"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2021, 09:59 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Aldi’s

I just recently rediscovered Aldi’s. Many years ago they had the reputation of having below average items. It seems things have changed. Just started shopping in the local store. Their produce is much cheaper than the other chains and better than most. I found a 12 grain bread that I love for $1.85. Their off brand name snacks are just as good as most and much cheaper. They also carry ambrosia rolls for those homemade cheesesteaks! They are however lacking in the meat department. The poultry is fine, but most of their other meats are sliced very thin. Not my style. I do like having a butcher to cut meat for my taste.

Just wondering about other’s experience with Aldi’s.

Ksm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
Master Chef

I like Aldi. I wish there was one closer to where i am.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:23 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Their loss leaders, this week grapes for 99 cents/lb, are good. They have flour and sugar and baking spices at good prices. Cocoa a better price than most stores. I don't buy very much processed food, so have little recent experience with crackers or breads or snacks.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:22 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I buy probably most of my groceries at Aldi's, which is right up the street from here, so it's the closest place to me. Two larger supermarkets are fairly close, but I only go to those for sales they sometimes have. But it's very seldom.

A lot of the things Aldi carries are very good, and sometimes seasonal, like some olive oil that I saw there today. There are 4 varieties of Spanish EV olive oils for only $3.99/500 ml - I got the Picual variety, which I remembered as a stronger variety. They often have some of the things TJs has, with slightly different names, but usually only briefly.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:44 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
I buy probably most of my groceries at Aldi's, which is right up the street from here, so it's the closest place to me. Two larger supermarkets are fairly close, but I only go to those for sales they sometimes have. But it's very seldom.

A lot of the things Aldi carries are very good, and sometimes seasonal, like some olive oil that I saw there today. There are 4 varieties of Spanish EV olive oils for only $3.99/500 ml - I got the Picual variety, which I remembered as a stronger variety. They often have some of the things TJs has, with slightly different names, but usually only briefly.
I never looked at their olive oil. I will have to look for it next time. That’s a good price.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:41 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksm View Post
I never looked at their olive oil. I will have to look for it next time. That’s a good price.
Only if it single origin make a purchase.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:06 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksm View Post
I just recently rediscovered Aldi’s. Many years ago they had the reputation of having below average items. It seems things have changed...Just wondering about other’s experience with Aldi’s.
My experience with Aldi has been pretty much like yours, Ksm. As a Girl Scout leader in the 1980s, I used them as my main source for scout supplies, especially when camping. 1-3 graders will eat practically anything, especially after being outdoors for hours and hours. However, about the only things I bought for home consumption were milk and eggs.

Fast-forward to 2000. We moved from OH to MA. Not an Aldi in site for states and states. They moved into CT (we're in a MA border town to CT, so CT literally the next town over) sometime in the middle-2000s. I could not believe the difference in quality during the 6-7 years between shopping their stores. It's about 18 miles each way to Aldi and back, so I tend to make one major shopping run to the store each month. If I need replenish our half-and-half stock, I can save enough to pay for the gas for the trip just getting 4 or 6 quarts. H&H at Aldi is $1.55. Least expensive grocery store price for the same size? $2.29.

BTW, welcome to DC, Ksm. Nice to have you aboard.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:26 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I like our Aldi, but not for meat. I wish they were closer.

T
Termy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:55 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
My experience with Aldi has been pretty much like yours, Ksm. As a Girl Scout leader in the 1980s, I used them as my main source for scout supplies, especially when camping. 1-3 graders will eat practically anything, especially after being outdoors for hours and hours. However, about the only things I bought for home consumption were milk and eggs.

Fast-forward to 2000. We moved from OH to MA. Not an Aldi in site for states and states. They moved into CT (we're in a MA border town to CT, so CT literally the next town over) sometime in the middle-2000s. I could not believe the difference in quality during the 6-7 years between shopping their stores. It's about 18 miles each way to Aldi and back, so I tend to make one major shopping run to the store each month. If I need replenish our half-and-half stock, I can save enough to pay for the gas for the trip just getting 4 or 6 quarts. H&H at Aldi is $1.55. Least expensive grocery store price for the same size? $2.29.

BTW, welcome to DC, Ksm. Nice to have you aboard.
Thanks for the welcome. Glad to meet new people.
Glad I am not the only person to notice how Aldi’s has improved.