A Pet's request

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wife has a tender heart, and as for me, I just hate to see little things suffer. I try not to think about my mutts.

But as I tell my wife, the ulternative to their demise is that we would have never known them, at all. All of the funny, touching and sad moments of their lives would have been enjoyed and endured by "other owners" in other homes. Perhaps they would have had to sleep in a garage, or be ignored for most of the day.

I pretty much talk to my dogs all of the time as I move through the house. I've seen how excited they become when they hear my wife's SUV, and she says they do the same when they hear my bike.

There is an end to all things. I've always hoped my transition would be with my back to the wall. I admire the final moments of Jim Bowie. No quarter, and none asked for.

But for my little dogs...

Edit: I just gave them a treat, for no reason.

ok this really tore at my heart strings, as we are getting close to the decision to put my 14 year old dog down. He is starting to lose his bladder control. He's not too bad. If we remember to make him go out just before we leave he's ok, because he doesn't eat or drink when we are gone, but if we forget. I come home to pee from one end of the kitchen to the door. He is also deaf and doesn't see to well anymore. hubby says he is suffering, I say he isn't because he is not in pain and he gets around good. Vet couldn't believe he was 14 and still walking around like he was. I don't want to put him down, but I dont' want him to suffer either. What does everyone hear consider suffering?

mikki, you will know when the time is right. When the Vet diagnosed the oral tumor in our schnauzer Angel, she said that we had a few weeks, maybe a month, but that we would know when it was time. As long as Angel was able to perform her "daily doggie activities" then we should just pamper her and spoil her, more than normal. :rolleyes:

The one night she had trouble eating and holding her biscuit we found the 2nd tumor. That night we deciced it was time. No pain, and she was active and happy till the end.

So trust your heat and you will do fine.

Yea... we all are boo-hooing today!!! LOL.. I have to say number 1 and 10 are the ones that hit me hardest!
1 and 10 are the hardest for me right now too. We are on vacation and weren't able to bring Cubbie or the cats. The cats are being boarded, but they didn't have room for Cubbie. He is at home, staked outside. The high school boy next door is feeding and watering him, and checking on him. The weather has been horrible, and Cubbie won't go into his dog house. I miss him and I know he thinks we abandoned him. I miss all of them so much.

A few months ago, as many of you know, I had to have our cat Mr. Frodo euthanized. As much pain as he had to be in (torn up by a dog), he was so brave. I was given the option of staying or leaving. Even though it was over very quickly, I couldn't leave him to go through that without someone who loved him gently petting him and saying goodbye. When it was over, I sat in the car and bawled my eyes out, then I did the same thing when I got home (more than once).

:(Barbara

Number 10 is the heart string tugger. I have always made it a point to be there on that final day with my pets. My last experience though was having my horse euthanized and not being able to be there. I was over an hour away and the vet said he was in a lot of pain, so I thought it would be selfish to make him suffer and wait for me. I still got to say my good by after though, before we burried him on the property. He was such a huge part of my childhood. We had 26 wonderful years together.

Okay I was good up until #10. That hit me hard because when I had to have Max and Disney put to sleep I didn't go. I couldn't do it.

Don't worry Middie, a lot of people can't do it. Don't beat yourself up over it. Your still a good person for giving them a loving home and life!!

That's great - even brought a tear to the eye of this big ol' oaf.

Probably because it was just a little over a year ago we had to put down one of our cats because she got full blown FIP (100%fatal). We were there for her the whole time. *sniff*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom