Need a spark of direction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boy that does look good, Jeeks.
And it does look like a stromboli, but the dough doesn't look like it was rolled up with the meat and cheese. Close though.....
But I think AC is right. That's a meal unto itself and not a different bread type to make sandwiches out of.
But who needs sandwiches when you have that "meatbread"?

That is what I was thinking Pacanis. I could make that puppy and take it a day or two. I have a microwave in the office and I can just warm it there.

AC

Another option for variety is hatched. Haven't bought a lunch in NYC in 3 months. Great B'Fast too. I got tow small Stainless Steel containers and I take cheerios skim mikl and OJ for B'Fast. A ganola bar fot 10:00 Am snack and sannie for lunch. Works out great and tastes great.

I have a few in my collection. Will try to come back & post a few links - or if there are any that grab your interest.

Yup, Stromboli. Posted a recipe & there was a thread from Andy M.

Here's a bunch:
Stromboli Sandwich for Meat Lovers Recipe: Recipes: RecipeTips.com

Tomato Bread

Spinach & cheese swirls

Zuchinni (& onion)

Cinnamon, raisin, date, nut (great w cream cheese)

(Italian) Monkey Bread & Mexican Gorilla Bread

Pumpkin

Banana Nut

Lemon Tea Bread

Bialies or bagels

Homemade Hot Pockets

Calzone

I buy kalamata bread which is delish for sammys. Or make challa for my sammys and french toast, Try adding quinuo ? or spelt to your white bread or a few caraway seeds for a nice touch. Or make whole berry whole wheat easy to make and great for sammys

Got Garlic - I looked at the Parmesan bread and I love it, of course now I have to have the onion soup, it looks delish.

*Amy*- The Tomato Bread, the Spinich and Cheese Swirls and the hot pockets sound great. I woul dlove to try Biallies and Bagels over the winter. I do make Calzones, lov 'em.

I was thinking about Kitchenelf's idea of rosemary and olives in whitebread. Iwoke up thing ing about caroway seeds and I was wondering about maybe some fennel. I don't know about all together. Does anyone think this is dumb? Kind of white bread on steriods. :)

AC

Does anyone think this is dumb?

Not me. I'm forever experimenting with bread. Just made my first cinnamon-raisin NYT with 25% white whole wheat flour (Bob's Red Mill). Yummo!

Step out in faith. Nothing ventured...nothing gained.

JoeV

Not dumb at all. You may stumble upon something great. The only way to learn if something is good or not is to try. Go for it!

Well GB, I have entered an experiment. I took my 10 grain recipe posted here and subbed 2C Medium rye for the 10 grain flour, added 1 Tbsp Caraway, 3 Tbsp Ryebread enhancer and subbed 1/2C Flax seed for the 1/2 C Millers Bran that I usually use.

I have my 2 Labradors warmed up in case it comes out horrible. My usual Rye is made with Rye Sour, shich I have managed to kill through neglect over the summer. I am hoping for a lighter Rye for Sandwiches. We will see.

AC

Adillo - In MY mind I was thinking kalamata olives. I do like green olives after a long soak in a bit of vodka and vermouth! :rolleyes:

OK - KE - prolly off to the store tomorrow, I didn't grocery shop today and that idea is intriguing.

GB - hte bread came out OK, not spectacular. I got a great first proof in about an hour and a half. The second proof after two hours was only jsut above the loaf pan. I go tno oven spring at all. The bread is "different", but, not exciting. I could say that it is not exactly what my taste busds were looking for, thne again, I really don't know what's on their mind. That is why I started this thread.

AC

How about Italian-Flavored Bread? Not ITALIAN bread like you get at the bakery but bread with Italian spices rolled into it.

Garlic,majoram,rosemary,basil,oregano,just to name the usual suspects.
You could also use red wine vinegar and olive oil and parmesan cheese.
Maybe a little red pepper to add a slight nip?

Oh,I almost forgot sun dried tomatoes,especially bruschetta.

Use your imagination and I'm sure you'll come up with something tasty!

Last edited:
I just thought of one more thing.

You could make those bread bowls (hollowed out bread ball) and fill it with your favorite stew or soup.

French onion or clam chowdah for me please.

I can't think of anything that hasn't already been suggested at the moment, so I'll just add my two cents to one of the previous suggestions:

Potato bread is great stuff. Potato flour is available in a number of grocery stores near me, from Safeway (the big chain) to the little markets. It makes things a good deal easier if (like me) you don't otherwise make potatoes often. It's also nice to have around to add to other types of bread, it does nice things to the texture. That said, making potato bread from potatoes is cheaper and better. I usually get yukon gold or red potatos and boil them, though I've heard others say the flavor is better if you bake the potatoes (I haven't tried that). Here's a great recipe for a potato bread that's a big hit in my house. I've made it with both commercial yeast and with sourdough and it's always a favorite here. Have always left out the bacon though it sounds great to me. I live with a vegetarian who loves the bread, so I'd feel bad leaving her out.

The recipe I linked suggests that it works fine with leftover mashed potatoes, salt and all, but since I make mine specifically for bread use, I always boil them unsalted to keep my measures simple.

Thank you all for your suggestions. The making and packing of lunch hsa become quite a big deal in the house. If has now involved both of us and moved us to better food all around.

DW still hates sammiches. She decided that she likes soups. She has gotten involved and is rapidly becomming quite the littlw soup maker. This weekend she made corn chowder and a beef vedgetable soup. We repacl it in some individual bowls and some two serving bowls and freeze it. Now I make her half a sandwich (What happens to the other half, you ask? Can you say Labrador Retriever? They gotta eat too.) Frozen soup, which also acts to keep the rest of lunch cool. I get plain Yogurt and throw it in the mini chopper with some fresh fruit and a little Splenda. Voila! Different frutied Yogurt every day.
After a week or so of this, we ran short of soup one day and I put in a somtainer of the ready to use from the store. Well! Kitchenelf's thread obout canned sauce came right to mind. After you eat mostly all food that has benn made by us with ingredients that are readily pronouncable, and total controll of sodium and sugar content, prepared food really does not taste all that good.
As to the bread, Mostly for me now, I likd most all of the suggestions that I have read and have enough variety to get me through the next several months. Thank You all again.

AC

Well, we don't get a lot of choice over here.........but the best sandwich and toast bread is a recipe by King Arthur's white flour......if you're interested and can't find it let me know and I'll get it to you.......they used to publish it on the back of their bags of flour but no longer since they now have their own cookbook........hmmm..........if you're savvy enough you might be able to find it.......and of course you can doctor it up any way that you want to

Can potato bread be made at home? I never noticed any potato flour in the flour aisle, but I would think it could be had....
When I used to brown bag it, potato bread was a very nice changeup.

Potato flour?

Try using mashed potato mix instead!

I would recommend "Paradise Valley" brand.

Back
Top Bottom