A lot of millennials don't even own can openers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do not like the ring-pull cans. Seems I either get a can only half opened and need to call Himself to pull it the rest of the way, or I cut myself. If those are the only cans in supermarkets, I will never be able to buy canned goods again. :ermm:

We got an avocado green combo can opener/ice crusher for a shower gift in 1974. It was this model:

s-l500.jpg

We kept it until we got a refrigerator with a water/ice dispenser. You could switch the ice from cube to crushed. Replaced the can opener part with a hand held Swing-a-Way. We're now on our second Swing-a-Way opener. Three openers in 44 years isn't so bad.

Food is the prize, a can opener isn’t inconvenient it’s what you gladly do to get into the yummy stuff. It’s like when people apologize for giving me a check, cause now I have to go to the bank and deposit it in my account. Oh no lol if those were my only 2 problems I’d have the easiest life going!

On the other hand my mom has arthritis in her wrists which makes opening cans an issue until we got her a handheld battery operated automatic opener. But she earned it cooking for many mouths over the years and didn’t even complain about her troubles with the manual ones. In this regard I’m glad auto openers were made.
PS mine is still a manual one

Don't even have to go to the bank to deposit a cheque anymore. Just use the banking app, scan it, and type in the info.

I'm an avid electric can opener person. I can't stand manual can openers. My husband, on the other hand, was the complete opposite. He refused to use the electric one and kept his own personal manual can opener handy. He always used this kind...

s-l225.jpg

Yes, it sure is! Makes for interesting reading. I remember years ago having an electric can opener, and 3 cats. OMGosh, when that can opener started they all came running. :LOL:

I do not like the ring-pull cans. Seems I either get a can only half opened and need to call Himself to pull it the rest of the way, or I cut myself. If those are the only cans in supermarkets, I will never be able to buy canned goods again. :ermm:...

I don't either....the force used to pull the lids off scare me, I'm afraid I'm going to slip and cut myself.
Since I have to pull really hard, I'm afraid that the lid will suddenly pop off and I will spill the contents of the can. The risk of cutting myself, which I have done with that kind of can, also doesn't appeal to me.

Last edited:
No doubt the manual can opener will be around for some time. It's cheaper for companies to make cans needing can openers. My inexpensive counter top can opener was loud, like...way too loud...industrial machine workshop loud.

Last edited:
Yes, it sure is! Makes for interesting reading. I remember years ago having an electric can opener, and 3 cats. OMGosh, when that can opener started they all came running. :LOL:

Mine do that every time. Especially when it's a can of tuna or salmon. They can smell that stuff a mile away.

No doubt the manual can opener will be around for some time. It's cheaper for companies to make cans needing can openers. My inexpensive counter top can opener was loud, like...way too loud...industrial machine workshop loud.

That and if you don't have at least one manual and your power goes out for a couple of days due to bad weather or some other reason, you're kind of up a creek if you want to open a can that doesn't have a pull tab. So despite my dislike for the manual openers, I'm glad I have a manual handy, just in case.

I've worked in restaurant kitchens and worked a lot of years in the dietary departments of nursing homes and I remember opening those big huge industrial-sized cans of fruits and vegetables using an opener that was attached to the edge of the metal work tables and you raise the lever, slide the can under, then quickly push down with the lever to punch a hole in the can. Then you twisted the lever around and around and around until the can was open. We had one that was really tough to use and it was like getting a small workout opening cans on that thing.

Since I have to pull really hard, I'm afraid that the lid will suddenly pop off and I will spill the contents of the can. The risk of cutting myself, which I have done with that kind of can, also doesn't appeal to me.

I use a technique that reduces risk of injury. I place the can on a flat surface and just pull up on the ring to pop it normally. Then with that open point turned away from me, I slip my index finger through the ring from the far side, put my thumb in the center of the lid and lever it up toward me until the lid is more than half open. From that point it peels off the rest of the way pretty easily. That keeps the pressure I have to apply under control during the first half of the process, and makes slipping unlikely.

I usually open 6 cans of tuna at a time to make tuna whatever. I wish all tuna cans came with pull tops.

My 3 cats are also familiar with the sound of pull tops...

Last edited:
I usually open 6 cans of tuna at a time to make tuna whatever. I wish all tuna cans came with pull tops.

My 3 cats are also familiar with the sound of pull tops...

My cats are too because their Fancy Feast cans (they get one canned treat per day, that I split between the 2 of them and the rest of the day it's kibble) have pull tops, so when they hear me open one, they come running. However, that's the only time they come running when I open a pull-top, so it's like they can tell the difference between human food and cat food :LOL:

Our family dog from when I was growing up was smarter than all cats, including the two that owned us. My Mom had a pantry in the basement where she kept canned goods, dried foods like pasta and beans, paper products...you get the idea. You could go down to get anything from that pantry and the dog wouldn't even notice. BUT, pick up a can (or more) of tuna, turn around, and she was right there! :LOL: Tail a-waggin' until her full backside was swinging, she's follow up the steps at close range. We have no idea what kind of radar she had, but she did love her some tuna.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom