A Month On Oahu, Hawaii With K~Girl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Addie, I think you meant PCC, the Polynesian Cultural Center and I don't recall there being any "elves" there.
Also, most of the folks who work there are students at BYU-Hawaii from all over the Globe. They are LDS young adults who depict Pacific Rim Cultures no matter where they are from, in small "Villages", demonstrating that culture through dance, music, crafts and skills .
As far as for Olelo Hawaii, that was not something that you heard very often outside of local homes. Today is a whole different ball game with the Hawaiian language, but that's for another thread. :mrgreen:

Thank you for the correction. I couldn't think of the full name. I wore a little green costume and one of my jobs was to greet the visitors. I did try to learn how to make the leis. To no avail.

My ex went back into court to seek permanent custody of my son. According to him I was working full time and wouldn't have time to take care of him. Poo was also picking up the language rather fast. As kids are wont to do. "He should only be speaking pure American", according to his father.

Wrong thing to tell a Native Hawaiian judge.

Before I left the job, I took Poo there and he spent the whole day wandering around and learned so much. Best decision and action on my part. He has kept his fond memories of the island.

eruption on the big island.jpg
[not my picture]

The most recent eruption on the Big Island aka Hawaii Island,
has made it to the Ocean!
The Vog is so bad that our dining table on the lanai has been covered in volcanic ash and grit :ohmy:

View attachment 30046
[not my picture]

The most recent eruption on the Big Island aka Hawaii Island,
has made it to the Ocean!
The Vog is so bad that our dining table on the lanai has been covered in volcanic ash and grit :ohmy:

I have been following the eruption. Are you in any danger from the Vog? I would hate to be the one breathing that in. My biggest concern is for the residents of the Big Island. They can't reclaim their land or property.

I was living in Washington State when Mt. St. Helen erupted. For months we were cleaning and sweeping up the ash that traveled on the wind. It is nasty stuff. Stay safe.

Dinner last night

View attachment 30052

Four different types of Poke
(from the bottom of the plate going clock wise)
Salmon, Ahi, Tako (octopus) and Imitation Krab
with a big mound of Rice in
the middle, topped with Aloha Shoyu and Furikake
ONO!!

That looks soooo good~
What I love about your posts are the great pictures and we are learning a new language at the same time. Thanks.

I don't think I showed you folks this video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iPUtpvQnqc

This was such a fun night with these ladies from Kobe Japan in the audience ...
I adore Mailani, we make a point to search her out on each of our visits back home.

I used to take Poo to the Ala Moana Shopping Center on Sundays to see the Hawaiian dancers. Watching that piece, I realized that I still remember the message (or most of it) that the dancers are telling the audience with their hands. Thanks for the memory.

Thank you all for your well wishes

It has been raining off and on since last night

View attachment 30013

... but that's okay!
That's the drinking water here in Hawaii, so no one gets upset.
As DH and I were having breakfast out on our lanai we both commented on how nice the rain is here. The word "Nice" came to mind, it's a nice, soft, rain... not a violent, coming down in buckets, drench you to the bone kind of rain.

So we've decided that this will be a non-beach day and we're headed over to the Windward Side, where I'm from, Kaneohe! YAY!
I can’t believe I never made the connection! You’re my friend from Kitchen in the Middle of the Desert on Wordpress! Why didn’t I put two and two together til now, I wonder...

Anyway, hi! Looks like you had a really wonderful trip!

Lunch out today with an old friend at Nico's Kailua

Nico's Kailua Lunch.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg
our old friend's plate lunch of Beef Stew,
Rice (it's under the Stew), Mac Salad and Chow Mein

IMG_0008.jpg
This is my plate lunch, Pesto Kahuku Shrimp,
withRrice and `Nalo Greens, topped with Miso Ginger
Housemade dressing

IMG_0009.jpg

DH's lunch of Chicken Katsu with
Rice and Naked`Nalo Greens
(he doesn't care for salad dressing so much),
oh and there's some Chow Mein underneath of his Katsu

I didn't get photos, but for pupu's (appetizers) we had
Ahi Limu and Furikake Salmon Poke
and a lovely draught local IPA Beer.
What a wonderful lunch!

I gotta tell you folks about the locally grown produce here in Hawaii
OH MY GOSH!
So good, so sweet, so tender and flavorful.
DH even made a comment that he wasn't too sure why, but all of the fruits and vegetables that we've eaten while we've been home this time is so much better than anything on the mainland.
Maybe it's the water or the volcanic soil or care given, I don't know but I'm sure happy.

I gotta tell you folks about the locally grown produce here in Hawaii
OH MY GOSH!
So good, so sweet, so tender and flavorful.
DH even made a comment that he wasn't too sure why, but all of the fruits and vegetables that we've eaten while we've been home this time is so much better than anything on the mainland.
Maybe it's the water or the volcanic soil or care given, I don't know but I'm sure happy.

I'm so glad you're having such a great time in Hawaii [emoji2] The food and views are incredible.

I'm pretty sure I didn't show you folks this one …

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLccAiLIwvk

… just another beautiful day in paradise!!

This is our view, every day, well at least for this month anyways :LOL:

edit: I wanted to say that we use to live there at the foot of Diamond Head,
that group of buildings way off in the distance of the shot there.. It's that last, shorter building.
We had only a studio apartment on the fourth floor, facing out to the busy street of Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki, just at the edge of the "Gold Coast", where many celebrities have homes. It was just gorgeous, right on the beach as our back door and Kapiolani Park as our front yard, but we only had one parking stall, so usually I parked on the street--- good luck with that!!! HA!!

Last edited:
You're really making me miss Hawaii like crazy Kgirl, and I'm so glad you're enjoying "home" so much, as well you should. What a great treat this thread is for all of us! Mahalo!!!

When I was watching the dancing ladies I was hoping to see you dance with them.
Have you danced? How I'd love to see you do that, and have DH film you!

Since long flights are no longer in my future, this time we will get there and back home the old fashioned way, by boat. I can hardly wait for our anniversary Princess Cruise in November.

Last edited:
How exciting KL!!!! I wish I could come with you guys, we've never done that cruise we've only flown, I look forward to your travel posts.

I neglected the first part of our trip to Oahu...

Day One- 6.5 hr. flight from PHX to HNL --- first stop?
ZIPPY'S !!!!

DSC00059.jpg
(sorry that it comes out side ways)
My plate is in the foreground, Chili with Rice and Fried Chicken and of course I must have their Mac Salad! DH had the Chicken plate with French Fries... very happy :yum:

There's a location just up the street from the apartment, so we went there to have lunch; next to Foodland for provisions and then we met the rental agent at the apartment lobby to the keys from her.

Dear KGirl, As you may know, I am involved with a railroad society here, and am rebuilding a switch engine. I just got an e-mail from Oahu, about the Hawaiian Railroad society. They run trips every Saturday and Sunday. We will be there on a Sunday, and we have been invited to tour the facility.
They also have a switch engine similar to ours.

Attachments

• IMG_5896.jpg
    IMG_5896.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Kgirl....I'm so enjoying your scenery and foodie pics. :yum: Looks like you and the Mister are having a wonderful time!

Dear KGirl, As you may know, I am involved with a railroad society here, and am rebuilding a switch engine. I just got an e-mail from Oahu, about the Hawaiian Railroad society. They run trips every Saturday and Sunday. We will be there on a Sunday, and we have been invited to tour the facility.

SC, isn't that funny!
This past Saturday, DH and I went out with our old friend and were in that same area (our friend lives in Ewa). We passed by the "Train Depot" and DH made mention of it that we should look it up.
I hope you folks are going on the "Ice Cream Train".
Trains were very important to the plantations here in Hawaii, on all of the Islands.
My Great Grandfather was the engineer in Hamakua on the Big Island...
I'm so excited for you and KL that you'll be coming back to Hawaii!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP4RHDjt0XM&t=2s

One Saturday, it was not such a nice day and we were in the apartment for the morning. DH was on his tablet doing some sort of something or another and I was sitting on the lanai, when I heard Tahitian music.
I leaned over only to discover there was some goings-on next door, hmmm.
I grab the keys and said, I'll be right back".

(and yes Kayelle, I do know how to dance Hula and Tahitian, it's just been a while)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maEERBFP3c0&t=180s

[fast forward the above video to about the 2 to 3 minute mark, although the first 2-3 minutes are a very fine example of drum work]

Hey SC, I am in Huron, SD right now, and there is an actual working Roundhouse here. I got a brief look at it today -- sorry, no pictures. I saw it after a 12-hour work day taking pictures, so I didn't even think about it. I'm sure there are plenty of pictures of it online.

I'm not into trains, but it was pretty cool.

CD

Back
Top Bottom