A PSA ~~ American Heart Association

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
:heart:This is a how to video from the American Heart Association:

Hands-Only CPR

The AHA has now decided to change the guidelines for CPR for non-medical people, hoping that more by-standers will be willing to perform CPR if they do not have to do Rescue Breathing. Survival rates of cardiac arrests have doubled in districts using Hands Only CPR. :heart:

Thank You:wub:

I actually heard about this change a month or two ago. I think it is great. I have been certified in CPR many times and one of my instructors once said something that really stuck with me when one of my classmates was worrying too much about getting every step perfect. He said, whatever you do you are not going to make the situation any worse. You can only help. So doing something, even if it is not exactly correct, is better than doing nothing at all.

Thanks for posting that.

One of the things that really stuck with me from my CPR classes was that you should never say, "Someone call 911." You are supposed to make eye contact with one person, point at them, and say, "You, call 911." When you make it too general, everyone thinks someone else will do it.

:)Barbara

Yes GB, this has been in the works for a couple of months. I've been following it quite closely. I've done CPR twice, one lived and the other died, but she was alive when EMS took her. Even the most trained person (18 years of CPR training here) can hesitate, it's not easy changing into emergency gear when faced with it. If it was my regular job, I think it would be second nature. But, in 18 years I've only done it or needed it twice.

Exactly, Barbara, always pick one person to direct. You can also pick one person to teach, while you are giving compressions, so you can switch out if need be.

I don't mean to be preachy or pedantic, but it's important that everyone knows about CPR or Hands Only, the person you need to save, in the future, might be sitting with you right now.

My m-i-l use to slip into not breathing at times I was forced to try to give cpr and if my father had not been ther to shove me aside give her on good thump and then start pressing she would have died. He knew wxatly waht to do after watching emt work on my mom. watch and learn.
kades

Last edited:
That is so great that you were able to save someone PF!!! I was trained many many times and had positions where CRP and first aid were required skills. Thankfully I have never had to use CRP. My first aid training has come in handy quite often.

In high school we were required to take a CRP class as part of gym. I wish more schools did that. There is no reason it should not be taught to everyone.

Another vote for universal training in first aid and CPR. You never know when something is going to happen, and having some training gives you confidence to step in and help.

And, while you are at it, put together an emergency kit for your home and your car. Visit the Red Cross site for a list of items: Prepare Your Home and Family

Complete agreement on universal training, it should start in grade school and fully develop to full on first aid training in High school. I bet there are quite a few out there who have been saved by a grade schooler knowing how to call 911.

I read stories like that all the time. I know my daughter learned about 911 and how to use it last year when she was 4. I hope she never had to put it into practice.

I found it interesting that they point out that when teaching kids 911 it is important to say nine one one and not nine eleven because a child might look for the eleven button.

Training kids is a great idea. I enjoyed first aid training in the Girl Sprouts and learning mouth to mouth resuscitation in life guarding class.

Often a child will be less panicked in an emergency and therefore more able to react well.

I read stories like that all the time. I know my daughter learned about 911 and how to use it last year when she was 4. I hope she never had to put it into practice.

I found it interesting that they point out that when teaching kids 911 it is important to say nine one one and not nine eleven because a child might look for the eleven button.
When our grandson Thomas (now almost 16 months) was 12 or 13 months old he got ahold of Nancy's phone while she was in the middle of cleaning, toddler-proofing, and rearranging the living room furniture. It was a horrible mess. All of the sudden, the police showed up at the door. Thomas had managed to dial 911! She did not want to let them in with it being such a mess, but of course she did. She was so embarrassed!

I agree that it is important to teach kids how to call for help. I hear stories on the news all the time about kids who called 911 when a parent went into diabetic stress, and similar things. One thing many parents don't think is important these days is to teach their kids their address and phone number. I had 4th grade students who didn't know their address, and some didn't even know their parents' first names!

:huh:Barbara

My Dad had "dog tags" made for us with our address on them, we wore them under our clothes everywhere we went until I was 9. As for my parent's names...we knew them, but I don't think I ever had the chance to use either one until I was 14 or 15. I was a notorious smart aleck, everyone knew who my parent's were. All I had to do was talk and they would say, "You must be Gene's daughter.":LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom