Abbreviations, Punctuation, Following the Crowd on the WWW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*amy*

Washing Up
Way back when I had aol, I started abbreviating words (taking short cuts for internet discussions). It caught on in a huge way. For internet purposes, I thought it was an easy/ez (yeah I'm using the slash and an easy abbrev, lol) shortcut to say what I wanted to say, without spelling it out. I did some proofreading in my time, & used dots, dashes, slashes when appropriate. I'm starting to see so many slashes, dots & hyphens. I'm wondering how many people just follow the internet crowd in what is popular, but incorrect.

Last edited:
Follow the "internet crowd"? Do you mean write down things the way they might type them online?
Personally speaking. I do not know how to type, so I try not to use internet or text messaging abreviations only because that won't help me remember where all the keys are :ROFLMAO:

Thank God I was forced to take typing in junior high. I never did typing very well but I do use both hands and don't have to look at the keyboard very often. It used to take me forever to type my papers in college - had to retype a page several times because of the numerous errors.

Yep, I know on chatrooms people use a lot of abbreviations. But there one has to respond quickly.

Here we do not. So generally I just type the words, it does not take very much longer at all.

Just may tqke on things.

And I thank the devil I was allowed to drop out of my Jr High typing class, auntdot :(
back then, who woulda thunk?
;)

I hd a jb 1nc nd we wr rqrd to tk nts lk ths.
It is actly prty ez 2 rd & typ lk ths aftr a whl.

As for the "internet and text" languages, I am illiterate.

Mavis Beacon's CD finally taught me to touch type at the age of 45.
My high school guidance counselor told me that typing wasn't a college
pre-requisite.

Yes, she did hear from me the first college Christmas break..... once I finished
the 20 page report I had to TYPE!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrr

The written word, as a genuine form of communication, has rapidly become a lost art. I will not compound the loss by following any internet crowd. Students today, as indeed, most of adult society, have lost the ability to construct a correct letter, do not send thank you notes, and rarely issue written invitations.

I desire no part of abbreviations or slang conversations.

I agree that most students today do not write letters, Thank You notes,or invitations. Who is to blame? It's not all the students fault, Parents are the ones to teach them. My daughter graduated last June and when I told her to write Thank Yous she tried the excuss that nobody did that any more. I told her maybe nobody did, but she was going to. I had two other parents say that the only reason their kids sent one is because my daughter did. I told my daughter just because we have the internet and the phone, it means more to receive a hand written note.
My daughter always asks why I don't use the computer slang, I just tell her I'm not a kid and I don't know what half the stuff means anyway. She's learned that when she is talking to her Gram or I on the computer she uses full words.

I think for the internet the abbreviations are inappropriate for adults. I have put more than one person on ignore when all they would do is speak in their "netspeak." I find the whole internet speak a sign of great laziness and don't approve of it at all. There are phrases, LOL, (two cursing acronyms deleted) are okay, but the 2 and U and UR are ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm I get thank you notes from all student age kids that I know when I give them something worthy of a thank you note.

As for written invitations, evites are a much more efficient, less expensive, better method for inviting people. An evite is instant, does not cost any money, and automatically tracks who is coming, not coming, or possibly coming. I see nothing wrong with using technology for that.

For those that say that using the abbreviations are the lazy way out, I have a question for you. Do you use contractions? If so, what is the difference?

My opinion is that the abbreviations are absolutely fine in the correct setting. Students who use them for schoolwork that is being turned in should be failed. People having an informal conversation with friends should feel no shame in using them. There is a time and place for everything and like it or not, these abbreviations are here to stay.

Contractions are a widely known and accepted understanding taught in school. Netspeak is not and the assumption that everyone knows all the netspeak abbreviations does what we know assuming does.

I disagree. Netspeak IS widely known and accepted. The difference is that it is widely known and accepted by an age group different from yours. Millions and millions of people use these terms every day constantly. There are mainstream commercials that even use them. Advertisers certainly would not spend millions of dollars on advertising campaigns if these things were not widely known and accepted.

Well, my daughter says there's a distinct difference. Netspeak is actually text speak. I guess looking toward college she and her friends realize when typing on a full keyboard U and UR are unacceptable. I doubt the "millions and millions" are online abbreviating. I believe it's more texting rather than message boards. Several that I'm on or have been on forbid the text speak. PS ~ how old do you think I am?

Well I think you are older than 12-17 which is the age group I am talking about. And I bet you would be very surprised if you went into message boards that cater to that age group as you would probably be able to understand about 1/10 of what they are saying since they do use these abbreviations in them. There are other boards that I am on where there is a large range of ages and trust me, netspeak is alive and well on them.

I guess looking toward college she and her friends realize when typing on a full keyboard U and UR are unacceptable.

That's the most important thing right there - they DO understand that in a scholastic setting things revert back to "old school". Gosh, I just love that term :rolleyes:

The advertisements that use the netspeak are generally geared toward teenagers. Most of the ones I've seen, I've had to ask my daughter what they were saying. Your right there is a time and place for netspeak/textspeak.

Well I think you are older than 12-17 which is the age group I am talking about. And I bet you would be very surprised if you went into message boards that cater to that age group as you would probably be able to understand about 1/10 of what they are saying since they do use these abbreviations in them. There are other boards that I am on where there is a large range of ages and trust me, netspeak is alive and well on them.
Well, as the mother of a 16 year old, I frequent many such boards. I have to, I monitor my daughters online usage.

The way you said "your age" made it sound like I was in a totally different age group than you.

That is right mikki, they are. My point is that they are most certainly widely used an accepted, regardless of what demographic uses it the most.

The way you said "your age" made it sound like I was in a totally different age group than you.
That was not intended. I was merely trying to point out that there is a demographic that has widely accepted this form of communication as perfectly valid and actually preferred. A demographic that you (and I) do not belong to.

Back
Top Bottom