My sloppy Joes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chile, I will PM you an easy and good tomato soup recipe some time tonight!
Thank you Lp, I would really appreciate that.

Here's my recipe for sloppy joes:

1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup ketchup
3 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup water

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, onion and green pepper. Drain and return to pan. Add the garlic powder, salt, pepper, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire Sauce and water. Stir well, cover, reduce heat and cook 20 minutes.

You could certainly leave out the salt, use no salt ketchup and a low-sodium Worcestershire sauce.
I will try that next time I have the fam over. Thanks again for the recipe post Mama.

This is close to what I make.. I add a bit more Brown sugar but balance it out with cider vinegar.. sweet/sour thing... I also use more Worcestershire sauce than that..
Great cooks think alike.

tomato soup is pretty simple, and I NEVER use bouillon.
I saute some onion, finely diced, maybe some shallot, and a bit of garlic, in some butter. Then I add diced/crushed/whatever, tomato. Then a bit of baking soda (just a small pinch) before I add milk or cream. Heat through. One can adjust it by adding your favorite herbs. Because there is BSoda in it, I rarely add salt. It helps reduce the acid in the tomatoes and keeps the milk from curdling.
and for sloppy joes, just add a low sodium tomato sauce instead of tomato soup.
(and just because someone is questioning your salt intake because of what you have told us about yourself/health issues, you don't need to jump to the conclusion that they don't know anything about a restrictive diet and how hard it is to limit oneself.)

I wasn't going to do this, but I share everything I know anyways. This sloppy joe recipe is from my cookbook - "You Can Be A Great Cook With Beef. I have received rave reviews from a couple of people on it, and one from an ex-DC regular. She stated that she hated the sloppy joe's that she grew up with, but that she loved this recipe, and that her husband took some to work, and now his co-workers are pestering her for the recipe. I am also including a home-made tomato soup recipe that I gave to a tomato grower at our local farmer's market. She like it so much that she rewarded me with a bushel of fresh, vine-ripened tomatoes, that were actually ripened on the plant. And since both recipes are made from fresh ingredients, you can alter the salt content to your needs. Finally, just for fun, I'm taking a unique tomato and broth soup from another of my cookbooks for you to try. It looks a little strange, but tastes great. Enjoy.I wasn't going to do this, but I share everything I know anyways. This sloppy joe recipe is from my cookbook - "You Can Be A Great Cook With Beef. I have received rave reviews from a couple of people on it, and one from an ex-DC regular. She stated that she hated the sloppy joe's that she grew up with, but that she loved this recipe, and that her husband took some to work, and now his co-workers are pestering her for the recipe. I am also including a home-made tomato soup recipe that I gave to a tomato grower at our local farmer's market. She like it so much that she rewarded me with a bushel of fresh, vine-ripened tomatoes, that were actually ripened on the plant. And since both recipes are made from fresh ingredients, you can alter the salt content to your needs. Finally, just for fun, I'm taking a unique tomato and broth soup from another of my cookbooks for you to try. It looks a little strange, but tastes great. Enjoy.

Ingredients:
1-4 oz. can low salt tomato paste
1-6 oz can lwo salt Tomato Sauce
1-12 oz. can dark red kidney beans
2 cloves minced garlic
2 medium yellow onion, diced
3 heaping tbs. chopped green pepper
1/4 cup dark brown sugar (for Diabetics, substitute an equal amount of sucrolose sweetener (Splenda or other brand) and a tsp. of molasses)
1 tsp. Chili Powder
2 tsp. Salt
1 tbs. Worcestershire Sauce
2 tbs. sweet pickle relish
1 bay leaf
2 tbs. olive oil
1 lb. ground beef

Place ground beef into a 12 inch covered frying pan and place over medium heat. While the pan is warming, add the olive oil to a 1 quart sauce pan and apply medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, and bay leaf to the oil and saute until the onion turns translucent. Add the remaining ingredients, stir until well blended, cover and turn down heat to simmer.
Lift the lid from the ground beef and break up the meat into bite sized chunks. Lightly salt the meat, stir, and cover. Check the meat and stir the sauce every five minutes until the meat is cooked through. Drain the meat into a suitable bowl and place the juice in the refrigerator for later use. Combine the meat and sauce and serve over whole grain hamburger buns.

From the kitchen of Bob Flowers

Tomato Soup From Scratch
This gives a very nice and creamy soup that will warm your bones. Seve with a good, crusty artisan bread.
Ingredients:
6 medium tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 Tbsp dry basil
1/2 tsp finely ground black pepper

Blanch the tomatoes for 30 seconds in boiling water to loosen the skins. Remove the skins. Saute the onion in 2 tbs. olive oil until softened, you may carmelize them if you wish, but it isn't essential. Add the minced garlic to the onion and cook for another half minute, then add the tomatoes. Heat through and use and immersion blender to liquify. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes more.

The beauty of this soup is that you can alter the herbs or add other spices to turn it into anything you want. You could add cream if you desire, which is very tasty, or throw in some thyme, rosemary, and ground beef to turn it into a Bolognese suace. Add carrots and celery to give it a more French flavor. You can really do whatever you want with it. But it's pretty tasty just as is too.
From the kitchen of Bob Flowers

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Havarti with Tomato, Tofu, & Herbs Soup[/FONT]
This tomato-based soup was also tried by my eldest daughter, at her home. She reported that as she was making it, test-tasting as she went, she really didn't like it at all. But she went ahead and completed the recipe. To her suprise, when all of the ingredients were added, and the soup had cooked for about twenty minutes, it became something wonderful. The sum of the parts was much better than the individual ingredients. So give it a try. This one is from my cookbook - "You Can Be A Great Cook With Soups, Stew, and Chowders.

[FONT=Courier New, monospace]And now, from the cookbook:

...Ready to try something new? I thought so. I'm going to

introduce you to an ingredient that you would normally

wouldn't eat. But when you use it in this soup, you will have

a new appreciation for it.[/FONT] [FONT=Courier New, monospace]But before I tell you what it is, I'm going to tell you something about it. It's high in protein, vitamins, minerals, isoflavones, and a host of other nutrients. Though it isn't fat free, it is low fat. It tends to capture the flavor of ingredients used with it. It has a rather bland flavor of its own, but is great for thickening creamy soups and fruit smoothies.[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, monospace]What is this miracle ingredient? I'm glad you asked. It is Silken-Firm Tofu. Now before you move on to the next recipe, remember, tofu has very little flavor of its own. In this soup, it is used as a thickening agent. The cheese, herbs, spices, and tomato provide all the flavor this soup can handle. Try it. Taste it and make your own decision. You just might be surprised.[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, monospace]1 cup Grape or Cherry Tomatoes, halved[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, monospace]1 cup Silken Firm Tofu[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, monospace]2 cups low salt, fat-free Chicken Stock or Broth[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, monospace]2 cloves Fresh Garlic, minced[/FONT]
1/2 [FONT=Courier New, monospace]tsp. Sweet Basil[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, monospace]1/8 tsp. Oregano[/FONT]
1/2 [FONT=Courier New, monospace]tsp. Salt[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, monospace]1/8 tsp. Thyme[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, monospace]1/4 tsp. Black Pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, monospace]8 oz. Havarti Cheese, cubed into bite-size chunks[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Heat the broth over a medium flame until simmering. Add the garlic herbs, and spices. Blend in the tofu with a wire whisk or immersion blender until smooth. Add the tomatoes and let simmer for 15 minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, monospace]Serve this soup piping hot, adding the cheese cubes to the bowls so that they get all soft and gooey. Serve with your favorite chilled gelatin flavor and some whipped cream. From the kitche of Bob Flowers
[/FONT]

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Goodweed of the North, So many very nice people, I don't know what to say but thank you from the bottom of my heart. I don't know when I will be able to try many of the recipes people posted but when I do I will surely give props to everyone of you.

Thanks gang.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom