A Month On Oahu, Hawaii With K~Girl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dear KGirl,
Here is a picture of the canoe we bought on Kauai at Kilohana Ranch as it looked like us after our canoe trip LOL
Your story about packing reminded us of the chicken we brought back from South America. Fortunately we did have bubble wrap.

Attachments

• IMG_7800.jpg
    IMG_7800.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Dear KGirl, I could not find this photo fast enough to include it in my post. This picture was taken at the Museum in Auckland. Your little canoe is a perfect replica!

Attachments

• IMG_5285.jpg
    IMG_5285.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 93
Your story about packing reminded us of the chicken we brought back from South America. Fortunately we did have bubble wrap.

And the chicken was OK afterwards? I'd figure a chicken could make easy work of bubble wrap. Just a-peckin' here and there..

Maybe my wife is right. Maybe we CAN bubble wrap our son and send him out into the world, and he'll be ok.

Nevermind.

Beautiful canoe, K-Girl. (Yours are neat, too, Souschef.) It should provide DH with many hours of happy mental sailing.

Many mahalos CG, yes, DH will sit on the sofa in the living room and simply stare at it and make comments:"look at that will ya, that's somethin "

Certainly the Polynesian people are all interconnected. We are so fortunate to have traveled much of the South Pacific, and it holds so many wonderful memories for us. :wub::flowers:

K, ya know I look at photos of my Grandfather and then at other folks, even Inuit peoples and wow, that's what we look like too...

And the chicken was OK afterwards? I'd figure a chicken could make easy work of bubble wrap. Just a-peckin' here and there..

Maybe my wife is right. Maybe we CAN bubble wrap our son and send him out into the world, and he'll be ok.

Nevermind.

BT, I'd like photos please of your boy wrapped up !!! :LOL:

I was dreaming of Hawaiian Food long before we went to Honolulu!
We went over to Young's Fish Market in Kalihi, our favorite for Hawaiian

DSC00109.jpg
we shared all of this and had plenty leftover for dinner

DSC00110.jpg
Pipikaula, think Beef Jerky only WAY better!

DSC00111.jpg
Opihi, limpets, raw

DSC00112.jpg
My fave, Squid Luau, DH can't eat this-Squid and Taro leaves cooked in coconut milk, MMM! ONO! He said he likes it, but he knows two bites will do him in, allergic

DSC00113.jpg
I always request day old Poi and Hawaiian Rock Salt, it has real flavor as apposed to fresh Poi, kinda bland--- which is why folks feel that it tastes like library paste--- try old Poi and Salt!

DSC00114.jpg
Pork Lau Lau-these puppies have got to weigh in at 3 pounds, easy.
They make theirs with a fantastic ratio of meat to Taro leaves, then steam them to perfection--- I was going to bring some home, but DH vetoed that idea

DSC00116.jpg
Opihi, but I just can't eat Escargot

DSC00118.jpg
Young's tag line "Wow Lau Lau" `cuz theirs really is the best!

Ya know, some dishes I've learned how to make, such as Kalua Pork and Lomi Lomi Salmon (I have a recipe for Pipikaula, haven't tried it), but this other stuff, no can do braddahs and sistahs--- gotta go Young's!

View attachment 30183
Opihi, but I just can't eat Escargot

I was looking this post over and ya know, I started to think about my younger sister who moved away from Hawaii LONG before I did... she loves opihi, but would take her thumb nail and squeeze out the stomach of the opihi and eat the mussel only... just a thought that came to me ...

DSC00130 (1).jpg

DSC00131 (1).jpg

DSC00132 (1).jpg

Many of our evenings were spent having dinner on our lanai,
mostly fish of some sort and maybe some tidbits leftover
from lunch out...

Above is DH's plate (the second photo) of
Mussel Poke, Ahi Hawaiian Style Poke (with inamona-kukui nut),
Kalua Pig, Lomi Lomi Salmon, and Japanese Cucumber quick Kim Chee

My plate is only different as I don't have Mussel or Ahi,
but Garlic Shrimp Poke

How exciting KL!!!! I wish I could come with you guys, we've never done that cruise we've only flown, I look forward to your travel posts.

I neglected the first part of our trip to Oahu...

Day One- 6.5 hr. flight from PHX to HNL --- first stop?
ZIPPY'S !!!!

View attachment 30074
(sorry that it comes out side ways)
My plate is in the foreground, Chili with Rice and Fried Chicken and of course I must have their Mac Salad! DH had the Chicken plate with French Fries... very happy :yum:

There's a location just up the street from the apartment, so we went there to have lunch; next to Foodland for provisions and then we met the rental agent at the apartment lobby to the keys from her.

I wanted to share this article with you all ...

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/hawaii-zippys-spam

Side Street Inn on the strip (Kapahulu avenue)
… broke da mouth ono kine food!!
We went here with our old friend, he introduced us to this great place. You order and eat family style, which you find a lot of places here in Hawaii, we ate...

DSC00154.jpg

DSC00155.jpg
Katsu

DSC00156.jpg
Pulehu Short Ribs

DSC00157.jpg
Teriyaki Beef

DSC00158.jpg
Lup Chong (Chinese Sausage) Fried Rice

DSC00159.jpg
Pan Fried Pork Chop

DSC00160.jpg
… and we all shared an order of Peanut Butter Crunch for dessert

*burp*

We had enough leftover so that each household took home a Styrofoam box FULL of food!! :yum:

Back
Top Bottom