Almost half of the world actually prefers instant coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
Almost half of the world actually prefers instant coffee - The Washington Post

From link:

Americans’ taste in coffee might be getting more high-end—with a growing fixation on perfectly roasted beans, pricier caffeinated concoctions, and artisan coffee brewers—but it turns out a surprisingly big part of the world is going in the opposite direction: towards instant coffee.

Sales of instant coffee—the kind that dissolves in hot water and has been popularized by brands like Nescafe—have nearly tripled since 2000, according to data from market research firm Euromonitor. The world consumed nearly $31 billion-worth last year, and is expected to drink more than $35 billion-worth by 2018. Instant coffee accounts for more than 34 percent of all the retail brewed coffee consumed around the world.

Is the USA just a bunch of coffee Snobs...

Me too as far as instant. As little as we drink coffee, maybe once or twice a week, I prefer the real deal.

I do have instant on hand to enhance certain recipes, like with ice cream or chocolate.

Last edited:
I actually have a tiny jar I bought for a recipe of some type. It went into the rub/marinade if I remember correctly.

Okay, I do have some instant espresso I use in recipes. But no straight instant coffee, except for the E-kit.

No regular instant coffee here, but Stirling has a small jar of instant espresso in case of a migraine emergency where we are out of other coffee.

I don't know that people necessarily prefer instant. I have been told that you can only find instant coffee in some places, like Columbia!

Last edited:
Sales reflect what most people buy but also what they can afford!!!

If people, with instant coffee in their shopping baskets, were asked what type of coffee they would like to drink if money were no object...I think the results would be different.

I prefer organic filtered coffee but tend to buy organic instant coffee! I think it's partly that I associate filtered coffee with having a stronger flavour and I try not to have too much caffeine (e.g. I wouldn't enjoy a watery filtered coffee).

I used instant coffee in the 70's during the coffee boycott.

I have also used it when traveling and camping over the years. I find the secret to making a decent cup of instant coffee is to put the coffee granules into the pot of water and allow it to boil up instead of putting the crystals in the cup and pouring the hot water over them.

Normally I use this ground roast coffee from the local market.
Chock Full Of Nuts Jingle - Page Morton Black - YouTube

Did you know that the original jingle was:

Chock full o’Nuts is that heavenly coffee,

Heavenly coffee, heavenly coffee.
Chock full o’Nuts is that heavenly coffee,

Better coffee Rockefeller’s money can’t buy.

It was changed after complaints from members of the Rockefeller family.

Last edited:
I keep the little packets of Nescafe Classico for recipes, I've used them in a pinch for a cup and they weren't all that bad, full flavored and smooth even. I use cream and sugar so that can take the edge of mediocre coffee.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I use instant coffee because I prefer it. I don't have to throw out 1/2 pot of coffee frequently, I gained counter space, and I prefer the flavor.

Almost half of the world actually prefers instant coffee - The Washington Post

From link:

Americans’ taste in coffee might be getting more high-end—with a growing fixation on perfectly roasted beans, pricier caffeinated concoctions, and artisan coffee brewers—but it turns out a surprisingly big part of the world is going in the opposite direction: towards instant coffee.

Sales of instant coffee—the kind that dissolves in hot water and has been popularized by brands like Nescafe—have nearly tripled since 2000, according to data from market research firm Euromonitor. The world consumed nearly $31 billion-worth last year, and is expected to drink more than $35 billion-worth by 2018. Instant coffee accounts for more than 34 percent of all the retail brewed coffee consumed around the world.

Is the USA just a bunch of coffee Snobs...
Perhaps the people who drink the 34% have never had a good cup of coffee.

In Jordan on holiday in the 1990s we stayed in a hotel in Amman where you could chose either Turkish-style coffee, which was the norm, or Nescafe, brought to the table with the tin and hot water and mixed with a great deal of ceremony. It was more expensive too.

I don't like instant coffee. Nothing to do with snobbery. I disliked coffee until I was in my 20s and had "real" coffee for the first time with no milk. My mother made Nescafe completely with hot milk - bleuch!

As a kid of maybe 10 or 11, when my parents went out I immediately attacked the instant coffee and loved the flavor from the beginning. They'd come home and wonder what was the matter with me as I bounced off the walls. Since then I can't attribute my fascination with instant coffee to anything other than my naivete.' My wife and I are fanciers of upscale flavored coffees and drink that exclusively, unless we can't get it elsewhere. And must we address the issue of DeCaf? It should be against the laws of God.

Attachments

• badbob1.jpg
    badbob1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 78
  • badbob2.jpg
    badbob2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
A cup of instant coffee can taste pretty good if the water is heated to just under boiling. If it is boiled, then the coffee can become bitter (info from a coffee expert on the radio). I have found this to be accurate. ;)

People in different places have different tastes. It doesn't necessarily make one more right than the other. To provide another example, here in the US iced tea is very popular and is served in virtually every restaurant. However, most countries around the world don't care for it that way. What does it matter? I still like it.

To me, instant coffee makes a drink that tastes like coffee flavored water. But it seems to be popular in Europe, so maybe that's just what Europeans prefer.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of drip coffee, either, although I will occasionally drink it. Most Americans love it, though. At home, I have a $600 Italian coffee maker that I use to make my morning coffee. My drink of choice is 2 long shots of espresso with a splash of milk. I'd bet not many others would enjoy it.

People in different places have different tastes. It doesn't necessarily make one more right than the other. To provide another example, here in the US iced tea is very popular and is served in virtually every restaurant. However, most countries around the world don't care for it that way. What does it matter? I still like it.

To me, instant coffee makes a drink that tastes like coffee flavored water. But it seems to be popular in Europe, so maybe that's just what Europeans prefer.

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of drip coffee, either, although I will occasionally drink it. Most Americans love it, though. At home, I have a $600 Italian coffee maker that I use to make my morning coffee. My drink of choice is 2 long shots of espresso with a splash of milk. I'd bet not many others would enjoy it.

Make that half & half and I would join you. Love espresso with a little cream...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom