Stale bread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
crewsk, I think this is it. It's from "Who's Your Mama, Are You Catholic, and Can You Make a Roux?" I thought it was a Martha recipe, but I was wrong. Thought I better get this to you while I was thinking about it. Gotta do more baking tomorrow.

Whiskey Sauce

1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup sugar
4 egg yolks, beaten
1/4 cup bourbon, rum, or brandy

In a double boiler, melt butter over low heat, then add sugar gradually, beating with a fork or wire whisk. Do not allow mixture to become too hot. Add beaten eggs, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and add your choice of liquor. Spoon over bread pudding and serve immediately.

He's never been to my house so I don't expect him to come anytime soon. But I'd love to see the look on his face if he did! Hey, maybe I should eat a bowl of it right before we go to my in-laws for Christmas! :twisted: That would be real fun, considering that hubby's oldest brother is a preacher. :LOL:

Thanks, mudbug, will try after the holidays. Got too many calories already programmed in for the rest of this year. Also, sounds great for cold weather and January is always the worst month here in Frostbite Falls.

Good stuff, Mud! Looks like I have a bottle of Bacardi Gold in my future, uh, for cooking of course! Better get a pint of it, I'm trying to cut down on the boozing. Idea! I can make it New Year's Eve, that way I have an excuse if I drink some! Am I pathetic or what? :LOL:

If your standard bread recipe is fairly "neutral", what about using it for stuffing? Or for ground meat mixes that use "fresh" breadcrumbs as part of the ingredients (eg - bread crumbs soaked in milk, rung dry and added to a mixture of ground beef and ground pork + seasonings of your choice for meatballs/meatloaf). Plus there's always bread crumbs if you allow the bread to stale until quite hard.

Back
Top Bottom