Need a spark of direction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adillo303

Head Chef
I pack lunch for myself and DW daily. I all the bread for it. Over the summer, I have made a lot of NYT and 10 grain. I just noticed the my Rye Sour died, but I really don't want that for sandwiches.

My problem is that I would like to have something a bit different tsting for next weeks bread. I could just make white bread, haven't had any in a long time. I ws hoping for a dash of flavor, and suggestions?

TIA
AC

How about pumpernickle? I love pumpernickle, but not necessarily for sandwiches. You might though. It sure does have a lot of flavor if made right.

Can potato bread be made at home? I never noticed any potato flour in the flour aisle, but I would think it could be had....
When I used to brown bag it, potato bread was a very nice changeup.

I like breads with cured meat and cheese like a stromboli. Or pepperoni and cheese. YUM.

Herb breads are great too with some soup or toasted with a bowl of pasta.

(ok, I'm hungry now)

What if you add a bit of olive oil and rosemary to your mixture...or an herb of your choosing. A tomato sandwich made with that bread is pretty tasty! :chef:

I LOVE bread with oats but I buy it so....

GB - Pumpernickel will definately be on the winter "Luxury" list I wanted to try it for a while. Possibley not for sandwiches though.

Potato bread - Unique idea, I already looked anf found potato flour a mile from my house and a recipie. Possibility here.

LadyCook 61 - I have oats in my 10 grain and sometimes brush the loaf with egg and put oats on the outside. Never tried oat flour. That could work.

I think the baked in meat might fight with the sandwich meat, maybe not, I usually use turkey / ham / and salami or peperoni. This has gottem me into wanting to make stromboli though. I read a thread about it and got lost before I did it, now it's back in my mind.

Ketchenelf - Always a pleaseure, I have never even thought in my wildest dreams of olives, now, I am trying to think of the taste, Green or black, or both? I am thinking the rosemary and green olives could be interesting. I would have to make sure not to overpower the flavors with the dough. Maybe a white bread? Or maybe try the potato bread and add the oloves and rosemary? From what I read so far, the potato bread id difficult to make, which I find to be a good chalange. LOVE a chalange.

So far, I have enough ideas to keep me in great sandwiches for a long time. What I love about bread makeing the most is that I have made so many kinds so far, that I have never been bored with the falvor and I have so much ahead of me.

Thank You foe all the suggestions - More owuld be ogood.

AC

I should say, so far, I have done Whole wheat, rye, foccaccia, NYT, 10 grain, NYT with herbs du provence (sp) and challah.

GB - Just noticed this Am that my Rye Sour died. It was a loss, but, a replaceable one. For about 4 months, I made 2 loaves of Rye for breakfast every other week. LOVE IT for toast in the morning - Excellent with EGGS. I almost always have it around. Mine has a fairly strong flavor to it and for some reason hasn't rung my bell for Sammiches. I do agree, it is my favorite bread.

Off my own topic, but, I have a friend that just moved into a new house and I am considering sending a bread sampler as a housewarming present.

Oops sorry Adillo, I saw you mention that in your first post. My bad.

Have you tried making Challah? that can be a great sandwich bread.

I have a great formulation for Onion Bread. It yields two loaves, and the first loaf usually dissappears within 30 minutes of coming out of the oven.

Herbed Foccacia can make a very good sandwich, especially when teamed up with Italian cured meats and Buffalo Mozzarella to make an Antipasti Sandwich.

I think the baked in meat might fight with the sandwich meat, maybe not, I usually use turkey / ham / and salami or peperoni. This has gottem me into wanting to make stromboli though. I read a thread about it and got lost before I did it, now it's back in my mind.

I forget what it's called, hopefully someone can answer.

I used to get it in an Italian specialty shop/deli. It was bread with different cured meats inside and cheese. Sometimes even spinach or red peppers, etc. Kind of like a stromboli but different. You would eat it as-is. It's like the pic but with more dough.

a.jpg

No.

Maybe it was just the way they made it. Could just be called meat bread or something like that. Anyway, it's a stromboli but more like a loaf. You slice it like you would a loaf of bread. See how the stromboli is like 75% filling and 25% dough? What I'm thinking of is the opposite.

Ahh OK I know what you are talking about now. I have never known it to have a name other than meat bread or something similar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom