-21 degrees out, help please with dogs and potty time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
My dogs have not learned to just go outside and potty...they need to walk and sniff and find the "right place" to go...but it is -21 F outside and their paws are sooo cold that they will limp and lay down instead of walk to find a place to go. We have to go to work and leave them home all day...and they poo in the morning. Any suggestions? It's supposed to be cold like this for a while. Wind chills to -50. I might have to get them bootie but I'm not sure they'll know what to do and might not even walk with them on. Plus, I'll bet the pet store is out of stock! Thanks!!

Bootiesfor their feet and sweaters for them is the only thing I know of to get them to go outside. Mom and Dad used them on their Boston Terriers, only way they could get them to go outside on the coldest days in winter.
Anything else you do might backfire, like setting up papers or a 'box' for them to go in, they might end up deciding that is better and stop going out at all and it might confuse their training and cause them undo guilt as well.

That's what I was thinking...booties...good idea for the 'box' idea, if they will even "get it"..sometimes I think my dogs are too stupid for that kind of stuff!!! THANKS!

It does not get that cold here, but if it looks like it is raining, my beagle will not go outside. If the grass is too long, and there is dew on the ground, she will not go. She doesn't like anything wet touching her WUHO. LOL. I keep pads on hand, and put one down in the bathroom. It might set you back a couple of days, but I just spent $300.00 because she had a urinary tract infection. At that point she was peeing all the time, and everywhere. Had to shampoo all the carpets.

Our Beagle is the same way, won't go out in the rain, LOL. If you have small dogs and don't mind it you can put a pad down in a litter box and train them to go indoors. After awhile you shouldn't need the pad anymore, just use old newspapers.
Our miniature fox terrier was this way when we got her, but since the Beagle wasn't it caused confusion so I had to house-break her instead.

I had 3 labs before. As soon as it would start raining they would go nuts. They did not care how cold it was. They would head for the biggest puddle and lay and roll. When I would try and hose them off, they would point their heads at the water stream and open their mouths.

Boots, if they will wear them are a great idea, Jackets, again if they will wear them are a good idea. For when they come in a towel handy to dry feet and bodies, if they are wet. Other than that, I am surprized they do not "Know" they are cold and take care fo business.

I have tow labs, they do not care if it rains, snows, ice storms or what have you. Thye have coats bred for foul weather and will not wear boots, coats, or anything. They cooperate to taks such things off eachother. However, if it is really nasty, they take care fo business cnd come in.

Due to the way labs behave, they have to be crated, when we are not homw ($2,400.00 for a vet bill when we were only gone an hour, sealed that0. On bad days, we dry them off as best as we can and it seems to work.

AC

Back
Top Bottom