?? About My Dog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikki

Sous Chef
Ok, last night my husband left the house for about a half hour. When he got home there was kittylitter spread from one end of the house to the other. The dog had helped himself to the cat box. My question is--- is kittylitter toxic to dogs? I know he'll probably throwup from eating cat poop but should I worry about him getting really sick?

Dogs love to eat cat poop. My dog is 6 years old, and I have done everything I know of to break her from it, and I still find litter in her bed once in a while.

Your best bet is to get a litter box with a cover on top...looks like a little house. The cats like it, and it's harder for the dog to get into.

I don't think it's toxic, but I've heard the clay based stuff can jam up their digestive tract. I'd call the vet, too. And have the ingredients handy.

Dogs love to eat cat poop.

Yes they do.

If anything in a litter box were toxic to dogs I'm afraid domesticated dogs sharing living quarters with cats would become extinct.

And then there is the 'they want to lick you' factor ..... :rolleyes:

Hey, it cuts down on having to clean the litterbox!!!
(just kidding!!!!)

I read somewhere that cat food and hence poop is sweet to dogs... kinda
like candy.

Our two hounds know it is forbidden, so it is funny to see them with kitty litter
on their noses and a "I'm a good dog, right" look on their faces. We have learned
to recognize certain sounds associated with them grazing and just yell NO!
It freezes them in their tracks, but they don't leave the area unless we yell NO!
again... because we just MIGHT be yelling at the sister dog, not them.....

Can't say this has happened to me but then I don't own cat. Plenty people have both dogs and cats so I am sure they can get along. I just know my puppies can't wait to get outside in the morning 4:30 to be exact or 4:45 to eat the what the rabbits leave. I don't get the attraction. All of the dogs I have had look like they are starved when they go outside. I would certainly call the vet to ask about it. Please let me know for future. Thanks

What a mess you had. These puppies seem like t hey do okay one day then the next take a dump or chew my shoes. I surely would not leave the house w/o putting them in the cage first. This one pup eats concrete and dirt! Times he throws up and I never know what he ate to cause it.

I had a dog that used to do this all the time. The Vet said it was because something was missing in his diet that caused him to eat at the litter buffet. I tried a bunch of different foods with various vitamins, vitamin supplements, special treats, etc. I never could get him to stop. The vet said it wasn’t harmful, but understandably distressing. Especially if they want to lick your face shortly there after!

A Cat’s metabolism is designed for high fat and high proteins. Cats aren’t too good with carbohydrates. That’s why cat food is a lot higher in protein and fat, and it’s why dogs love to get their paws on it. That’s also the reason for the ammonia smell in the litter box. One of the side effects of protein catabolism is ammonia production. Maybe increase the protein in your dog’s diet (beef treats, a little bacon treat, etc) and see if that helps?

In the end, it could just be he just likes it the way a kid likes candy.

Our dog goes after them whenever she can (the litter box is in the sunroom with a cat-size pet door, so the dog can't usually get to it) - we call them Kitty Tootsie Rolls :LOL:

I have a book called "Why Dogs Do That." It says dogs evolved to be able to eat anything of nutritive value, rather than starving. It doesn't mean there is anything specific missing in their diet - it's just something they're drawn to eat, just as people evolved to like things that are sweet or have fat - lots of good calories there, at least before the fast-food era.

Thanks guys, I kind of figured that kittylitter wasn't toxic to dogs,if it was i would think there would have to be a warning on the bag. hubby insisted it was toxic to dogs. I'm keeping an eye on him so far he hasn't gotten sick and isn't plugged up.
We just got the cat ,so I think spereading it all over the house was out of jealousy. The first time we left him out of a cage when we left the house he spread garbage all over and even knocked pictures off the walls, and anything hi could put a couple teeth marks in he made sure he did. He is such a brat. Told the kids they better give him extra attention.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom