Am I just old fashioned?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I myself don't have a cellphone, so if I had kids I doubt they would get a cellphone until they were atleast 16.

I am with you htc! I do not think an 8 year old needs a phone. They should never be far enough away from an adult that they could not get help.

This is just one more ploy by marketing companies to try to sell their products :mad:

okay i think kids are entirely way to spoiled these days.

might i add that i do have an 8 year old and there's no way,
no how he's getting his own cell phone !!!

Last edited:
I'm glad that I am not crazy then. I was disgusted when I read the article. It said that the marketers are hoping for lifetime loyal future customers. If the watch groups want to curb food manufacturers from pushing junk food on kids, (and cigarettes and alcohol) I wonder why there is no sort of watch group for this kind of stuff.

This is how my ex babysits his kids - he lets them out in the neighborhood expecting them to actually not lose the cell phone - the funny thing is he won't let them put their mother's number in where the mother's number goes - he said they can put a babysitter or something in. Even neighbor's have complained - thank goodness mine is old enough and off at school now and doesn't have to put up with him anymore. This is the way he gets them to WANT to be at his house - toys!

Elf, the having 2 households is always so complicated. :(

My 8 year old is my stepson. DH & I are not the spoil w/ toys type, but DH's ex is. It could be because she's not the primary care giver currently. At age 11 my stepson will go live w/ his Mom full time and come visit us on weekends. It's really too bad. Both households are EXTREMELY different in values and what we are comfortable exposing our children to. At our house, he's required to help do chores, keep his own room clean, do HOMEWORK, not play Rated T or M video games and is only allowed to watch PG or rated G movies. At Mom's house, she feels he's already like a teenager, so all that is fair game. Though honestly, I think stepson would much prefer Mom's house. I probably would have too at that age...

Last edited:
We live in a pretty "rich" part of the state.... it just sickens me to see how spoiled the kids are here. Drive through the highschool parking lot and you'll see a few junker cars but 99% are 2005's and very expensive kinds. All the kids have pagers and cell phones. Some of them work but, not most of them. If they do get a job it lasts for a week or so then they quit. They have no idea how to work. Why should they? The parents hand them everything they want. I had to feel sorry for my son sometimes. We didn't spoil him in that way. Yes, he had a few trips to Europe and other nice places and yes he lived in a nice home but.. on his 16th birthday we bought him a very used car and marched him out the door to get his first job. We made him pay for 1/2 of his car insurance the first year and all of it after that. We did give him 10 dollars a week for lunch money at school but, if he wanted to spend more than that he was on his own. Grandma got him a cell phone for his 17th birthday and said she'd pay a certain amount every month but, he was to pay the rest. He only missed one payment and that was prearranged. David is not perfect. But, he's a good kid. He hated school from day one and we knew college was not in his future. He's still at Safeway and working his way up the ladder. He was just given another promotion and is now a PIC !!! (Person in charge) he takes over when the managers are in meetings or out to lunch. He's had his own apartment for about three years now, buys and sells on Ebay and also has made a bunch of money buying and re-selling cars. I don't think for a minute that he'd be doing so well if he was handed a cell phone (and everything else he wanted) when he was a child. I think spoiling kids just hurts them in the long run.

Good for you pdswife! Sounds like you raised a good kid. My 9 year old asked me for a cell phone just the other day and I laughed at her. Poor kid, what a mean mom. I told her when she is old enough to get a job and pay for the stupid thing herself she can get a cell phone but otherwise forget it!

kitchenelf, at my work I have seen that "style" of parenting (or lack thereof) frequently. There is no substitute for hands on parenting and a cell phone is not an adequate monitor. Until the kids are in the situation where they may need the cell phone (i.e. have to drive places and the car might die) then no way.

What a stupid thing to do. Some folks will buy anything.

my Parents didn't use a cell phone to call me when i was a kid. they called us kids by going out onto the porch and shouting our names.
otherwise they called my friends' Parents up on the plain 'ol AT&T wall phone and said one of them was on thier way to get me.
and i'm only 24! i don't know just what's happened since i was a kid in the 1980's, but it's just not the same.

Well, I admit to being one of those parents who gave their child a cell phone early (he was in 6th grade). But there were tons of reasons for doing so, the main one being that I transported him back and forth to school and if he were going to be late because of practice or whatnot or if I were going to be late because I was stuck at work or in traffic, we could communicate. Being a single parent there was no one else to rely on. =) So we winged it! It wasn't about being a status symbol or being just another rich spoiled kid in the suburbs.

And pds, I hear you about what the parking lots of the local high schools there look like. It's a shame. =P They drove newer cars than I did! haha And my house was forever full of kids who parents couldn't have seemed to have cared less about where their kids were. They'd hand them a fistfull of money and send them on their way.

My son bought his own car and paid for his own insurance; and he had to wait until he was nearly 17 before he could afford to do that. But I think the wait did him good because he seemed to do a lot of growing up in that year.

The cell phone was always his out of a bad situation too. Not that he ever needed it, but you can't imagine what a relief that is as he would head out the door into that great big world. =P It was an easy way to be protective without being smothering. hehe

:heart:
Z

GB said:
I am with you htc! I do not think an 8 year old needs a phone. This is just one more ploy by marketing companies to try to sell their products :mad:

Agree GB.

I don't own or want a cell phone. (Who needs my purse ringing :LOL: ). I do feel it has it's advantages - if you're stuck somewhere with no access to a phone or in a dangerous or life-threatening situation. Since it's a high-tech computer world, think kids want to keep in step with their friends & echo what their parents do/have. Think a beeper/pager would be great for kids...they can check in with parents. All the amber alerts & missing children, are very scary.

Guess I'm old-fashioned, in thinking adults should check-in with their kids & vice-versa. Cell phones, in my opinion, are disruptive & cause accidents, i.e. everyone yacking on the phone behind the wheel, in meetings, restaurants, etc., etc.

Then again, if ET had a cell, he might have been home by now. :LOL:

And what about Superman? If he had a cell, where would he go to change? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I hate it when your watching a movie or on a camping trip and a cell phone goes off ! :furious: Ok now we know where Maidrite Stands !:LOL: :ROFLMAO: In Pageland SC!:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

I have to agree with all of this....ok some of it? I would NEVER let my child have a cell...for what purpose really? They will know where their friends live, they know where mom (will) and dad work there are such things as pay phones and calling collect! Cell phone tie you into everything and dont leave you with a moment of relaxation....why would you want to be able to get a hold of every minute of your life? I can understand for work ect, but come on...children don't need these things!!

In my email today I got this, and had to share for it seems it fits.....I giggled at how true it all is...

YOU KNOW YOU ARE LIVING IN 2005 when...

1. You accidentally enter your password on the microwave.

2. You haven't played solitaire with real cards in years.

3. You have a list of 15 phone numbers to reach your family of 3.

4. You e-mail the person who works at the desk next to you.

5. Your reason for not staying in touch with friends and family is that they don't have e-mail addresses.

6. You pull up in your own driveway and use your cell phone to see if anyone is home to help you carry in the groceries.

7. Every commercial on television has a web site at the
bottom of the screen.

8. Leaving the house without your cell phone, which you didn't have the first 20 or 30 (or 60) years of your life, is now a cause for panic and you turn around to go and get it.

10. You get up in the morning and go on line before getting your coffee.

11. You start tilting your head sideways to smile. : )

12. You're reading this and nodding and laughing.

13. Even worse, you know exactly to whom you are going to forward this message.

14. You are too busy to notice there was no #9 on this list.

15. You actually scrolled back up to check that there wasn't! a #9 on this list.

That sure sounds true! And yes, I did look for #9...and NO...kids don't need cell phones! I have a little trouble with pagers too...but our Grandson had one....and it came in handy when he had a bad bike accident and was able to page home.

There are way too many toys on the market today. So many that kids can't seem to think for themselves for home-made intertainment/

When I was a kid I recall making all the clothes for my barbie dolls, even if they were made out of a slim little kleenex. I had a lot of immagination.

I remember going to grandma and grandpa's for the summer and grandma had saved her sears catalogs for me. I could sit for hours and cut the people and clothes out of the catalog making my own paper dolls.

There were the home-made stilts and the home-made kites. Ahhh! kick the can in the middle of the street late at night. What intertainment.

I agree with most of this, I myself do NOT have a cell, and I do get snickered at for it..But at times I think a child might need to use a cell, so, I would not just hand one over, but, would have a family one to be used in certain situations only...We love our kids and grandkids and tend to give them way to much..I watched as my grandkids opened birthday and christmas gifts, the little ones will toss that expensive gift aside and crawl into the big box it came in!!! We might be wise to take our cue from them...When they become teens and have to have that black lipstick cuz all the kids do, we then say a firm NO, stick to it, and watch them like hawks! I think most children, whine as they do, are glad we have rules for them, they might never admit it, but, they do...I learned that from you youngest...She now is one of the easiest people in the world to talk to, as a teen, she is the reason for all these "blond" streaks in my hair... Love em, set rules, and love em some more...They are our greatest treasure...Be old fashioned!!! Be a parent...:)
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom