A Dietary Crossroads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
I have been dieting for the past few months and doing very well getting off the extra poundage I gained from being ill. Now I fell so much better.

Okay so, here we are in Paradise called Hawaii, my hometown and I am at a crossroad.

I want to go over and have one of my most favorite breakfast in the entire world:
Loco Moco and Macaroni salad, with gravy all over!!
AND have it at the bestest place that makes it, Rainbow Drive In, as seen on the Food Network's Diners, Drive Ins and Dives, you know, Guy Fieri. This place is da bomb my braddahs and sistas

Here's my dilemma:
It will blow my entire calorie count for the day, over 1200, and I don't even want to look at the fat, etc.

Is it worth it?

When I was dieting and counting calories, I allowed myself a cheat day. I payed back the extra calories by going under my daily count for the rest of the week. As long as my daily intake, averaged over a week, was on target, I wasn't concerned about daily overs and unders.

When I was dieting and counting calories, I allowed myself a cheat day. I payed back the extra calories by going under my daily count for the rest of the week. As long as my daily intake, averaged over a week, was on target, I wasn't concerned about daily overs and unders.

+1 I sure agree with Andy, Kgirl. I know how much that breakfast means to you, and even more, visiting your home. When you go back to Arizona you won't have a chance to have your favorite meal in your favorite place. I've done a lot of dieting in my life and when I treated myself it was always with something really remarkable. :flowers: Enjoy sista!!

You always have the option of only eating half of it and taking the rest home for another day too. Hope you enjoy it!

Vacation calories don't count, BTW. I know I wouldn't be happy if I went to my favorite place and deprived myself of my favorite foods.

Just hit da beach, surf or snorkel off a few calories, and don't worry, be happy!

Last edited:
When on vacation, dietary rules do not apply unless the food will make you will. I don't eat poutine often, but there's no way I would not eat poutine a couple of times during the summer.

Life is too short to worry about a calorie or two headed towards your butt. ;)

Eat what you desire in moderation. :bash:

And remember that our brains need fat too. :rolleyes:

Okay, so I'm back.
I decided to take a walk and kill a few birds with one stone.
I walked, rather than drive (at least I feel better about what I'm about to eat, I had to work for it), to Leonard's Bakery first,
got me a half dozen Original Malasadas, which are Portuguese donuts; these are best eaten warm from the fry vat, MMM...

IMG_2371.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

Then I stopped in to Safeway to pick up a couple of things for the apartment
(we opted to rent a vacation condo off the "gold coast" of Honolulu rather than inconvenience relatives).

Next stop, RAINBOW'S!!

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

I had a wonderful brunch, I went for the mini Loco Moco (I didn't eat all of the rice), a small side Mac Salad and then shared some of my Malasadas with other patrons at Rainbow Drive In.
I love being back home.

K-Girl, it sounds like you resolved your dilemma in the best way that will let you sleep tonight. ;) Nice job.

...I love being back home.
Dorothy knew what she was talking about. :)

200_s.gif

Back
Top Bottom