What do you do when out of bread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, oops, I forgot to explain that I need it in a hurry - no time to wait for yeast to rise, hence my idea of making baking soda bread...but not a dessert-type loaf.

I sometimes also make flat pan-fried breads, just flour and water and oil.
Quick bread or soda bread is always the answer when you want rise but don't have the time.

Oh, oops, I forgot to explain that I need it in a hurry - no time to wait for yeast to rise, hence my idea of making baking soda bread...but not a dessert-type loaf.

I sometimes also make flat pan-fried breads, just flour and water and oil.

Real soda bread isn't sweet and it doesn't contain fruit, so your bread is much closer to the original!

chopper said:
Your bread looks great! I will have to try it sometime. I put bread in the freezer too, always with a paper towel inside the bag. It prevents freezer burn, and holds the extra moisture when the loaf is thawing.

I forgot about the paper towel trick, Chopper!

These lines are just cracking me up. Soma, my husband and I have a ... I don't know, call it a hobby? Of going to monasteries and convents when we travel. Yes, we were born Roman Catholic, but don't practice. But we love going to these places. I took my cousin before he died, and the peace he got from it made my life worthwhile that year.

Last edited by a moderator:
no bread use rice no rice use pasta no pasta go ask neighbor for bread no neighbor use car no car use household ingredients to make something on the fly no household ingredients omit bread omit bread lack carbs lack carbs be on low carb diet be on low carb diet lose weight lose weight get skinny get skinny look better know what i'm saying?

I didn't really answer the question. Husband is on a controlled carb diet. I have to look at the carb count when I buy bread. Most other starches/sweets you can eyeball, but bread? I've seen terribly different carb counts from one slice (roll, etc) to another, and of course bakeries don't post. So if we run out of bread and I don't feel like shopping we have rice or pasta of some sort (he gets 1/2 cup of either for lunch, a full cup for supper) until I get to the store. I'm not a huge sandwich lover. Husband says I take after my daddy, who loves sandwiches. BUT we destroy them when eating somehow. DH says he's watched us eat (for 30+ years now) and cannot figure out what we're doing that makes sandwiches destintegrate before we take our third bite. I rarely order a sandwich at a restaurant for that reason. They turn to mush in my hands before I can get a meal's worth out of them.

How do you make pita pockets, CSW?

I guess I didn't explain well.....my question referred to when you are completely and utterly out of bread....none in the freezer, none anywhere, no store nearby (I live 30 mins drive from town); AND you want the bread for eating within an hour or so.

Seems as if some of you are way more organized than I am, and always have some bread on hand, or are willing to do without. My DH is a bread man, needs bread, can't cook.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom