44% of people polled say Grocery Shopping is now....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I enjoy grocery shopping. Not exciting. Laundry, not so much. Neither exciting or something I look forward to.

Hmm ... as to laundry being a highlight, they must be talking about going to the laundry-mat, not the laundry room in your own house.

Addressing grocery shopping, GREAT! I think more people have discovered the deliciousness of cooking for themselves, rather than going out to restaurants to eat all the time.

And travel, well, we've just put our traveling on hold until the World turned back on to it's axis. We'll still spend the same amount of money that we've always spent. We enjoy car trips to different historic and poignant locales in the USA. We've got our bucket list in hand and we're ready!

I like grocery shopping if I have time to do it. Often I need the bounce in and out of the store, which is not fun for me.

Laundry. I do not mind laundry IF I have space to sort and put the clean clothing away. Bluntly, I have more clothing than I have space. I have work clothing, and boat clothing, and casual clothing, and working in the house/garden clothing. Dress up clothing. Costume clothing. Etc, etc. I come from a family that wasted nothing, so I struggle to toss "perfectly good" items away.

I used to love grocery shopping. But with a mask it isn't the same.

I miss the smells from the different departments.

I might find laundry more interesting if my house was single story. But, I spend most of my time on the top floor. Laundry is in the basement. That's two floors down. Often, DH and I organize doing laundry in "shifts". I bring it to the basement and put it in the washing machine. He takes it out of the washing machine and puts it in the dryer. Who will get it out of the dryer and when is up for grabs. With our lack of spoons, we try to avoid trips to the basement. They are really draining. So, no, I don't find it exciting or even interesting. It's just a necessity. And grocery shopping? That's all done online. No excitement there, however, I do look forward to modifying my weekly produce and other stuff basket.

I feel your pain, taxlady! I used to have my laundry in the basement, and have to walk up and down 2 flights with all of it! After maybe 5 years, a friend helped me move it to one of the bedrooms upstairs, running the pipes and drains up through the walls, and a vent through the roof, then made the rest of the room for planting! After I screwed my knee up, years later, I can't imagine walking 2 flights with laundry.

This reminds me - I have some towels in the washer, that I have to transfer, before I go outside, and totally forget!

Laundry and shopping are not things I look forward to. I realize that some people get bored, and like to go shopping, even though they don't really need anything, just to get out, but I can go for weeks without shopping, especially in the summer. When this pandemic started, I considered myself lucky to have all that food stored up - just recently, when I got that new freezer delivered, one of the guys, when he went into my basement, made a comment something like "What, are you one of those survivalists, or something?" I just like to stock up on things I get deals on, but I don't go around looking for them. Another thing I had a large amount of was TP - still have some I bought before the pandemic! And even before the pandemic hit, I tried to go to places when there were few people in them - people that are shopping, but don't know what for (you all know what I'm talking about), annoy me, while I'm trying to get around. And I have only gone to the local Walmart once, since January 2020, and that was to get the vaccine shot!

Now I go out and get dirty (after the towels, of course!) - something I sort of look forward to, only because I know all that food that I will eating from there, eventually.

Last edited:

You are right about that!

I might find laundry more interesting if my house was single story. But, I spend most of my time on the top floor. Laundry is in the basement. That's two floors down. Often, DH and I organize doing laundry in "shifts". I bring it to the basement and put it in the washing machine. He takes it out of the washing machine and puts it in the dryer. Who will get it out of the dryer and when is up for grabs. With our lack of spoons, we try to avoid trips to the basement. They are really draining. So, no, I don't find it exciting or even interesting. It's just a necessity. And grocery shopping? That's all done online. No excitement there, however, I do look forward to modifying my weekly produce and other stuff basket.

I confess that my two flights of stairs to do laundry can get old at times! Speaking of modifying the weekly produce and other stuff basket, I'm thinking of joining a weekly delivery of seasonal (local) produce. I did it before and always found it a lot of fun!

Laundry is something that gets done so we don't smell while out in public. There are days I've told Himself we have to start going naked when at home because I'm getting tired of washing clothes. Not an option, though, since we'd scare each other (and ourselves, when we would look in a mirror). :LOL: The washer and dryer are in the basement, our bedrooms are on the second floor of a colonial style house. The real kicker is that I air dry most of our outwear, like shirts and my jeans. Do you know how heavy half a dozen+ hangers of damp, long sleeved shirts is? :ohmy: While I do have a rolling laundry rack in the kitchen to hang some stuff on, other things go to the second floor to dry on another, smaller rack. Between cooking with cast iron and carrying laundry up two flights, you should see my biceps! When carrying dry items in a laundry basket, however, I kinda use it like a walker going up the steps, setting the basket three steps above where my feet are and walking up to meet it, then moving up three more steps, etc, until I get to a floor level. Once on to the next set up steps, I continue my system until I get to the second floor. Works for me!

^This!^ I would take my time sniffing and checking out all the stuff in the produce department. Now I just make sure I shop my list and pick out fruits and veggies that are fresh enough to get me through my week of cooking. No more browsing the various shelves through the grocery department to see if there are new items. No poking through Market Basket's vast cheese selection to see if there is a variety we haven't tried yet. I miss shopping like I did in the Before Times.

Lived in Oman for 8 years and the laundry room was on the 3rd floor which included a long flight of stone steps and I had a load just about daily......I didn't need a stairmaster to bulk up my legs....

Grocery prices have skyrocketed.
We use our Kroger card also taking the discount at the fuel pump to try and ease the pain.
Wife being a vegetarian makes shopping and preparing meals no fun.

But,, I have caught her sneaking a rib or two.
And my chicken Alfredo.

And a bowl of that hot dog soup recipe on the back of the Campbells broth can.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom