Ah, to be a kid again ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael in FtW

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I had to go to the store to get a couple of things for the stew I'm going to make tomorrow (I forgot the garlic and bay leaves). But, when I stepped out the door I just had to stop and reflect for a minute ...

Up and down the street houses are decorated for Halloween - like they were when I was a kid - before we had to worry about crazy people putting poison or razor blades in kids candy, or pedophiles. And, there is a big old moon shining down ... and there is a chill in the air ... it's about 54ºF ... just right for a sweater and jacket ... and I could hear the announcer over at the high school football stadium about 3/4 mile from here. And, the girl that mows my lawn was here today ... so there was the smell of a new moan lawn in the air.

I took a deep breath, looked around, then closed my eyes. For a moment I was transported back to October of 1964-1966 - I thought about my old HS girlfriend - remembered the smell of her perfume, the smell of the concession stand at the football games ... remembered the sound of the bands ... the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat .... going to the drive-in for a Cherry-Vanilla Coke after the game ... and a lot of other memories came flooding in, too.

I took another deep breath .... then, with the sounds of the announcer at the high school stadium echoing in my ears ... I opened my eyes, came back to today, got into my car and went to the store. But, on the way home I kept looking at the moon and wondering what ever happened to Bev ....

Oh, Michael, that was beautiful. I, too, miss those wonderful days. I fondly remember borrowing a friend's new basketball shoes as part of my Halloween costume. I had big feet, but not as big as his. For some reason big shoes were an integral part of my costume. I was at least in 8th grade. My merry band of candy robbers went from house to house having a wonderful time. It was autumn, no duh, and the leaves were wet from a previous day's rain. We were in an unfamiliar neighborhood and I, in my eagerness to score some treats, jumped a ditch. Now, I have long legs and was/am a pretty good jumper, but...I didn't bridge the expanse. Instead my two feet went soundly into the ditch, which was filled with, unknown to me, sewage.

Guess what? My friend's brand new shoes went from pristine white to sludge blue/black. Pew! What to do.

Thankfully, one of my other candy bandits had a grandmother who lived on that street. We hurried to her house where we quickly put the shoes into her washer and brought them back to "almost" new.

I don't remember if my friend ever knew what I'd subjected his shoes to, but we sure had a great time that Halloween, in spite of my smelly hop.

When I was in Andover, MA a few years ago - the guys I was working with thought I was nuts because I was so excited about "autum" - the turning of the leaves from one color to another, to another, to another before they fall off the trees, etc. To them - it was just a natural season that is a transitional peiod that lasts several weeks. Even in AL, MS, GA - you can enjoy it for a few days .... but here in TX - "FALL" is not a season - it is the night that the leaves on the trees turn brown and fall off! :LOL:

When I was in Andover, MA a few years ago - the guys I was working with thought I was nuts because I was so excited about "autum" - the turning of the leaves from one color to another, to another, to another before they fall off the trees, etc. To them - it was just a natural season that is a transitional peiod that lasts several weeks. Even in AL, MS, GA - you can enjoy it for a few days .... but here in TX - "FALL" is not a season - it is the night that the leaves on the trees turn brown and fall off! :LOL:

Is it really that way in Texas? We get WEEKS of color here (on the trees). I look forward to it every year but I've never spent fall in Texas before.

very nice, michael. thanks for that. :)

i often close my eyes and transport into the past. campfires, holiday decorations, family pictures, etc., tend to do that. :sleep:

having a child fairly late in life has allowed me to begin "living" a second life. i've found you have to make sure to take notice of now to be able to continue to transport.

i think that's an important exercise, for young and old.

good thread, man.

This has brought back some wonderful memories, Michael. I miss a "real" Autumn. Down here, they think it's cold at 70 degrees. Sweater weather is my favorite time of year..sigh.

I too enjoyed reading these post, memories are the greatest! Living in Michigan, we do have all the beautiful seasons. Our lawn is covered with multi colored maple leaves. I also can hear the football announcer on Friday nights, and can tell when our team gets a touch down! Making me want to sing our fight song! Thanks for this great thread !

I'm having a little chuckle here too. I remember all that stuff fondly, but to me, Halloween meant figuring out how to get your princess costume on over your snowsuit. Its only in the last 15 years or so that we've had Halloween's where the snow wasn't up to your knees. LOL. My girls are raring to go, and although folks here don't decorate the way I've seen towns in the US decorated, its still plenty fun and spooky.
Late in life child buckytom??? How the heck old are you??? I was thinking you were my age or younger. All those hours of work are aging you prematurely my friend. I'm still a young whippersnapper dadblastitall!

lol, alix, let's just say when michael was sniffing bev's hair, i coulda been their love child... :)

ME TOO!!! So don't you DARE start talking "late in life" crap around me or I'm coming over there to give you what for! *grumble grumble*

Bev huh? I have those moments too Michael. For me it was Ginger, a red head. Then my mind drifts to the refrains of Garth Brooks singing, Thank God For Unanswered Prayers :whistling

:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom