Question about bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Typically, when you bake a loaf of bread, you mix yeast with other ingredients to make the dough that makes the finished loaf of bread. The yeast is what provides the gases that rise the bread in most recipes.

the answer is yes - all grains have traces of natural yeast on them - milled/processed ,,, the yeast remains.

if you buy/use/maintain a sough dough starter, it will gradually morph to include yeast types in the flour you bought/use. the woe of many a bread baker hoping for 'the old fashion San Fran sour dough'

the level of naturally included yeast is so minor that bakers add yeast to ensure timely and 'proper' results.

I buy, rise and bake Bridgeford Parker House Style rolls.
Since I'm not a baker especially bread I have found these rolls to be amazing. They leave the shelves quickly around here especially during the holidays.
If you haven't tried them they are excellent and easy. It does take about 2.5 hours or longer to rise before baking, but they bake beautifully in 10 minutes.
They make outstanding garlic rolls too. I make an oil, raw crushed fresh garlic and Parsley dressing I brush on heavily after they come out of the oven.
I then sprinkle course Kosher salt and some Parmesan Regiano over them before serving. The cheese is optional. The course salt is not.

When I'm making a double loaf batch of bread, if I add 2 t of yeast, then the bread will take twice as long to rise as when I add 1 T and 1 t of yeast to the dough. Usually I like to start baking before 9 am and be done by 1 or 2 in the afternoon, so I use more yeast. Also I like the taste of the yeast so using more yeast is partially for flavor.

Back
Top Bottom