Alarming or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alarming or Not?

• Total voters

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, this is a spin off on luvs morning thread. I notice that there are lots of folks out there like me who wake up without an alarm for whatever reason. I'm just curious as to how many can "set" themselves to wake up.

I sometimes awake on my own but not reliably enough to not use an alarm clock. Perhaps if I didn't have an alarm clock my internal alarm would become more reliable out of necessity.

Same as Andy, I get up around the same time my alarn goes off, usually right before, but i wouldn't try it on a morning I had to go to work!
I am at home all week and I still set one, I can't go without my couple hours alone before the kids get up. If they wake me up it's straight into the chaos and I can't cope!

since i work every schedule known to man in any given week, i use alarms if needed, but don't always sleep long enough to need it.

that is, if i'm working dayshifts, i use an alarm in the morning.

if i work a midnight shift and have to get up early (late morning-early afternoon) for something, then i use an alarm. otherwise, i sleep until mid-afternoon, and just wake up crabby on my own. :cool:

I can set an "internal" alarm that is absolutely reliable, as long as I'm on my regular sleep schedule. But if I've had some seriously late nights and am sleep deprived, I use an alarm as a back-up. Even then, I wake up just before the alarm 90% of the time.

I "set" myself. I can't remember when I used an alarm clock last. It's been at least 25 years. Doesn't matter when I have to awaken. I just "think" strongly to myself what time I need to be up and it happens. Buck, on the other hand, has to have an alarm clock. Sometimes even that doesn't work for him. Over the years, he's come to rely on me as backup. I think one of the reasons alarm clocks fail for him is that he DOES depend on me to be awake on time and to wake him so he doesn't oversleep.

I always have an alarm on weekdays (cellphone), but a lot of the time I wake up before it goes off.
I'm still glad I have the alarm though, because I usually lay in bed and tell myself "This is so comfortable.. I'm just gonna stay here for one... more... minute...." and sleep until the alarm goes off. lol

I definitely would not depend on myself if I had somewhere I had to be in the morning though.

I get up whenever usually. Work from home most day's so I can start work just about any time I choose. For the days I do go in or have other appointments, I do set the alarm, but often wake up on my own. I average about 3 hours of sleep... that is the longest I can go for at any given time.

I always set the alarm. And, I always wake up ten minutes before it goes off. If I have to set it earlier ( to catch a plane etc), then I usually don't sleep all night, just in case it doesn't go off!!!

I set myself, first it was to get up and start breakfast for the babies when I took care of them. Now, I know to get done in time to start my first exchange of the day I have to get everything in place by 7:30..I'm wondering what it's going to be like when I get hooked up to the cycler for 9 hours per night..I am dreading it..I don't think I'm going to take to wearing a leash like an old dog!!!
Oh boy do I wish I was normal again.
kadesma

Evidently I have beat the system and don't have to do either. I'm joking of course because I got up 33 hours ago and ended up not going to bed last night at all. Even I don't normally do that!

I tend to go to bed too late (everyone who knows me just gave a collective, "DUH!"), so I need an alarm clock. In fact, I have 3 alarm clocks and sometimes sleep through all of them. I have always been an extremely deep sleeper. When I was 19 I spent the winter with my aunt, uncle, and cousins in Minnesota (we were very close to the Canadian border). My cousin and I shared an attic room, with only the heat that managed to make it up the stairs. I kept my alarm across the room on a dresser. As cold as it got up there, a few times I walked across the room, turned the alarm off, and went back to bed, and never heard the alarm. Yes, I obviously heard it, but it didn't register. Sometimes now I will wake up with this weird box in my hands, trying to figure out why it is making noise and what all the buttons are for. I'm not kidding! I sleep that deeply.

:)Barbara

For the most part, I start easing awake between 3:30am and 4am. However, it's such an early hour that my body really isn't ready to get up, so I can easily fall back to sleep during that time. If not for the phone alarm, I'd sleep past 4:25 as often as I'd not. I cannot really be too late to work, too much to do...so I set the alarm to be on the safe side.

I can set an "internal" alarm that is absolutely reliable, as long as I'm on my regular sleep schedule. But if I've had some seriously late nights and am sleep deprived, I use an alarm as a back-up. Even then, I wake up just before the alarm 90% of the time.
:) I do the same if I have a regular schedule to wake up. At this time I can wake up when I feel like it. But if I need to wake up at a certain even if I have done it a long time I use an alarm to make sure, usually I'm up before it goes off. But just in case?

at 34 i have been getting up at 5:30 for 17 years ...
even on weekends ... the wife hates it ..
no alarm needed .. but still set one ...

i don't even own an alarm clock. i get up when i feel like it. and it is not usually very early. thomas , my cat, wakes me up by looking in my face from up close and personal. he will leave if i just don't open my eyes.

i used to be a night owl and slept late if i could. now i go to bed about the same time, 11 pm every night and wake up when i want to. i know i am lucky.

babe:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom