A legend, Charlton Heston is gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just told my husband that CH died yesterday, he was shocked.
Mr. Heston used to come into Gemco all the time in Woodland Hills California.
He'd buy this or that, usually always with his son Fasier. They'd be in their tennis regalia, shorts and tee shirts and were ever so nice. No "I'm better than you" at all with him, very nice and handsome man. Just a regular Joe while shopping. Plus, really, no one bothered him which may be why so many chose to shop there, they didn't get hounded by star struck people.

Last edited:
Alzheimer's disease is so tragic. Many years ago worked with a county society that tried to get folks to take care of the victims and let the main care givers a short break.

Charlton Heston and Ronald Reagan had the disease and were brave enough to state the fact.

How would anyone of us like to know we were going to become mere nasty and incompetent shells of ourselves. The process must be torment to those who know what is in store for themselves.

Gosh, I have dealt with many things in my life, but not Alzheimer's.

I hope some smart guy can figure out how to prevent the disease.

I suppose he was one of a very few celebrities that we felt like we knew. Of course, we didn't, but he was so genuine and naturally nice.

RIP, Mr. Heston. He was an iconic personality and tireless crusader for the 2nd Amendment at a time when most of Hollywood was agitating against the right to keep and bear arms. It's sad that Alzheimers cast a shadow over the waning years of the life of a great man but he seems to have had a very good life, and certainly a lot of it- he was 84!

I had the pleasure of meeting him, when he came to Stockton to make a movie in the foothills here..We went out on location to watch them shott some scenes, he was sitting drawing in a large sketch book as I started to walk by..I just smiled at him and he asked me what i was doing and of course I said just watching the filming..Where was I from, who had brought me, by this time several of the people who worked with my Aunt and city manager walked up, so he invited us to sit on the porch and offered us a cold drink and showed us the gates he was sketching for his new home....He was so nice and apologized when called to the set...I'd met several other of that cast and was shocked at how rude several were to the younger girls there..He was kind and thoughtful..Since my mother had the begginings of alzheimers I was sorry to here that he had it..It's a nasty thing, stealing your very breath and mind from you..Hopefully one day it will be controlled. Now, may he be restored and have peace.

kadesma

I was just watching the news and saw some older footage of him.. WOW what a good-looking guy he was! Kades how did you keep your knees from buckling long enough to talk to him!
I can't imagine a worse way to go, or have to say goodbye to someone with Alzheimers.

I was just watching the news and saw some older footage of him.. WOW what a good-looking guy he was! Kades how did you keep your knees from buckling long enough to talk to him!
I can't imagine a worse way to go, or have to say goodbye to someone with Alzheimers.

You younguns! He was a hunk! I was always in love with him and his strong, beautiful voice. Today he would rank along Russel Crowe for playing strong epic roles (he in Ben-Hur among others and R. Crowe in "Gladiator:):)

RIP, Mr. Heston. He was an iconic personality and tireless crusader for the 2nd Amendment at a time when most of Hollywood was agitating against the right to keep and bear arms. It's sad that Alzheimers cast a shadow over the waning years of the life of a great man but he seems to have had a very good life, and certainly a lot of it- he was 84!

Not only Second Amendment rights, but civil rights in general. That's not to say, of course, that his "cold, dead hands" have left some awfully big shoes to fill, but when one considers that he had picketed segregated movie theaters where his films were playing and marched with Dr. Martin Luther King before it was popular, his impact on popular politics should not be defined by a single issue.

As much as I bemoan entertainers getting involved in politics, Heston did it with class and dignity unmatched by his modern peers. Perhaps it was because he stood for so many of the things that his modern peers shriek against.

You younguns! He was a hunk! I was always in love with him and his strong, beautiful voice. Today he would rank along Russel Crowe for playing strong epic roles (he in Ben-Hur among others and R. Crowe in "Gladiator:):)

Only difference being Mr. Crowe ain't quite so gracious a human.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom