My Favorite Garlic Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
I obtained this recipe from one of my favorite girlfriends decades ago, who was an accomplished baker. And while it sounds odd, I guarantee you it is delicious.

Take a half cup mayo, and add 3 to 5 cloves of minced garlic (depending on size and your love of garlic), and mix it up with enough paprika for a light salmon color. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour (and it will keep for several days - only getting better).

This is best on sliced sourdough. Butter the bread moderately, edge to edge. Use salted butter (if you only have unsalted butter, sprinkle with a light dusting of kosher salt afterwards). Then spread a light to medium coat of the mayo mixture, and top with finely grated parmesan cheese (while you can use the best Parmigiano-Reggiano, it will still be great with even the dry Kraft stuff).

Put on a cookie or baking sheet and bake 10 to 15 minutes at 350°F, until edges are brown. Note that you can't grill or toast this… it is important the garlic bakes for at least 10 minutes.

The end result is a slice of bread crispy on the crust and top line, with a hot, soft center that is perfectly laced with garlic.

Back
Top Bottom