Alcoholic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-DEADLY SUSHI-

Washing Up
Anyone here an alcoholic? A few folks here know that I drink a lot on occasion. Soooooooo... I diagnosed myself as an alcoholic.
It really bugs me. Sober, Im a well thinking guy with a good heart. But after half a 5th of hard liquer I turn into a jerk that blabs and makes poor decisions. I went to AA last week and talked to a few guys that are in the same boat. They are about 20-22 years old. I told them 2/3 of the stuff that I did or what happened to me that involved alcohol and scared them stiff. It felt good to tell folks what this devil sauce does. I just wish I knew what it feels like to be able to have a few beers and just stop. Because I just want to keep drinking. :ermm:

Sometimes it is just mental quirks that have never been diagnosed. A psychiatrist (whose name I do not recall) said that we all have triggers. And he wasn't just talking about addictions. He was talking about human behavior. For example he describes a person who normally drives the speed limit and for no apparent reason from time to time that same person drives 100 mph. They have theorized instantaneous amnesia. The question evolves around the characteristics that are influenced during these austere time frames. They have eliminated schizophrenia which dominates the state of mental health and is not lucrative for occasional or temporary chaos.
The study deals with the creative factor of processing information as in dealing with probability and possibility.

I am an addict to prescription pills and am in an intense outpatient treatment program for it right now. In a few hours I'll be going to my first AA meeting (a requirement for the treatment program).

I've lost a few jobs due to my addiction and wrecked my car on March 31st. I'm lucky to be alive.

Last night I called someone in my group therapy to make sure we were still set for this mornings AA meeting and he admitted to me that he HAS NOT been sober during treatment, that he has been drinking and he is scared...very scared.

PM me if you want to talk....

Good luck with your meeting Angie. I'll be praying for you (hope you don't mind) that everything goes well.

:) Barbara

Sushi

I guess I am lucky, I enjoy a few beers almost everyday. Nothing more than that, it used to be a problem with my mother-in-law as she was a person raised to believe drinking was the devils work. It never caused any problems at work or at home... I still say a couple of beers are better for you than a cople of cokes.

Best wishes
later

im a third generation alcoholic, my mom is an alcoholic, my father died of alcoholism when he was 38, and both of my grandparents on one side were alcoholics.

i've been hospitalized for drinking a couple times with liver failure and acute pancreatitis, not fun stuff..it's no joke.

An Anonymous Prayer for you:

There’s someone in the mirror looking at you. Someone is saying goodbye. Someone that you could love if you wanted to. Someone that no one else loves. Someone that you can have and to hold all the days of your life.

Someone in the mirror is looking at you. Someone is saying goodbye. Someone who doesn’t have much. Someone who needs to be loved and cared about. Someone who needs a friend to hold hands with everyday.

Someone in the mirror is looking at you. Someone is saying goodbye. Someone who is alone and afraid. Someone who has travel a long road. Someone who needs to be invited to share a smile. Someone who needs a place to call home.

Someone in the mirror is looking at you. Someone is saying goodbye. Someone who is hopeless and helpless. Someone who isn’t going to finish the race. Someone who needs a tug and a shoulder to lean on. Someone who walks a mile.

Someone in the mirror is looking at you. Someone is saying goodbye. Someone needs your love. Someone has tears in their eyes. Someone needs to share your day. Someone who has never done wrong has no place to turn.

Someone in the mirror is looking at you. Someone is saying goodbye. Someone is kind and thoughtful. Someone is someplace no body is looking. Someone in the mirror is looking at you.

Oh my what can I say. Both Hubby and me are RECOVERING ALCOHOLICS of 30 years. Yea you read right Hubby is 75 and I am 69. So I think I can speak with some authority. The only way you will ever be able to stop drinking is if you want to. And as far as being a social drinker once you have declared yourself a alcoholic you can't socially drink. In our cases you are either a drinker or a non drinker. For us there is no in between. Its either black or white and there is no gray area. I don't mean to discourage you but life is so much better now that we do not need alcohol or for that matter smoking either. To bad all this couldn't happen before but then that was yesterday and today's today. Good luck we will be praying for you. You do know that praying does help?

Sushi,

Get some professional help immediately, please. I beg of you!!

Alcoholism is a very serious addition, and it ranks right up there with drug addiction, heavy smoking and compulsive gambling.

It hurts yourself as well as your friends and family. Consider going to a detox facility for a drying out.

Run_Out said:
Sushi

I guess I am lucky, I enjoy a few beers almost everyday. Nothing more than that, it used to be a problem with my mother-in-law as she was a person raised to believe drinking was the devils work. It never caused any problems at work or at home... I still say a couple of beers are better for you than a cople of cokes.

Best wishes
later

Same here, Run_Out. I agree with you completely.

I've watched myself though, as I had a grandfather who was an alcoholic, and a mother and daughter who got hooked on Valium.

By the way, I had a mother-in-law like that too. :(

When I was a young girl I asked my mother when will I enjoy the taste of liquor - her answer was when you get older.

I am 64 years old and I still can't stand the taste.

For all of you with addiction problems there is a lot of help out there. Go to meetings and talk with others - you will be surprised how much it helps.

I was never a smoker and maybe I will have a Margarita on my birthday but that hasn't happened in several years. I think with all I'm going through right now..that's a good thing.

Ive been dry for 2 months now. I'm trying not to drink at all until my next birthday in October. I probably wont make it, but I want to give it my all, I used to drink every day, but it led me down a bad path. I wish you all the best.

My grandfather was an alcoholic, and it killed him. My father refused to touch the stuff. Sadly, he passed from colon cancer in his 30's. My grandmother would always, and still does, get on a soapbox and preach about the evils of alcohol.

When I was younger, and in college, yes, I did dabble in the Dark Arts. However, the Specter of my family history shadows my activities. I went on a bender twice. Once for a birthday, once for a party in my honor as I left one job for another.

One of my instructor chef's in college would always preach about "Everything in Moderation". About the time I left college, I changed my drinking. Nowadays, I just don't drink that much. If I do, it's just one beer. I don't buy beer that often, maybe once a month, if that. I do have hard liquor, but I only cook with it.

I still practice moderation. However, some folks just can't do that. For those that can't moderate how much they drink, I think abstination is the only answer.

alot of people are

Alot of people in this industry either abuse alcohol, drugs or both and the ones who don't abuse food. My experience is in there somewhere...... Don't feel like you are alone though as we all are addicted to something. But if you feel you have to have that drink to perform well or cope with the job and people around you, then you definately need to get help. Stay with the AA meetings. :sick:

Thanks for the responses. :) Its not to fun nor easy being this way. Yesterday i woke up at 3pm. I went out and did a few errands. Then I got a case of 30 beers for $11 plus a pack of Marlboro Lights. Total of about $16.
Been drinking from 10pm till now. Not heavy. A few beers an hour.
Its bad for SO many reasons. But Im borred. I get borred somewhat quick. I have very little money so I cant go out and shop. I just stay here in my apartment drinking. Every woman I ask out is taken or not attracted to me.
My last job gave me constant heart palpitations. They are gone now. So I feel healthy enough to look for a new job. (I was fired in January)
Bills are pilling up. I am almost broke and almost out of unemployment pay.
Anyhew, its 9am and Im still drinking my beer. Im lonely. No one is here to hug me or to talk to. Hence the beer. BUUUUUT I have my 2 cats. I suppose. No parents. No siblings. Just music and movies. The pool at my apartment is now open but Im 20 pounds over weight. Not looking to s3xy.
But its my fault. Im alright though! :) Im always alright.

I have absolutely no sympathy for someone who comes on here and declares they are an alcoholic and says they want to stop drinking, but then says they just bought a 30 pack because they are bored.

If you are so bored then why not go out and look for a job instead of sitting around drinking and posting on forums trying to drum up sympathy? If you are so bored then why don't you go get help for your drinking problem that you claim you want help for.

From where I sit, you seem to me like you have no desire to get help. You are just looking for attention and for people to come and say "Oh look at poor sushi. Everything will be OK. You are a great guy and we love you Blah Blah Blah". Sorry to put it so bluntly, but these are my views and I am not going to sugar coat them. If you REALLY wanted help then you could get it, but you obviously are just looking for attention.

I was an absolute chain smoker...first thing in the morning waiting for the coffee, between every class, between courses in a meal, waking up in the middle of the night to keep the nicotine level in my system high and even. And we aren't talking lights...non filters for me please! I quit with help and have stayed quit. Alcohol, I can easily do a beer with a meal or a glass of wine...and for special occasions a fine wiskey on the rocks. But I can't stand being dizzy, and a second drink or third beer or wine will put me way over my comfort level and I've learned to just not go there.

We all have issues...some may be more legal at the moment than others or have less immediate health risks, but all are real. The good news is there is HELP out there for us. Ask for it, and work at it...(yep it does take work and determination.) Go for it my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom