Pretzel recipes anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dina

Executive Chef
I feel like baking some pretzels but would like a soft dough that I can add sugar and cinnamon, or other ingredients to. Does anyone have a recipe for them? Thanks in advance.

Here's the one I've used for a long time. They're good but only last a day or two before they get tough/dry.

Soft Oaty Pretzels

3—3 ½ c AP flour
1 ¼ c oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
2 Tbsp sugar
1 (1/4 oz package or about 2 ¼ tsp) quick rising yeast
1 ½ tsp salt
¾ c milk
¾ c water
2 Tbsp margarine or butter, softened

1 egg, slightly beaten
¼ c oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)

In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, oats, sugar, yeast and salt. Mix well. Heat milk and water until very warm (120-130F), and add margarine. Mix in flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough that pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes, adding additional flour if dough is sticky. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let dough rest on floured surface, 10 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 2 large baking sheets and set aside. Divide dough into 24 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 12” long rope. Form into a pretzel, letter, number or shape. Place pretzels on prepared baking sheet. Cover loosely with plastic wrap; let rest 10 minutes, or until slightly risen. Brush tops of pretzels with beaten egg; sprinkle with oats, pressing lightly.

Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheets and cool on a wire rack. Store tightly covered at room temperature. Best if eaten within a couple days of making.

Oh I saw this pic of beautifully baked pretzels in the member photo section. They were made my Tdejarnette. She sent me the recipe today. I'll forward it to you in a bit :)

Back
Top Bottom