NY Times bread recipe--what FUN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The loaf I made

I have been trying to post this photo. Thanks to MJ I was able to post.

my best loaf yet

Here is a photo of my latest try at this incredible bread. It handled a bit different from my other trys. I do not mess with the ratio of ingredients, except to use 2/3rds whole wheat flour, but I could tell when I scraped it out of the bowl after the inital rise that something was different. I let the first rise go 24 hours, in a coolish kitchen, 67 degrees F. The sponge had more shape/body than before. And when I folded it over once for the 15 minute rest, it stood higher than before. I did use a ceramic insert for the first time and it worked very well. I will not use the cast iron configeration again, too heavy, unwieldy and the top did not fit well. When I went to fetch the crock pot insert I found my back up crock pot that I only use for parties and was happy to find that its lid was all glass. So I used that insert even though it is smaller than the insert I intended to use. One happy camper here.

Attachments

• DSCF0023 (3).JPG
    DSCF0023 (3).JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 178
Katie E, How did you do that? Posting? MJ helped me with the photo. My computer "zips-out" during the upload. Long story. I know about the click paste, Image Shack posting....but there is a problem posting photos for me.

I used a ceramic insert in my crock pot about 6 inches in diameter with a glass top. bethzaring, I also tried the cast iron pot. Too heavy and I did not like the shape. I also did the 2 cups white and 1 cup whole wheat. I prefer the whole wheat for health but not the taste. I prefer the taste of the unbleached white flour. I am waiting to view kitchenelf's loaf. I posted
detailed steps for this bread. I have a "bizillion" bread recipes....but this is the easiest and can make homemade bread and still attend to my job at the Advertising Agency and teach at our local College. Isn't it fun? Yes?

Aria said:
Katie E, How did you do that? Posting? MJ helped me with the photo. My computer "zips-out" during the upload. Long story. I know about the click paste, Image Shack posting....but there is a problem posting photos for me.

How'd I do what? Post your picture? If that's what you mean, all I did was hit the "quote" button at the bottom right of your post when I wanted to post a reply to this thread. The picture in your post came up when I did that.

And, yes, it's great fun having this kind of delicious bread and do other things, too. Hooray!!

That is a great shape. Thanks for the idea.
My breads are more 'holey" usually. Just an FYI.
I know a lot of others on a lot of boards are/have used WW flour (a cup), but this style of bread just seems to scream "white" to me, at least. I don't really every buy artisanal WW breads or baguettes.
I also think that this bread is quite good the next day (probably because it is so moist) which is unlike the usual artisanal/baguette bread.

bethzaring, Neat photo. Color, lights, pot placements. SUPER. I would like
my slice....toasted and lightly buttered.

Notice you have ahia in your avatar. I not a Geography Major....but is there REALLY such a place?

Candocook, I prefer the crock pot insert. One it is not as heavy Two great shape. I store the bread on my counter on a bread board wrapped in a towel for first day.

Later I put it in a plastic bag which I leave open. The bread stores well. If you preffer the hard crust....do not put in plastic. We usually toast our bread and storing in plastic bag works for us. And you can cut a thin slice.

The professor learned to things today: 1. from Katie E..Quote (always wondered) thanks.

2. from bethzaring: ahia is really Ohio

Thanks

I am in the process of trying to make this bread. I have no confidence that it'll turn out. I made the dough yesterday and it sat in my kitchen for 20 hours. I ended up with very wet dough that is now (after much sticking) in some sort of shape sitting on a towel for a couple of hours, so it will double in bulk. I have my doubts.

I used fFeischmann's yeast and all purpose flour plus the salt and water in the amounts called for.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else experienced these problems? What a mess.

continue on my friend. I hope you have plenty of flour on the towel. It will be difficult to tell if it doubles in bulk. Your ingredients sound good. Yes, it can seem like a mess. Next time, make sure there is plenty of flour on the table when you first turn out the dough for the turn and 15 minute rest and there is lotsa flour on the towel for the 2 to 3 hour final rest. Look at this thread from the beginning, someone posted their personal pictures and tips, they are excellent. I printed them out and use them for my guide lines.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I really hope it turns out o.k. I read more of the previous posts, as you suggested, and I have some small hope that I maypull this off. I'll let you know.

lyndalou said:
I am in the process of trying to make this bread. I have no confidence that it'll turn out. I made the dough yesterday and it sat in my kitchen for 20 hours. I ended up with very wet dough that is now (after much sticking) in some sort of shape sitting on a towel for a couple of hours, so it will double in bulk. I have my doubts.

I used fFeischmann's yeast and all purpose flour plus the salt and water in the amounts called for.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else experienced these problems? What a mess.

I HOPE YOU SEE THIS!!!

You need to add some more flour. Take it off the towel now and add some flour until it is "soft as a baby's bottom". It isn't meant to be wet on the towel.

For adding the flour at this stage, I flour the counter liberally (1/2C maybe a bit more?). Then I just turn the glob of dough over so both sides are floured--in the case of sticky globs, I have used a pastry scraper or spatula. I just keep gently turning it until it will form that baby's bottom thing. I usually have a good bit of flour left.

Also, I have begun to allow mine to rise in a bowl--others have used a colander. Put saran wrap in a bowl that is about twice the size of the dough. Put some cornmeal on it, put in the dough (that you have added more flour to at this point). Allow it to rise--I did some yesterday and could have baked after about 2 hours, but let it rise several more.
Then plonk into your baking setup.

On another board someone also said that the dough was wet--there is no reason to keep it that way--ADD FLOUR to make a dough that while not at all stiff, it isn't sticky in any way.

Again, don't make this recipe difficult. It may need tweaking from the recipe, and it isn't an exact cup for cup measurement (like a cake), but it is easy and delicious.

Last edited:
Well, Candocook, I wish I had read your message a lot earlier. My dough was very wet and I had one hard time getting it to form anything. I ended up with a free form loaf of bread. The crust is quite chewy (had a hard time slicing it with my bread knife) and the inside is soft. Is this the way yours turns out?
I will make this again, but will follow your good advice and use more flour.

Thanks for the information.

Lyndalou

lyndalou said:
Well, Candocook, I wish I had read your message a lot earlier. My dough was very wet and I had one hard time getting it to form anything. I ended up with a free form loaf of bread. The crust is quite chewy (had a hard time slicing it with my bread knife) and the inside is soft. Is this the way yours turns out?
I will make this again, but will follow your good advice and use more flour.

Thanks for the information.

Lyndalou

Surely do wish you had seen it. No, that is not how it should turn out. The crust is ultra crisp and thick and inside is nicely moist--like you would like bread to be.
Please try again--right now!!! It takes virtually no time and no materials. The step to watch is adding the flour.
Use 1 1/2C water, 3C flour. I use up to a half tsp of yeast. And the salt.
I promise--you can do it.
Slice this bread and use it for croutons.

The dough is supposed to be heavy and wet. Here's the original article which refers to the wetness of the dough.

"He mixes a very wet dough, about 42 percent water, which is at the extreme high end of the range that professional bakers use to create crisp crust and large, well-structured crumb, both of which are evident in this loaf. "

"By starting this very wet dough in a hot, covered pot, Mr. Lahey lets the crust develop in a moist, enclosed environment. "

It really shouldn't need much more flour to get it to the proper consistency for the second rise. It is not supposed to be "like a baby's bottom," which is the descriptive standard for a kneaded bread. It's supposed to be a wet dough which has enough extra flour added to hold its shape.

I've made this bread at least 2 dozen times at this point and have had to add a significant amount of extra flour a few times to get the dough to hoild shape, so I did some subsequent research on it. IMO if you let the first rise go much beyond 16 hours you run the risk of having some of the water "weep" out of the dough. I don't have my Cookwise right here but it says that if the dough is left to rise for too long, some of the water can be forced out of it.

I have experienced that myself with the dough going from shaggy and heavy and bubbly, etc at 12-14 hours to somewhat separated at 20 hours. With a 24 hour rise there definitely was some water that had separated from the dough. Under these circumstances it was impossible to get the dough to keep it's shape without adding maybe 1/3 - 1/2 cup more flour.

So now I try to let the first rise go 16 hours and no more.

Also -- skip the towel and use a bowl like others have said.

Thanks again for the advice. I am definitely going to try again, as soon as I can get some more flour. Tomorrow is soon enough.

Really good idea to use the one I have for croutons.

I'll also cut down on the rising time. It sort of got away from me, as I started it at 9am . Got up at 5am to finish it. I don't give up easily so you can count on hearing from me again.

Lyndalou

lyndalou, You should follow the recipe. It says 12 to 18 hours. And please
see previous posts with detailed info. Many have tried and perfected it.
You can too. 3 cups flour 1/4 teaspoon yeast 1-1/4 teaspoon salt 1-1/2 cups warm water. I believe a photo of my loaf is on page 20. Good luck. Looking forward to your bread photo.

Back
Top Bottom