A Wise Person Once Said (but I didn't listen)...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
A wise person once said...

If you want to avoid overheating your house (or burning it down), do not leave a pan on the stove with the burner on, for many, many hours through the night and day.

It is a wonder I didn't burn the house down during the night. Yep, after I served our supper last night, I put the pan back on the [electric] burner and didn't notice it until this afternoon. I had even left a plastic spoon in it. It melted the back of the spoon just a bit (I am surprised it didn't do worse). Fortunately, the burner was on low-med and not high. I'm not lying--I immediately looked up the early signs of Alzheimer's.

Eeks! So glad it turned out OK!

Last edited:
Good heavens Barbara, what were you thinking?
I'll have to come there and beat on ya.
kades

Oh my lord, you are all making me nervous. :huh: 3 days, an entire weekend... Ok so I have burnt my stove covers to a crisp at least 5 times...

(For the record I hate stove covers but my stove is ugly and old so they are solid black covers :LOL:)

Barbara L said:
A wise person once said...

If you want to avoid overheating your house (or burning it down), do not leave a pan on the stove with the burner on, for many, many hours through the night and day.

It is a wonder I didn't burn the house down during the night. Yep, after I served our supper last night, I put the pan back on the [electric] burner and didn't notice it until this afternoon. I had even left a plastic spoon in it. It melted the back of the spoon just a bit (I am surprised it didn't do worse). Fortunately, the burner was on low-med and not high. I'm not lying--I immediately looked up the early signs of Alzheimer's.

Well now you can do a personal experience review about the fire resistance of the plastic spoon for Consumer Reports. :grin:

Cindercat said:
Well now you can do a personal experience review about the fire resistance of the plastic spoon for Consumer Reports. :grin:

:LOL:

So now you know you are not alone. I too can join that club. Now I periodically check to see if the little red light is on tellinig me I left a burner on. Even when I haven't been cooking. :angel:

It was a plastic spoon I got free with Splenda and Koolaid! I have two of them, and they are my favorite spoons! :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

I think it was last week that I ruined a new spatula...left my egg pan on the burner, the egg pan is fine, the working part of the spatula is fine, the handle is ruined. The heat softened the handle and now it is a semi-solid and quite sticky. The spatula was only a couple weeks old. Took me 30 minutes to realize the burner was still on.

Barbara, I am so glad you are okay.

I was forbidden to have an electric kettle for years because I would leave it on the stove top and plug it in there - just like my Mom did for years with no problem. I went through so many kettle cords by leaving a burner on and the cord would melt on it.

Now we have a cordless kettle with a base that is plugged in by the sink not by the stove! :angel:

Barbara, I am so glad you are okay.

I was forbidden to have an electric kettle for years because I would leave it on the stove top and plug it in there - just like my Mom did for years with no problem. I went through so many kettle cords by leaving a burner on and the cord would melt on it.

Now we have a cordless kettle with a base that is plugged in by the sink not by the stove! :angel:

I have a Revereware whistling kettle and it requires that I turn on the stove. I can't stand the sound of the whistle, so I make a mad dash to shut the dang thing off in a hurry. I turn the burner off and let the whistle peter out. No problem there. :angel:

I have a Revereware whistling kettle and it requires that I turn on the stove. I can't stand the sound of the whistle, so I make a mad dash to shut the dang thing off in a hurry. I turn the burner off and let the whistle peter out. No problem there. :angel:
That's what I used for years - it did train me to check the burners more carefully cause I too hated that sound! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom