Table for kneading?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
I don't have much space for kneading dough. Was wondering if they sell a table that can handle downward pressure from bread making?

I bought myself one of these

il_570xN.2919659149_dp1p.jpg

Just for that purpose.

I bought myself one of these

il_570xN.2919659149_dp1p.jpg

Just for that purpose.

Great idea. I have needed some extra counter space forever it seems. However it would be difficult to knead dough over the range with our exhaust fan.
But it would give me more counter space. Thanks!

Edit: I will build my own butcher block top for it.

Sir Loin! that's beautiful! Where from? Does it have a name? What's it called?

Yes where did you get it and how much was it? TIA

Last edited:
Any table should be able to handle that much pressure.

This YouTube channel, Pasta Grannies, is all about older women in Italy making unusual types of pasta. Most of them seem to have a tabletop pasta-making surface like this for that purpose. They just put it on a kitchen or dining room table. The sides contain the flour. I think it would work just as well for bread. If you or someone you know has basic carpentry skills, it would be pretty easy to make.
https://youtu.be/DMa02mpVchk

Last edited:
got mine from a furniture auction, but Amazon has a large number available in a wide range of styles, sizes and prices. So does Wally World. Dragnlaw, they're also available at Amazon.ca, eh.

If you're banging you head on the range hood, you can also put it over your sink.

Last edited:
OMGoodness! such a variety! Actually I saw one that I have, never dreamed of putting it on the stove nor over the sink and I certainly never paid 300$ US or Cdn for it!
Don't have a stove now myself, nor do I see DIL using one over the stove, but she might consider one that would fit over the sink. Not completely as then one would still be able to slip dirty dishes into the sink while doing the prep. Hmmm, food for thought.
Thanks for the lead, Sir Loin.

a 1.5 - 2.0 inch (38 - 50mm) thick of end or side grain board is a super kneading support.

best is - "unfinished wood." raw wood absorbs moisture from the dough, creates the friction needed for hand kneading.

with a bit of clever thinking/planning, one could put 'feet' (corners and center) on the thick board to make it usable over the sink, the cooktop, or flat out on a counter.

I put my 20" X 14" pastry board across one of my sinks and knead on it. Before I got the pastry board, I used my carving board. The side with the groove for collecting meat juices was for meats, the completely flat side was for baking.

IMG_20220702_174156259_HDR.jpgIMG_20220702_174214892_HDR.jpg

...nor do I see DIL using one over the stove, but she might consider one that would fit over the sink. Not completely as then one would still be able to slip dirty dishes into the sink while doing the prep...
I have two different plastic cutting boards I use over the sink. The black one is 17" x 13 ¾", the white one is 18" x12" Neither one cost much; probably under $15 each. The white one is perfect for the side with the garbage disposal - which I don't really use. But the gap from the back edge of the board to the end of the sink opening is enough for pushing waste into a garbage bowl. I pull up an old barstool that Himself cut down a couple of inches, slip my feet into the cabinet, and can do a lot of prep work sitting down. IMG_20220702_174254295_HDR.jpgIMG_20220702_174303051_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
It would seem to me that any surface you use for kneading would have to be secured or anchored in some way to keep it from sliding all over the place was you knead.

Like Goddess, I use a large cutting board, grooved side down, for kneading dough.

Andy is right, the board can slip, so I put a non-slip plastic sheet under it. The sheet is the kind you line drawers with to keep dishes from sliding all over the place. Been using this for years, and it sure works for me!

I have two silicone potholders that are bulky and awkward for me to use as such. Instead, I use them just for this purpose - to make cutting boards and plates skid proof when cutting on the counter.

I have a large unfinished wood bread board that is heavy, I love it. But don't use it as much any more due to the weight. I tend to use thin plastic chopping boards (several sizes from large to small) for kneading and chopping. I place a silicone baking mat under to keep it from sliding around the table.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom