Aidan's name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
Whenever we introduce Aidan to someone, that person always says "Oh, I have a ___ (son, niece, my uncle's girlfriend's godson) named Aidan." :rolleyes: The other day there were 2 other Aidans at the park besides ours! :ohmy: We are thinking of calling him by his middle name, Reid. What do you think? It feels kinda weird for me. And how do we get him to be Reid to those who already know him as Aidan? Do we introduce him as Aidan Reid and say we call him Reid?:wacko: I value your thoughts and input!

that's silly, imo, cora. the boy's name is adian. to he!! with all of those other little copycat bast!ds.
while the name aiden, or similar sounding names or spellings has become almost a phenomenon in recent years, it will pass, and your son will be no different than the tom, dick (that musta been a tough one), and harrys of years gone by.
unless it becomes some ridiculous event on a more private level, such as 3 or 4 of his schoolmates that he will be with for many years are also named aidan, i would let it be. moreso, i'd teach him the meaning of his name, (i've found it means everything from "to help", to "a little fire" or "fiery", to a "7th century bishop/monk named aed") why his and other parents would name their child that, and to be proud as one if not the best of the aidans around.
give him his fire!

Hey, I've got a friend who's son is Aiden!

Seriously, growing up, there were always several Matts in class. Sometimes, I had to be called 'Matt F.', but it was never that big of a deal. Call him what fits. If he's an Aiden, call him Aiden, if he's a Reid, call him Reid. If he really doesn't like it, he can change it when he's older, and that can be his decision.

Also, my middle name is Matt. The only irritation I've had is in signing official documents and, occasionally, someone will unknowingly refer to me by my first name. It's no big deal either.

So, either way, go with the name you like better, and the one that fits.

My daughter has a name that isn't used much and my son has a name that is used a lot. There have been problems with both. I think whatever you call him should be your choice, but can say the people I've known who changed what they were called, it was uncomfortable - they end up answering to both or neither. If you are going to change it, by all means do it before he gets any older. I have a step grandaughter who changed what she wanted to be called her last year of high school. She answers to both now, but even her father isn't sure what to call her sometimes.

I agree with Bucky. I'd stick with the name you and DH chose for HIM--look at the others as the ones that are copying you! Besides, I'd think that could confuse Aidan some, suddenly switching his name. It's all how you know him, including himself.

BTW, I love the name!

I am with Bucky and PA... Cora, Aidan is a lovely name and it is the name you and your hubby chose for him. And it is not really the name but the boy himself is what makes him special. All of you should be proud of his name, and don't worry about "others". "Aidan, your son" is one and only, no matter what you would call him.:)

Cora, I agree with everyone here. And yes,I know someone with a similar name, my great nephew is Kaden. What is funnier, his middle name is Reid.
Whatever she liked about that name, she went nuts with her second son and named him Jacob Aiden. It's just the popular name at this time. Just like Michael, David or John were at one time. I like those names.
Don't call him anything other than his given name. You chose that name for a reason, just as others choose the names they like for a reason. Do you know how many people had my name growing up? Stacy was a VERY big name when I was born. Every time I turned around, there was another one. LOL. He'll be okay.

Here is another vote to keep it as is. You picked a wonderful name. It is HIS name and it is great. That other people use it too just shows how much people love it. His personality will be unique, don't worry about his name being so. For the people that know his, he will be the original Aidan.

Aidan is such a lovely name. It's the name you chose in the beginning, I'd stick to it, yes, if he is an Aidan, let him be one. I remember when my son was born, we has four names, two for if we had a girl and two for if we had a boy. We had one look at him and knew he didn't look like a Daniel, more like a Nicolas, so he is Nicolas.I think there is a feeling parents have about the names and reasons for choosing them, don't forget that.I on the other hand grew up with a name that was very unusual in Kenya, and not many people pronounced it well and I kept wanting to change it because everytime I said my name, (Hyacinth) I would be asked, 'Higher what?'It used to annoy me so much so I talked to a very wise friend of mine when I was a teenager, and he got out a dictionary and we looked up the meaning of my name, it said 'sweet smelling spring flower' and he told me what a beautiful name it is and how he used to pick hyacinths for his mum when he was a child and a young adult in ireland.All this time I had no idea it was a flower, I just thought I was named after some saint.

aidan is a cute name that will grow with a baby into a grown-up. i'd keep it as it is. it may be a huge adjustment for aidan if you change to 'reid' now that aidan's a toddler.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone else... keep it. I grew up with a common name (there were 4 boys in my class in a small town school that shared my name). Now that I'm out in the 'real world' it's actually somewhat unusual for me to meet someone who shares my name.

Mark.

I love the name AIDEN, and it is wildly spreading in popularity,
but I would stick with calling him Aiden,just my opion:)

corazon90 said:
Whenever we introduce Aidan to someone, that person always says "Oh, I have a ___ (son, niece, my uncle's girlfriend's godson) named Aidan." :rolleyes: The other day there were 2 other Aidans at the park besides ours! :ohmy: We are thinking of calling him by his middle name, Reid. What do you think? It feels kinda weird for me. And how do we get him to be Reid to those who already know him as Aidan? Do we introduce him as Aidan Reid and say we call him Reid?:wacko: I value your thoughts and input!

Aiden is a cool name. Haven't met anyone named Aiden & love the name. Growing up, there were Michelles everywhere, school etc. Only thing that bugged me was, whenever I introduced myself, people would break out in song - Michele My Belle, and smile. UGGGHH. Stay with Aiden, it's what you guys wanted to name your loved one. Besides, whenever I hear Aiden, I think of the cutee on that popular TV series, who also starred in Northern Exposure... and didn't he marry Bo? LOL.

You named him Aiden because you wanted him to be Aiden. Why change it because of others, you can bet their not going to change their kids name because of you... besides how old is he... won't he want to know why... he's himself, its his personality traits that make him an individual, not his name...

The Z said:
I agree with everyone else... keep it. I grew up with a common name (there were 4 boys in my class in a small town school that shared my name). Now that I'm out in the 'real world' it's actually somewhat unusual for me to meet someone who shares my name.

Mark.

i donno z. your last name might be tricky, but your first isn't.

"the" is a very common middle name with mascots and historical figures, like smokey "the" bear, and suleiman "the" magnificent...

:)

It's his name, let him use it. If others have the same name, let THEM change.

We selected family names (grandmother and aunt) for our daughters. Conicidently, they were both the most popular names for girls in the years they were born. Consider it an endorsement of the name choice.

I know when I was growing up I wished my name was more popular. There was only one other boy who shared my name and I always wished there were more. I wanted a name like Mike or John or something super common. I am happy with my name now, but as a kid I would have liked to known others kids my age with the same name.

I agree with the group on this, Cora. Aidan is that name that you bestowed upon your little angel after you had carried him for nine months and then gazed down upon his darling face. It's special and dear to you and your family, no matter how many people share it. Treasure the name that you gave your child, and remember that uniqueness comes from within, not from a person's name.

Thanks everyone! What a boost of confidence you all gave! You're right, he is an Aidan, it fits him in a way that Reid doesn't. We picked the name Aidan because it was so uncommon. It might be wierd in school for him but like you guys said, it will pass.

I'm really happy with Callum's name. The name was suggested from my Scottish grandparents and I found out yesterday it's the 8th most popular boy's name there. Still uncommon here though. We like the Scottish names and I like to stay close to my roots.

My name has created it's share of problems over the years. Brooke- no, not like a stream Brook but it is prononouced like Bruke, rhymes with puke. It's the Scottish pronunciation. I answer to both names, even some of my family calls me Brook. I used to just let it slide when I'd introduce myself but now I make a point to ensure they get it right.

Here comes my Aidan now, with a bunch of raspberries in his hands.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom