Afraid to eat self-cooked chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Easton

Cook
I must have a phobia or something but I can't seem to get myself to eat any dish I've made myself that contains chicken. I'm sure if anybody looked at it it's cooked just right, but I can't calm down about it. Not even if I disguised it with tons of sauces or whatever do I think I could bare it.

I'm guessing this is how some of you feel about fish or the way most people view exotic foods. Speaking of fish, I have no problem with any of the fish dishes I make.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....odd.

You really didn't discuss why you cant eat it.

If the juices run clear, and you have a proper internal temp, what is the big deal? In japan, they have chicken sashimi. I trust you are cooking it more then that, LOL!

Chicken is Gods medium, everything odd tastes like chicken(supposedly), is it a flavor thing? Texture thing?...even 5 year olds get down with chicken:)

Trusting yourself and modern technology are two different things.

Internal temp of 165+ and clear juices, for all I care you could play twister with your bird. It is done. Bottom line...unless you are ocd over poultry.

Could be a sense memory nagging at you, since it doesn't appear to bother you if someone else cooks it. My wife's grandfather couldn't stand the smell of cooking chicken - it made him physically ill - because when he was a child, his home was downwind of a chicken house that burned to the ground. Smell is the most powerful sense, especially when it comes to memory. Or perhaps it was a forgotten case of food borne illness. Might want to touch base with the parental units if they're still around and see if anything clicks.

TATTRAT said:
Chicken is Gods medium, everything odd tastes like chicken(supposedly), is it a flavor thing? Texture thing?...even 5 year olds get down with chicken:)

hey tat, even my 2 yr old loves 'shikken'.:LOL:

I had food poisoning when I was 10 from some hamburger my mother made for me. I've made hamburgers for myself before so no problem there. I don't think it's an issue of smell, however. Just some weird, nagging fear in the back of head.:mad:

Why don't you start with filleted and skinned chicken breasts? Dust them in seasoned flour and then fry in butter. Squiz over a little lemon juice and zest for some added interest.

Because they're thin pieces, you can be sure they're cooked properly. Plus you're not faced with what can be the alarming sight of the whole beast.

The toasted golden colour of the flour coating will be very tempting. And the combined buttery and lemony juice is bound to get your appetite going.

I agree with Snoop, filleted chicken breast would be the way to go, and in a skillet so you can easily check the doneness.

It doesn't take long to cook them, depends on the level of flame/heat you are using, but brown the both surface first, if you poke it and pink juice doesn't ooze out, it should be "safe". When in doubt, you can always cut into a thickest part and make sure there is no pink part left. If it has turned thoroughly white, they are good to go.

The only tricky thing is that, you must not overcook filleted chicken breast, as it dries out quickly and can take on a rubbery texture. Also another experiment option is, just have some other people eat it and see if they remain intact!! :rolleyes:

If you are interested in getting over your fear, 2 other options for you would be to:
a) see a professional (psychologist or psychiatrist) to help figure out where your fear comes from or
b) find a local cooking class focused on chicken. Perhaps if you are taught the right way to cook chicken (even though I'm sure you are doing it right), you will overcome your fear and feel more comfortable eating it.

If you are not interested - just don't cook anymore chicken. If your family would like it, it can be a special treat for them when you go out.

Just my early morning thoughts - Good luck!

Ever since the whole bird flu situation became very public I have a GF that is so chicken paranoid that she'll cook her chicken breasts till their to the point of leather all because she wants to eat the leanest part of the chicken. There is no convincing her about the whole proper way to cook it so that it is done and still will be tender and moist.....her pre-programmed response, "I ain't taking no chances....ain't no germs going to be left living on that bird when I'm done with it".

I'm with JMed on this...see a doc and get over it or just don't cook chicken anymore. Big deal, enjoy mac n cheese instead. If you can enjoy take out chicken or someone else's preparation , fine, save chicken for eat out experiences. It may have nothing to do with you cooking the chicken, but the feel of the raw product as you get it ready for cooking, or something along those lines.

My dad grew up on a farm, where everyone had chores to do. One of his jobs was to singe and pick the chickens. He thought chickens were nasty creatures anyway (they do eat their own poop), but he never could get the smell of those burnt chicken feathers out of his mind. If he came in my house and I was boiling a chicken, he'd just turned around and go back out the door.
In later years, he did get to the point where he would eat my fried chicken breasts. He said they didn't taste at all like the old "grasshopper chickens" of his childhood.

it is a little Bizare that you`ll eat Fish you cook but not Chicken?

Fish poisoning is Far more toxic than you could EVER hope to get from any chicken.

Food poisoning from fish is frequently Fatal, I`ve been on the receiving end of Fish poisoning, I was on Oxygen, a drip and several injections hourly to keep me going!

if you can be trusted with Fish, then Chicken is the least of your worries :)

I have an idear. Buy one of those pre cooked bags of chicken, like the ones you would use on a salad, make up some stir-fry or a wrap, just something that you would need to heat it up a little. And see if that makes a difference. Or buy a roasted chicken from your supermarket and use those pieces to make some sort of dish.

IMHO - You're more likely to get run over by a kangaroo than get sick from slightly undercooked chicken.

How about pork?

img_425290_0_2c868757e4ff1c4b8137794bb8e47646.gif

I agree, that's what KFC and Chik-fil-a are for!
I don't like to see chicken raw either. It honestly is gross but I'm fine eating it once it's cooked, no matter who cooks it.
Good luck with this problem.

Snoop Puss said:
Why don't you start with filleted and skinned chicken breasts? Dust them in seasoned flour and then fry in butter. Squiz over a little lemon juice and zest for some added interest.

Because they're thin pieces, you can be sure they're cooked properly. Plus you're not faced with what can be the alarming sight of the whole beast.

The toasted golden colour of the flour coating will be very tempting. And the combined buttery and lemony juice is bound to get your appetite going.
Haha, that's actually more or less what I made. Whatever though, I guess this will pass as I gain more cooking experience. Thanks for your help, though.

YT2095 said:
I`ve been on the receiving end of Fish poisoning, I was on Oxygen, a drip and several injections hourly to keep me going!

So, are your fish-eating days over, YT, or did you get back up on that horse?

Lee

Back
Top Bottom