ISO Help Making Pizza Dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy M. said:
Here's a link to a site that is very helpful.

Thanks, I will check it out. Ya and after another hour it didn't rise anymore!!
I'm just going to put them in the freezor. I guess i'll try 50% whole wheat and 50% all purpose the next time. Perhaps today, not sure yet.

How would one go about making dough by hand? Is it possible? I dont have any fancy devices at my disposal but if anyone is in the know, help a guy out, THX!

You certainly can make dough by hand. For most of history, in most of the world, that's how it's done.

You mix the ingredients and use your hands to fold, press and turn the dough repeatedly until it's ready. Hand kneading takes longer than machine kneading.

lovely pictures of rising dough

I haven't made the pizza yet, but these pictures of the dough I made this morning look sweet!!!

Water in glass pyrex 110 degrees

Once water hit 110, I put in packet of active dry yeast

Added about a teaspoon of honey to it
Mixed it and let it sit for a good 15 minutes until foamy.

I than added it to a bowl that had the following:

1.5 cups of King Aurthur Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup of All Purpose Flour
tablespoon of either garlic powder OR onion powder
salt and some shakes of oregano

I kneaded it in my Kitchen Aide Mixture on "speed 2" between 8 and 10 minutes. I did add probably another tablespoon or a little more of All Purpose Flour. I knew it needed just a little more flour. I first put the flour in 1/4 of cup, but than only poured a little of that in.

I put it in a bowl, covered it with a towel and let it rise for a good hour and half or so.

BEFORE and AFTER Pictures of dough

Attachments

• Misc 075.jpg
    Misc 075.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Misc 076.jpg
    Misc 076.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 190
Looks great!

I use 4 cups of flour in my pizza crust recipe, makes two crusts. I use;

2 cups King Arthur unbleached white bread flour
1 cup King Arthur Traditional Whole Wheat Bread flour
1 cup semolina flour

I took some of the dough I was practicing making from the freezor. The one that had a lot more whole wheat flour. I made some fried dough on the stove and put butter, syrup and powdered sugar on it. Can you say YUM!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom