Am I The Only One?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That obvious?

I am originally from Nashville. I was there for 30 years and then in Chcago for 7. Now I'm in mid-Florida. I'm not big on southern style cooking,though:yuk: And living in Chicago turned me into a food snob, but the one good thing in Florida is there are some great seafood restaurants!!

I wish I could join you there, UB. I usually cooked Black-Eyed Peas, Fried Potatoes, and Cornbread on New Year's Day. Unfortunately, now that I'm with PeppA, her tradition is to make "Beer Shrimp", lots of crab, lobster, etc. We did the shrimp this year. It's OK, I guess. I just really miss Black-Eyed Peas. Unfortunately, I'm the only one in the house that eats them.

I'm sitting down with a bowl of Hoppin' John as I type. Didn't feel like cooking yesterday. It's the best Hoppin' John I've made to date. One difference is I used a rice mixture (different types of rice to include some orzo etc.) Ummmm.

Last edited:
i think a hawg jawl is a jawg of a hawg?!? being from the south you would think i would know that, but i don't. the only southern thing i've ever cooked was pulled pork sandwiches with my awesome bbq sauce- on the side of coarse cuz mt pork is way too tastey on it's own:-p

no sir, I made bep for new years and posted my recipe too. check it out below:

A tradition for many of us, southern or not, (I'm not). Very healthy little bean, right up there with black beans and crowder peas for nutritional value.

How'd you all make them? Post your recipes.

Here's my basic:

soak peas over night

broth with ham hock and a slosh of white wine

chop and saute onion garlic carrot celery (and this year parsnip too)

simmer together with bay leaf and a few sprigs of thyme couple hours

blanche and chop your fave dark leafy green (kale this year), add to pot.

slice and brown smoked or garlic sausage, add to pot (or leftover ham)

cut meat off hock add to pot, discard bone

adjust salt and pepper

serve over rice with crusty bread and hot sauce

(could easily be made with smoked turkey legs and wings if preferred) :chef:

Last edited:
for those having trouble finding smoked pork products:

Harringtons of Vermont

The Bacon of the Month Club can also hook you up with whatever you need wherever you live in the connected 48.

Hog jowl is jowl bacon, regular bacon is belly bacon, same great taste, jowl bacon is more tender. Think of hocks as smoked knees and ankles.

When your grocery won't stock it, try the internet...99% of the time you can now find it. You can even get Kansas Seal multi grain pancake mix and that is awesome stuff!

Happy 2008 my friends!

okay, my first stupid question--- i have never cooked a small roast, so how long and at what temp would i cook a 2.32lb. bottom round roast in the oven if iwanted it extremely rare?

I have only cooked rib roasts rare..I think that bottom round needs to cook to well done since its a cheaper cut of meat. You can do it on top of the stove or in the oven.
For top of stove, season it then brown it first in some oil, spoon out any excess oil. Add liquid of your choice, broth, red wine, water, mushroom soup,,etc. throw in some carrots, onions, garlic, potatoes. Cover and simmer until the meat is just about falling apart. (maybe post this in the beef section:))

Back
Top Bottom