Where to get 5-grain for bread making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a bit stumped. I'm looking for 5-grain for bread making, but haven't found any at my local grocer. Are single packages that can be purchased common, or is it a case of having to buy each grain item and mix?

Look for Bob's Red Mill products. I use their Seven Grain blend for one of my bread recipes. I would think you could substitute the seven for the five if you need to, as long as you measure it the same.

Azure Standard has a fairly good 9 grain mix. I make it for breakfast. It's not ground for bread making.

Do you grind your grains or just you are looking for ground 5 grain?

Thanks, guys. I'll look into both solutions below.

Look for Bob's Red Mill products. I use their Seven Grain blend for one of my bread recipes. I would think you could substitute the seven for the five if you need to, as long as you measure it the same.
I'm looking for more wholesome solutions than plain-ol' white bread. Doesn't really matter to me how many grains it has.

Do you grind your grains or just you are looking for ground 5 grain?
At this point, just buying to mix in, no extra grinding.

AO74 Do you happen to live near any Indian markets? I ask because they have many types of whole grain flours, plus a number of legume flours, the most common being besan, which is a type of chick pea flour, but there are some lentil flours, too. There are several millet flours - a nutritious grain, that goes mostly to birds, in this country. Ragi, bajra, and sanwa are the three I can think of, but there may be more. Jowan flour is ground sorghum. Atta is WW durum flour, but beware - sometimes it is not 100%, so there you have to read the labels carefully. You don't want that for loaf breads, anyway - better for the flatbreads, which is why it's the most common there. But you'll still find those other whole grain flours.

We make bread every week or so.
Whole grain wheat flour is least expensive to buy ground in a North Dakota Mill Ground brand then King Arthur brand. Consider gluten for strength, squash or something for moisture.

It might seem like and obvious question, but what are the five grains are you looking for?

I'm guessing that you normally have a brand of 5 grain mix that you buy.

Now, get back in the yard with the Irish furniture.

Last edited:
...I'm looking for more wholesome solutions than plain-ol' white bread. Doesn't really matter to me how many grains it has...

I have a white bread recipe I make because the bread is perfect for grilled cheese and BLT sandwiches. I substitute white whole wheat flour for one half of the bread flour called for. It actually makes the bread even better without changing the flavor. The one I buy at an Amish bulk food store has a bit higher protein measure than the bread flour.

Back
Top Bottom