"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
A "score" at Salvation Army yesterday

I don't usually stop at the Salvation Army thrift store because it's in a pretty out of the way area of the "big city" I visit about every two weeks.

As it happened, I had to pick up a pair of repaired glasses for Glenn and the thrift store was only a few blocks away. I hadn't been there in several years and was surprised that it was a bit nicer than it had been. Another reason I seldom stopped. It was usually kind of trashy and unkempt.

I browsed and ended up with three items, less than $10 including tax.

The item I was most excited about was a pristine Luray Pastels 14" chop plate/platter. No nicks, scratches, crazing. Nuthin'. Less than $2.

Second item was a beautiful ceramic canister, about the size to keep tea, and in the same pattern as a mug I had in the car as a gift for my best friend's birthday. She loves tea and I was going to drop her gift off before I left town. Lucky for her, she also would get a canister for her tea to match the mug. This little beauty was under $3

Then, as I was finishing my "grazing," I spotted a Soda Stream carbonation machine on an upper shelf. We have a different model and love it. Picked it up and it was mine for $4.99. I'd wanted one to use in my studio when I'm working out there but couldn't justify the price of a new one. Five bucks was justifiable! Plus, it had a CO2 cylinder in it. Empty but, lucky me again, I had two in the car I was going to exchange at Bed Bath & Beyond later in the day.

When I went to BBB, I exchanged all 3 cylinders and, using my trusty $$$$ of coupons, and only paid $30. These should last us a couple of months in spite of using our Soda Stream daily.

I had a shopping good day!!

Old 08-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Excellent buys Katie.

I searched and searched for a replacement 33 quart canner when mine had a hole in it and was not repairable. Found one for less than 1/2 the price at $15 (facebook buy/sell/trade group), that is a score and she'd only used it once, it is in perfect condition.

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Excellent buys Katie.

I searched and searched for a replacement 33 quart canner when mine had a hole in it and was not repairable. Found one for less than 1/2 the price at $15 (facebook buy/sell/trade group), that is a score and she'd only used it once, it is in perfect condition.

You made out very very well.

And, yes, the Facebook Marketplace is a good place to buy/sell. Just this last week or two, we sold our Harley motorcycle, a small tractor and a finishing mower. The tractor and mower sold the afternoon of the day we listed them.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh noooo...you sold your Harley Katie??

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Oh noooo...you sold your Harley Katie??

Sad to say, "Yes, we did."

It weighed over 800 pounds (without people or gear) and after Glenn having a knee replaced and a hip revision, it wasn't safe to wrangle something that hefty. Might have to get a trike.

Happy to say "Old Blue" went to a good home