A Month On Oahu, Hawaii With K~Girl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Well, I suppose the cat is out of the bag and you folks have figured it all out.

DH and I are spending the Month of May on Oahu in the 50th State of Hawaii, where we are (Well I am) from.

I don't like to share where we are publicly over the Internet airwaves, but, well, what the heck.

DSC00056.jpg

We've been so so so busy with everything, friends, family and generally having such a great time, that I haven't been really up on any of my postings.

I'll try to keep you all abreast of our comings and goings, so stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J35C09Q_gA&t=7s

I've had a lot of folks ask me about the eruption at Kilauea ...

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/content/must-see-videos-kilaueas-volcanic-eruption-big-island-hawaii

This is all going down on Hawaii Island and DH and I are on Oahu, that's about a 200 mile distance ...

50th state.jpg

... in the graphic above, just as a point of reference, Oahu is the third Island from the left and Hawaii Island aka The Big Island is the first isle from the right---the Big island is most descriptive --- HA! :LOL:

Anyways, we're just fine here on Oahu, we feel only very small EarthQuakes and no lava flows here. Madame Pele has been active since 1985, so we're all pretty use to it all.

How lovely and how exciting for you Kgirl! All the old familiar haunts and people!

Aloha Kakahiaka, Good Morning All!

Thank you all for your well wishes

It has been raining off and on since last night

IMG_3665.jpg

... but that's okay!
That's the drinking water here in Hawaii, so no one gets upset.
As DH and I were having breakfast out on our lanai we both commented on how nice the rain is here. The word "Nice" came to mind, it's a nice, soft, rain... not a violent, coming down in buckets, drench you to the bone kind of rain.

So we've decided that this will be a non-beach day and we're headed over to the Windward Side, where I'm from, Kaneohe! YAY!

There's only two Airlines that fly non-stop from Arizona to Honolulu:
Hawaiian Airlines
and
American Airlines

We flew out of Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport directly to Honolulu International Airport on Hawaiian (it wound up being $100 cheaper than American).

The nice thing about flying on Hawaiian is
1) The flight crews are all Hawaii based (some even speak olelo-Hawaiian)
2) They serve a free "meal" (if you want to call it that :rolleyes: )

DSC00044.jpg

The flight out of PHX is an early-ish one, so breakfast is served onboard.
This go `round it was a yogurt with a small packet of granola to sprinkle in, sweet roll and a handful of Grapes.
I always have a tea bag or three in my purse, so I was set.

LOVE the pics kgirl, and thanks for sharing info about your trip! Have a wonderful remainder of your vacay back home! :wub:

I'm not from Hawaii, but I do know how precious is time spent where your heart resides K-Girl. :heart: I hope you have a terrific month back home - enough to make you smile deeply the other 11 months. Enjoy!

K-Girl, when I lived there, it was at the apartments across the street from the Punahou School. I took the bus one day while Poo was in school for the ride around the whole island. I decided to get off at the Hawaiian Culture Center up on the North Shore. While I was there, one of the employees approached me. Being as short as I was, they offered me a job as one of the "elves." I gave them my phone number and told them I would like to think about it. Poo was going to be spending the summer with his father and his wife. In the end I decided to take the job. I had a blast at that job. I hated to quit with September looming up on me. But I wanted to be home every day when Poo came home from school. At the time I still had a full head of bright red hair. I would tell folks I had dyed it. After all, everyone who worked there was a native Hawaiian. Except me. The sad part of the story is that I have forgotten all the Hawaiian words I learned while working there. I told so many lies to the public while working there about being Hawaiian. ;)

K-Girl, when I lived there, it was at the apartments across the street from the Punahou School. I took the bus one day while Poo was in school for the ride around the whole island. I decided to get off at the Hawaiian Culture Center up on the North Shore. While I was there, one of the employees approached me. Being as short as I was, they offered me a job as one of the "elves." I gave them my phone number and told them I would like to think about it. Poo was going to be spending the summer with his father and his wife. In the end I decided to take the job. I had a blast at that job. I hated to quit with September looming up on me. But I wanted to be home every day when Poo came home from school. At the time I still had a full head of bright red hair. I would tell folks I had dyed it. After all, everyone who worked there was a native Hawaiian. Except me. The sad part of the story is that I have forgotten all the Hawaiian words I learned while working there. I told so many lies to the public while working there about being Hawaiian. ;)

Addie, I think you meant PCC, the Polynesian Cultural Center and I don't recall there being any "elves" there.
Also, most of the folks who work there are students at BYU-Hawaii from all over the Globe. They are LDS young adults who depict Pacific Rim Cultures no matter where they are from, in small "Villages", demonstrating that culture through dance, music, crafts and skills .
As far as for Olelo Hawaii, that was not something that you heard very often outside of local homes. Today is a whole different ball game with the Hawaiian language, but that's for another thread. :mrgreen:

Here's what we saw last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUxnF6jHKQ

Many of the local entertainers are now performing in different venues around town, restaurants, bars... Most of them have no cover charge, they just ask that you either dine with them our purchase drinks. I had a lovely locally brewed Beer and DH and his dear dear friend had Plantation Iced Teas.

I went out without DH to my all time favorite grocery store,
Foodland
to get a few essentials as well as some fish

… note: I've made an executive decision that we would not buy any red meat, it's so expensive here in Hawaii and we can eat that back in Arizona, but not FISH!!! Eat More Fish!!!

… on the way up the street I stopped into Leonard's Bakery

DSC00067.jpg

DSC00068.jpg
Portuguese Malasadas, they're a donut

DSC00069.jpg
… that you wait in line for as they come out of the fryer

DSC00070.jpg
… fresh and hot and covered in sugar,
OH MY GAWD!!!
We hadn't had any breakfast prior to me going out to the market, so this was a wonderful treat with a fresh, cold glass of local milk

DSC00082.jpg
… and then I was so excited that they offered
a reusable grocery bag... I collect them everywhere we go!

We went to our favorite sushi joint, a chain from Japan...
Genki Sushi
they've changed it, dang it!

DSC00045.jpg
Now, you place your order via a device similar (if not the same) as an iPad

DSC00046.jpg
and your dish(es) come to you via a "Bullet Train"

DSC00049.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

… this is probably the least plates that we've ever eaten, HA! :LOL: