106 Year Old Voter...But that's Not What This Is About

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TATTRAT

The Dude Abides
Moderator Emeritus
DISCLAIMER: Now this is NOT a political thread, please don't take it there

106-year-old voter shares hopes, secrets - CNN.com

That being said, this is just amazing to me. A voter who remembers a time where she could NOT vote simply because of her race, not to mention the Presidents she has lived thorough.

Now, on another note, could you imagine living that long?! Would you want too? Her family has passed on, her only surviving child is 83, her husband is long past...but imagine all that she has lived through:the birth of aviation, world war, segregation, computers, TV, I mean the list could go on and on. She seems like a really cool lady, and I for one applaud her.

So, what are your thoughts, would you want live that long?

Depends on quality of life for me....
If I'm sitting in a chair drooling, people having to wait on me hand and foot, wiping me up, etc, no. If I were to live that long I would want to have the ability to share and answer questions about all the amazing things I've seen....
That said...
Could anything that incredible change that much between 1974 and 2080, as compared to her 106 years of changes?

Like Suzie, I only want to live as long as I have my mental faculties (such as they are) and a reasonable quality of life. But if I could be anything like the lady in this story, I would be delighted! Thanks so much for sharing this, Tattrat. It is an amazing story and my brain is still buzzing at the thought of how much history she has been witness to.

It makes me wish I had been wise enough to ask my grandmother so many more questions before she died 34 years ago. She was born in 1886 and lived to be 86. She lived with my husband and me for a year before she died, but I was very young and didn't realize she wouldn't be here forever! If I had it to do over, I'd have kept a tape recorder in my pocket all the time. Just the stories I remember her telling me were amazing.

If i had health and wealth then I would want to live on, but if I did not have both of those then it would not be worth it.

106 years must have had something going on! Saw a nun in Rome who is 106 and she is voting this year. Last time she voted was for Eisenhower. Although the reporter did not encourage her she did say who she was voting for. Also mentioned this president will have to fill pretty difficult position more so than past presidents. Still walked in the church, read in her bible, seemed to be very alert and also said this president should be like a father and love his country family. Impressed me that there are some people who retain their faculties. Must be around for some reason for the rest of us.

My cousin's father came to live with her and he had turned 96. Her mother and her husband have both passed away and they are together. Makes me so happy. He gets around without anyone's help. Even drives car. Not during rush hour.

Tattrat, there's another woman who made news this election, at 106. See: 106-Year-Old Nun Votes From Rome.
I'd love to hear both their stories. I think listening to older folks stories is so neat. 106 is exactly 1/2 my life. So that makes me middle aged? LOL!
My first opportunity to vote was in 1974 and I was really just a kid at 19, but was so honored and nervous walking into the polls the first time. And each time since. I can't imagine how these ladies - especially yours, Tattrat, felt. The changes I've see just in my life time are crazy, but more radical from 1902 to 1955, than 1955 to now.
Do I want to live to be that old? You bet, as long as what Suzie says, as independant as my old bones will allow.

A very dear friend of ours was either 104 or 105 when she died. She was sharp as a tack up to the end. The stories she told were amazing! I would love to live a life as long and full as hers.

:)Barbara

It is amazing to me that they were both 106 and half way around the world from each other wanting to vote in the same election! What are the chances! I had seen the story on the 106 yr old lady in Rome, she was indeed still sharp as a tack. I found it very interesting that when she went to apply online to vote or at least her young 78 yr old friend did for her...the oldest age on the application only went to 103! So I guess she had to lie about her age! I'm sure it wasn't her first time! :LOL:

:) For sure I would like to live that long as long as I was in reasonably good health and had enough money to be comfortable. On the other hand if the world keeps spiraling downward meaning climate, animal extinction and so on I rather not be witness to that. Just like the song " Everybody wants to go to Heaven but nobody wants to go now";)

Well, I think that we all agree that "quality of life" would be the deciding factor-just makes sense.

That being said, I watched a program on the Genome project(s) and they ("they" being the experts in this area of research) said that the first person to reach 150 years of age has already been born!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom