It is Alive...(56k warning)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warwick.hoy

Assistant Cook
I got the day off today and decided to create a monster! (of the yummy variety)

This is the recipe for the Pillow Loaf as described in Alton Brown's I'm just here for more food.

This is my second attempt at this recipe. I'm still working on it as we speak.

I wish I had gotten a before picture but here it is after about one and a half hour rise time (actually a little more, but the timer had already gone off).
img_548157_0_e436223a59710ec2bf18c6f41d03ad07.jpg

That is in a 13in diameter metal mixing bowl. It was roughly half that size when I put it there. I took the bus into town to do some Valentines Day shopping and that is what I came home to!

Now here it is after a 2nd kneading and loafed up onto a half hotel sheet with another one and a half hour rise time to go. (I accidentally digressed from the recipe)
img_548157_1_8a52c396610044c14980ce10ed6f6c02.jpg

It is to bake for 20-25 minutes when it is through with it's second rise. I'll keep you all posted if anyone is interested

amazing pics. What an awesome hunk of dough! And AB is my personal hero, I saw the recipe in the book and blew right by it... I make cookies, cheesecake, and meals. Bread is not my thing... now seeing this beast, I'm finding myself drawn to the kitchen...

This recipe is from his 2nd book. The Pillow Loaf (ppg 254 and 255) is delicious, The 1st time I made I started the oven too low (the page flipped on me) and was still able to save it. The top got a little over brown almost burnt, but it still turned out good. This time I'm trying to get it right. I skipped the proofing stage. I'll try it next time.

I have made his CC cookies too and love em. I like to use salted butter instead. I love the contrast of salt and sweet in that recipe.

And 45 seconds from going into the oven BRB

Here it is after the 2nd rise about to go into the 350 degree Oven (whoops forgot to preheat argh)

img_548198_0_0d466d9c23ce4263f2ecb2ad57c68e89.jpg

I scored the top to allow it to rise more in the oven. This thing is going to be way bigger than I imagined. I'm hoping this thing doesn't take over my oven.

img_548198_1_ed558f14e22600afa6a0c6cf6ebdf7d2.jpg

Man o Man, I abandoned this thread. Sorry guys. I was digging through a not very often visited or used email account and found these replys. I don't have any interior shots of that 1st loaf I made but here is what I did for Thanksgiving.

img_779473_0_8d40b53817c644f2ef82b2350da430f8.jpg

I just divided the dough and made two loaves and didn't score the dough. The one that turned out a little darker got diced up and made into dressing (stuffing)

no interior pictures of this one either, I though I may have had one saved but no luck.

Next time I make pillow loaf I will make it my mission to get a picture of it after I slice.

How high did they rise? What were the weights and L, W & H dimensions of the baked loaves?

on the second ones doubled in size. I used a 6qt container; that I bought at a restaurant supply shop, to monitor the doubling.

IIRC the dough went in at about 1.5 qts and double to about 3 qts (volume not weight).

I'd say that the dimensions of the finished loaves 13"x10"x5" give or take.

I can take some detailed measurements and photographs this weekend when I make some more bread.

Back
Top Bottom