ISO Stuffed Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
My sister buys a stuffed bread but also makes her own from time to time. Anyone here make their own stuffed bread? My homemade bread never comes out good, so I think I will use ready made dough and then stuff it. Her suggestions were great: pepperoni and mozzarella, sausage, broccoli and cheese, tomatoes, ham and cheese.

TNT Pesto & Feta Log

EVOO
1-lb bread dough
1/3 c pesto
9-oz fresh spinach, chopped on the fine side
1/2 onion, chopped fine
4 oz crumbled feta
4 oz grated mozerarella

Grease a baking sheet liberally with EVOO. (If using frozen bread dough, oil it also and let it thaw on the greased pan.)

Spread the dough out to make an 8x12" rectangle.

Spread the top with pesto, layer with spinach, chopped onions, feta and mozzarella.

Stretch the bread dough up around the filling and pinch it together to seal.

Bake @ 350 degree F for 35 minutes or until bread is golden.

Cut into 1" slices and serve.

Last edited:
How you stuff the bread and what you stuff it with is only limited by your imagination. You could roll the bread like a jam roll, creating a swirl of stuffing, you could create little pocket rolls etc etc.

TNT Pesto

Basil Pesto:
2 cups fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup (about) extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

In a blender or food processor, pulse the basil, pine nuts, garlic, salt, and pepper until finely chopped. With the blender/processor still running, slowly add enough oil to form a smooth and thick consistency.

Transfer the pesto to a bowl and stir in the parmesan cheese. Season the pesto with more salt and pepper, to taste.

This recipe makes about 1 cup of pesto.

:)
Z

Thanks everyone! Zereh your bread recipe sounds good, I'm not keen on pesto, but all the other ingredients I love, so thanks very much for the suggestion. I like fresh basil so maybe I will use that in place of pesto.

amber - since you like fresh basil but don't like pesto maybe you could still use the same ingredients but not blend them together i.e., fresh basil leaves, fresh sliced garlic that has been lightly sauteed, same with pine nuts (lightly sauteeing), drizzle olive oil and then sprinkle with fresh Parmesan.

If you like reubens you can either mix or layer the sliced corned beef, rinsed and squeezed dry sauerkraut, and thousand island dressing.

You could also do a mushroom, sauteed onion, garlic, salt/pepper, and some kind of cheese. A Gruyere, Fontina, or even a Gorgonzola would be good.

Here's one I have tried:
1/4 pound deli ham (in package)
1/4 pound fresh broccoli flowerettes
1 very small onion
1/2 cup fresh parsley
6 oz. grated Swiss cheese
2 TBS Dijon mustard
1 tsp fresh lemon juice

Just finely chop/dice everything and use like you would any other stuffing.

Thanks Kitchenelf, I like the idea of a reuben version, though no one else but me would eat it, so what, I'll make one just for me and freeze it for now. I have 5 loaves of frozen dough, and one is thawing out and rising right now, and the rest I will attempt to make tomorrow pending the outcome of this first one :LOL: I like the ham version you mentioned too, good idea to add some mustard to it!

So I think I will make a pepperoni and mozzarella version, a broccoli , cheese, and onion version, a ham, cheese, onion and broccoli version, and a basil, garlic, spinach, onion, feta, and mozzarella version. I have some marinara sauce in the freezer which I think would be good for dipping the pepperoni and mozzarella bread into. Thanks everyone.

One more question. When I make all these stuffed loaves and then freeze them, should I bake them first, or freeze them as is, then let thaw and bake?

On edit, I made my stuffed bread today (broccoli, cheese, sauted onion, and a bit of dill), it came out good but the bread was too thick so I might cut the dough in half next time.

Last edited:
QSis said:
Looks awesome in the bundt pan, and as mentioned, you can stuff it with your favorites.

Lee

http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2005/messages/186967.htm

Wow that does look awesome QSis (Lee), I dont have a bundt pan but maybe it's time to get one cause that bread looks so yummy on the inside. But one step at a time, first I have to master the art of making this bread, then take the next step to the bundt pan:chef: Thank you for your reply!

amber said:
One more question. When I make all these stuffed loaves and then freeze them, should I bake them first, or freeze them as is, then let thaw and bake?

On edit, I made my stuffed bread today (broccoli, cheese, sauted onion, and a bit of dill), it came out good but the bread was too thick so I might cut the dough in half next time.
Amber, I make a stuffed bread my family loves. Since it's at holiday time mostly, I bake it, then let cool, double wrap and freeze. I use only foil, and re-heat as is opening one end to vent. I do a quick thing with frozen bread dough or even Pillsbury hot roll mix. We use only Italian meats, such as mortadella, and Italian cheeses..I usually have to make 3 of them, my kids love them so much.
kadesma:)

one of my aunts used to make french bread from scratch and stuff it with sauted ground beef and onions,i can still remember the delicious taste,and sometimes she would make a fish shaped bread and stuff it with shredded cooked chicken and chopped bell peppers.The ingredients were simple and not many,but the breads always came out great!

I'm making two more stuffed breads today. The broccoli, sauteed onions, ham, cheddar, mozzarella, mustard, parsley version and the other is pepperoni, mozzarella, a bit of pasta sauce, fresh basil, sauteed onion and mushrooms, oregano. The problem is that I was going to thaw one loaf of dough and make two loaves out of it, but that didnt work well, so now I have to thaw the other one, which will take a few hours. The quick thaw method is to set your oven to 175 degrees then turn it off, place the dough in a pan, and then place a pan of hot boiling water under that. So that takes 3 hours roughly, not so quick, but quicker than thawing it at room temperature which take six or more hours. Thanks Kadesma for the tip about baking the bread, cooling, then freezing!

texasgirl - click on the link again - below the picture there is the word RECIPE which is actually a link to the recipe - I have it already copied and pasted!!! lol

amber said:
I'm making two more stuffed breads today. The broccoli, sauteed onions, ham, cheddar, mozzarella, mustard, parsley version and the other is pepperoni, mozzarella, a bit of pasta sauce, fresh basil, sauteed onion and mushrooms, oregano. The problem is that I was going to thaw one loaf of dough and make two loaves out of it, but that didnt work well, so now I have to thaw the other one, which will take a few hours. The quick thaw method is to set your oven to 175 degrees then turn it off, place the dough in a pan, and then place a pan of hot boiling water under that. So that takes 3 hours roughly, not so quick, but quicker than thawing it at room temperature which take six or more hours. Thanks Kadesma for the tip about baking the bread, cooling, then freezing!
Your welcome Amber, What seems to be the problem with the frozen bread dough? Is it to thick? I find that the bread dough tends to want to go back to it's original shape, that it's to elastic, I let it rest then roll again, pressing down a little, it takes time to thin it out, but I'll be darned if dough is gonna get around me :LOL: It took me some time to figure this out, but, I now just keep rolling til I get the size and shape I need for my roll..I'm making one with pizza sauce, salami, provolone , and parmesan for tomorrow...Hope I've helped a little:)
kadesma

amber - just so you'll know for future reference the ham/swiss/broccoli recipe I posted does not call for the onions to be cooked first. Just finely chop and use raw. I don't know if you were just "doing your own thing" or misread my recipe. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom