Alright who has it ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maidrite

Contest Winner
Who has a pocket protector and a slide rule ? :huh:
Is it mine ? :mad: Do you know how to use it ? :wacko:

How about a protractor or compass ? :ohmy:

Well I'm waiting to hear your stories !

Attachments

• MEAN CAT.gif
    MEAN CAT.gif
    31.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Last time I used a slide rule I was an order regulator for Ace News back in the 60's. Used it to figure out national magazine distribution quotas based on previous sales.
Carl

When I started college as an engineering student, there were no pocket calculators readily available. I carried a slide rule but no pocket protector.

In drafting class we used compasses and protractors.

Of course now there are computers, calculators and CAD/CAM software.

"Of course now there are computers, calculators and CAD/CAM software." - ...and my engineer husband still carries a slide rule to this day. Thank God the pocket protector went by the wayside years ago!!

I have one in my tool box along with a protractor - don't use either much anymore...

Andy M. said:
When I started college as an engineering student, there were sticks and rocks.

In drafting class we used sticks and rocks (again).

Of course, then someone discovered fire, and then the wheel.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

:angel: :whistling :angel:
John

ronjohn55 said:

Very funny, very funny. Just keep in mind that I still have some of those stick and rocks so don't get too close.

Hey, does that qualify as elder abuse?

yup me too, the affordable scientific calculator appeared just as I got my BA. So trig precalc and calc, not to mention some physics was done with the slide rule...a fine tool, a great teaching device which is why my students today have ****for brains...they never have had to understand the various relationships with which they work.

Robo410 said:
yup me too, the affordable scientific calculator appeared just as I got my BA. So trig precalc and calc, not to mention some physics was done with the slide rule...a fine tool, a great teaching device which is why my students today have ****for brains...they never have had to understand the various relationships with which they work.

And just think how much your brain mellow'd out because you did not use the math instruments prior to these! :LOL:

Never had a slide rule, but still regularly use my compass and protractor. Part of my interior design work.

It's not unusual for a customer to bring me a magazine picture of a window treatment they just "have to have." That's where I begin my drawing and calculating and can usually duplicate what they want. I have tons of templates hanging in my shop that I've made over the years. When it takes hours to create something like those patterns, I always save them for potential future use.

Believe it or not, I still have my high school advanced math textbook. I used to review it every couple of years or so to see if I still had "it." I'm a numbers person and tutored math for many years. Buck laughs at me whenever we go somewhere where there's a crowd because I can almost always tell him how many people were there. Well, approximately.

Over the years I've come to rely on a pocket calculator, but still have confidence in my pencil-to-paper skills, along with doing calculations in my head at the checkout counter when I'm shopping. I often have the exact change ready by the time the sale is rung up.

You know, I seem to remember having a drawing compass on my school supply list every year....but never remember actually using them for their intended purpose. We used to take them out into the schoolyard and play a little game where we used them as throwing daggers. And yes, I still have my eyes and all my toes.

I'm not too sure about your drafting equipment, but my accountant says I need to update to Quickbooks.

img_400321_0_a8f1d9aec47496c74c5ea1933a77c46c.jpg

Remember back in college when all the geeky guys would carry their slide rules in scabbards on their belts? Longer slide rules meant greater accuracy. This, of course, stimulated a certain amount of competition among the nerds.

It gave a whole different meaning to the comment, "Look at the size of the one on THAT guy!"

Poor guys today. What do they have to offer? Look at how much stuff I can cram into this teeny Blackberry?

Bring back Croy lettering and mylars!

mudbug said:
Poor guys today. What do they have to offer? Look at how much stuff I can cram into this teeny Blackberry?

Bring back Croy lettering and mylars!

Was Croy like LeRoy? I worked with a guy who could LeRoy faster than you could write.

Any one of you have one of these like me ? Slide Band Adders ? :cool:

Attachments

• Magic Brain Calculator.gif
    Magic Brain Calculator.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom