn out that well for me.
It was just a matter of learning how to work with wet dough.
Now it's not a problem at all.
I'm still learning from that book.Eating well as I do it :)

Munky.

That's a good price for bakery bread but...

...I still like to bake my own.

Four years ago I vowed I would learn to make artisan bread.

At first my bread turned out like this
479568891_345a0cfa85_m.jpg

I persisted. Now my bread turns out like this...
2086017043_d0e671ef1a_m.jpg
3775923799_69ab043d32_m.jpg

It's fun having an edible hobby.

eighty five cents ...

That's what it costs me to buy the ingredients for a one-pound hearth bread with about 20% organic whole grain flour and a some organic honey. Bakery cost for an equivalent loaf is $3.50 to $4.00

I buy retail and live in NYC, so my costs are probably higher than many other areas in the US.

Labor costs? For me, baking bread is a labor of love. Can't cost out love.

fifty seven cents

Sorry all - my previous post was incorrect. In my earlier post I said my ingredients cost was for a one-pound loaf, but actually it was for a 1&1/2 pound loaf.
subfuscpersona on 8-25-2009 at 09:24 AM said:
That's what it costs me to buy the ingredients for a one-pound hearth bread with about 20% organic whole grain flour and a some organic honey.

For a one-pound loaf, my cost for ingredients is 57 cents.

Bakery cost for an equivalent one pound loaf is $3.50 to $4.00

I tried to edit my prior post but apparently this is no longer allowed.

re shelf life

@GrillingFool - what do you mean by shelf life? I hate to be difficult, but its hard to answer your question. Shelf life can simply mean how long the bread will last without developing mold (bad!) or it can mean how the bread tastes as it ages and loses some moisture. I'm going to assume you mean the later.

BRIEF RESPONSE
For the one-pound breads I pictured, stored at room temperature in a paper bag, 2-3 days. In contrast, if I purchase a similar bread from a high-end bakery, the shelf life is 1-2 days under the same storage conditions.

EXTENDED RESPONSE
I showed photos of two breads - both were hearth breads, shaped freeform and baked on a flat surface. The one on the left was sourdough and the one on the right was made with a biga preferment. Otherwise the formulae were quite similar.

Once the loaf has cooled and after it has been cut, I store these one pound loaves in a brown paper bag, cut side down, on my kitchen counter. (I don't live in an area with high humidity and my kitchen is not air-conditioned.) I don't refrigerate bread as that hastens moisture loss (actually, what is happening is not really moisture loss but I'm not prepared to give the scientific explanation and maybe you don't care anyway).

In my (most humble) opinion, both loaves have a shelf life of about 3 days given the above storage conditions. If I go to day 4, the sourdough loaf tastes slightly better.

Note that both loaves contain a small amount of honey, which is hydroscopic (which simply means that honey helps maintain moisture).

Note that both loaves are hearth breads, not sandwich breads. Hearth breads are baked freeform on a flat surface at a high heat (about 450F). Sandwich breads are baked in a loaf tin at lower heat (about 350F). With a similar recipe, the hearth bread releases more of the water during baking and will therefore "stale" more quickly than the sandwich bread. Sandwich breads, depending on recipe, have a shelf life of 4-5 days (stored at room temperature in a paper bag).

If you're aiming to extend the shelf life of homemade bread, look for recipes that include a small amount of fat (oil or butter) or a small amount of full-fat soy flour. Both of these additions help keep the interior of the bread soft but do also result in a less crispy crust.

Pretty much all basic breads - hearth or sandwich - can be successfully frozen. Let them cool completely, double wrap in plastic wrap, label and freeze.

Besides freezing, there are lots of subtle ways one can vary a bread recipe to help it keep at room temperature a little longer. However, as I'm sure you know, supermarket-variety breads contain many additives specifically designed to keep the loaf soft for a week or more, even when stored in a refrigerator.

Hope this helped a little bit. - SF

I keep my bread in plastic, in the refrigerator :ohmy: which is the one thing all of the experts tell you not to do.

I live alone and use bread mostly for sandwiches. It takes my a week to go through a loaf of bread. Stored "properly", it goes bad in 2 days. Stored "improperly", it's good for a week. Quality declines in the refrigerator, but it's still better than commercial. The only time I store bread on the counter is to make pain perdu (i.e. French Toast).

Another ABin5 fan here. I cannot wait for the second book to come out (it's literally on my calendar!). I love everything I've made in their first book, but I try to eat whole grain breads day to day. The second book is supposed to focus more on healthier breads with whole grains.

Back
Top Bottom