The Price of a bageutte

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kb0000

Washing Up
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]In an earlier post, I pointed out that there are no good USA baguettes compared to the French originals. Here, I look at the price of USA’s third rate bread. The price of a baguette in UT's Heber City and Park City grocery stores ranges form $2.49 to $8. The price at the largest supermarket in Paris is 67 cents.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Wasting your money on a third rate USA baguette is monumental rip off. Don’t do it. [/FONT]

Last edited:
I've never been to France, so I can't compare what I get here to what I can get there.
I like the baguettes I can get here in New York. Sure , there are some that aren't that great ( or fresh), but in general, I have nothing to complain about and have never been disappointed.

Im not doubting that the French baguette abroad is better, or even cheaper, but the way I look at it, the average roundtrip flight from NY to Paris is in the $700 (and higher) range. So that bumps up the price of a French baguette for me from 67 cents, to $700.67.

Maybe one day Ill get to France and experience a top notch baguette, but until then , Ill suffer with the ones I get in NY.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]This is a reasonable attitude, with one exception-- that the French produce superior bread for a much lower price means you should be really mad at USA’s capitalist corporate rip off economy. What’s killing your pocket book [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]corporate manipulation of the [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] price of the basics, like bread and gas, and its all caused by corporate [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]corruption. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]. [/FONT]

However important it seems to you, I'm not sure it makes sense to compare the economies and cultures of two countries. Too many variables.

As much as I love bread, my world nor my actions revolve around it.
I know where I can get good bread locally.
I know I can make decent bread.
I have no plans or intentions on traveling abroad in the near future.
Paying a few extra bucks for bread isn't going to make or break me,
Im more content that My New York Bagels are most likely superior to those abroad, and much more important to me than a French Baguette .

And the icing on the cake, I have to watch my carbs so I rarely eat any of that crap anyway :)

From Travis Tritt..

"Here's a quarter, call someone who cares" :ermm:

Ross
:LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

I haven't bought a loaf of bread since 1976 - I only remember the year because of an injury, and I couldn't knead bread dough, so I got a KA mixer for Christmas! I had started making bread to save money - back then, a pound of white bread cost 3¢ to make, whole grain breads 15-17¢ a pound. Now, it is still one of the biggest savers, compared to store bought, and once you've mastered the art of baking it, it is much better. Even using artisan flour, since very little other ingredients are used - just flour, yeast, water, and salt - a pound loaf is under a dollar, and if using a starter, even less. Of course I can't duplicate the wood fired ovens of some bakeries, but those are the exception to the rule. I don't make many white breads anymore, just for occasional dinners; the rye breads are my favorites, though I still don't make them frequently. But it saves a lot of money, when I do, and I couldn't find bread like that anywhere, around here.

:LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

I haven't bought a loaf of bread since 1976 - I only remember the year because of an injury, and I couldn't knead bread dough, so I got a KA mixer for Christmas! I had started making bread to save money - back then, a pound of white bread cost 3¢ to make, whole grain breads 15-17¢ a pound. Now, it is still one of the biggest savers, compared to store bought, and once you've mastered the art of baking it, it is much better. Even using artisan flour, since very little other ingredients are used - just flour, yeast, water, and salt - a pound loaf is under a dollar, and if using a starter, even less. Of course I can't duplicate the wood fired ovens of some bakeries, but those are the exception to the rule. I don't make many white breads anymore, just for occasional dinners; the rye breads are my favorites, though I still don't make them frequently. But it saves a lot of money, when I do, and I couldn't find bread like that anywhere, around here.

I totally agree that homemade bread is less expensive and has a wonderful taste, if one hones his/her baking skills. :yum::chef:

My comment had nothing to do with that really. ;)

Ross

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Wasting your money on a third rate USA baguette is monumental rip off. Don’t do it. [/FONT]
So where do you buy your baguettes? Do you hop on a flight every morning, fly to Marseille and pick up a baguette?

I haven't been in an Albertson's in quite a while, but I remember that they would have a very personable old lady pushing a shopping cart around offering fresh baked baguettes, still warm from the oven. I think, at that time, they were 99¢

KB, now I am curious, how many different places and stores / bakeries in the US have you visited and tried the baguette?

Hmm, with all of the waxing poetic you have done about a French baguette, I would have thought it had been much longer.

Short story - we moved from OH to MA in 2000. I longed for the foods I enjoyed at home that just weren't made or sold in MA. Each time we went back, we would go to old haunts, buy familiar foods, and reminisce. Because our kids are still back in OH, we visit OH on a regular basis. As the years have gone by, and we've revisited old restaurants and foods, we've found that our memory of food had lost the ability to separate nostalgia (yup, that word again) from actual flavor. Nearing the 22 year mark, the only memory that hasn't deviated from the actual food is Country Maid ice cream - a homemade ice cream stand I've visited for more calories than I could count since the late 1990's. Well, that and our favorite stands at the iconic West Side Market because - Market!

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]In an earlier post, I pointed out that there are no good USA baguettes compared to the French originals. Here, I look at the price of USA’s third rate bread. The price of a baguette in UT's Heber City and Park City grocery stores ranges form $2.49 to $8. The price at the largest supermarket in Paris is 67 cents.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
[/FONT]
Firstly, you´re making a wild generalisation by comparing "French" baguettes to "USA" baguettes. I don´t doubt that Parisian baguettes are excellent; but have you ever tried one from Dieppe, or Marseille, or Ramatuelle?
Then you talk about Heber City and Park City. You can hardly compare bread from two small villages in Utah, with a combined population of less than 25,000, to that produced in a huge city like Paris. Nor can you compare prices: a pint of beer in Australia is not the same price as a pint in London, Bonn, Prague or Milan. Different economies.Statistically speaking, a non-comparison. Like comparing bananas with potatoes.
Evidently you prefer French baguettes, but to say US baguettes are 3rd rate is an extreme, utterly subjective comment. I´ve eaten excellent baguettes in Ohio, New York and Miami.
Disdainful generalisations about one country or another country´s food are not a good starting point for discussion.

Back
Top Bottom