What's your favorite grilled cheese sandwich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

merstarr

Senior Cook
My favorite is:
Rye bread with seeds, buttered on the outside. Equal amounts of Swiss gruyere and extra sharp cheddar layered twice, with large tomato slice in between. Browned on both sides in buttered nonstick skillet, then covered until cheese melts. Mmmmmmmmm!

The possibilities are endles.. really anything goes when it comes to grilled cheese. I made one last week with roasted vegies, swiss cheese and sourdough bread.

I also like a good multi-grain bread, with cheddar cheese, a few slices of bacon, and a slice of tomato.

Fried bologna is awesome too with american cheese on wheat bread.

Juliev and SierraCook,
All of your ideas sound great! Thanks.

Multigrain whole wheat bread, outside buttered and dipped in parmasean reggiano, inside with fontina, guyere, and slivered roasted ham, mustard and mayo.

Or a bagette sliced thin, brushed with olive oil and toasted on both sides and Brie spread on it when still hot.

I like just plain whitebread and kraft american cheese. However I spread mayo on the bread instead of butter sprinkle a litlte salt,pepper,and onion powder on them.

grill some sliced deli ham in a skillet... butter one side of two slices of potato bread.. top with ham and some velveeta cheese. leave in pan until both sides are browned and cheese is melted. yummay!

pumpernickle or rye grilled with butter on the outside and a thin slice of swiss cheese and thinly sliced roast beef or corn beef between the two slices of bread

Heat Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a skillet. Butter 2 slices of sourdough bread. Between the slices I add thinly sliced deli ham (usually a maple of some sort) and turkey (usually a smoked). Sliced deli cheese......I love a variety and then I smear on a spicy mustard.

A fav. grilled sandwich of mine is a play on panzanella – the traditional bread salad of Tuscany, in which stale peasant bread is dressed & softened w/ vinaigrette & tomato juice. My variation has whole slices of the Italian country loaf roasted w/ mozzarella (or goat cheese) plus grilled red bell peppers that have been brushed w/ balsamic vinegar & olive oil and then topped w/ the juicy salad.

Konditor said:
A fav. grilled sandwich of mine is a play on panzanella – the traditional bread salad of Tuscany, in which stale peasant bread is dressed & softened w/ vinaigrette & tomato juice. My variation has whole slices of the Italian country loaf roasted w/ mozzarella (or goat cheese) plus grilled red bell peppers that have been brushed w/ balsamic vinegar & olive oil and then topped w/ the juicy salad.

sounds yummy konditor!

Classic american on white bread, but MICROWAVED:

Toast 2 pieces of bread.
Butter the outside of the toasts.
Overlap 2 pieces of American on 1 slice so that it hangs over the sides of the toast just a bit. Top it with other slice.
Place on plate in microwave, heat just for a few seconds till melted cheese hangs over sides.
Take out, cool for a minute.
Thats the only way I make it now.

the soft multi-grain with a hint of sweetness to it, avacado, thinly sliced layers of provolone, sprouts, and mayo. cook in real butter. lots of real butter. :D

yumyumyum

Just made this up today... it's kinda similar to others in this thread, but mebbe different enough to describe...

fry up a few pieces of bacon - chop em into bits

take some sandwich ham n turkey, fry it up, add bbq sauce, and horseradish mustard.

mix the chopped bacon in

layers as follows:

buttered bread

cheesh slice

meat mix

lettuce

cheese slice

buttered bread

YUM!

I just make shit kinda randomly - this one worked famously!

Good Sourdough
butter
homegrown tomato slices
avocado slices
fried egg
bacon
munster cheese
tabasco

Now that's my grilled cheese!

The very best of "grilled cheese" is, of course, the Monte Cristo sandwich...

The "French Toast" covers using a Euro bread, well soaked in egg and milk, double smoked ham, thinly sliced, and/or smoked turkey breast, some stinky Provolone slices in there to melt, fried in the traditional wafts of grease...

Nobody said this was supposed to be "heart-healthy"? did they...just relating "as good as it gets", even if you eat it with a knife and fork. instead of your fingers...

Lifter...

does anyone else put brown mustard mixed with maple syrup on their monte cristo? i can't eat one without it...

I have never made a monte cristo sammich.. but looks good!

I see that Smuckers has come out with grilled cheese sammiches .. called Uncrustables... geared towards kids.

Back
Top Bottom