Amazon Prime membership deadline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
a short while ago, amazon announced an increase in the cost of their rates for amazon prime. on 3-20-14, (tomorrow) the price of membership will go from $79 to $99 per year.
today, i received an email from amazon, offering a one year membership locked in at the old $79 rate. in order to qualify, i must enroll today.
my question is this: given the recent changes to the amazon prime program, is it still worthwhile to join, even at the lower, original rate? amazon prime members, what do you say?

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on how often you shop at Amazon and whether you enjoy the other perks, like streaming video and so on.

For me, it's well worth it. I've already placed 23 orders this year that qualified for free shipping. And since I don't have cable TV, I like to take advantage of those free movie and TV selections when I can. Over the last year, they've added a lot of newer movies into the mix.

If you have doubts, here is a quick little calculator that might help make your decision for you:
Amazon Prime, price: Use our widget to find out if the service—now $99 per year—is a good deal for you.

And another article that does some number crunching:
http://time.com/23987/is-amazon-prime-still-a-good-deal-at-99-lets-run-some-numbers/

Last edited:
there was a news wire blurb couple days back -

the allegation is:
when Prime Members log in to shop, the "system" adjusts the displayed prices to include shipping, or more....

so.... there the regular price plus shipping, and there's the Prime price with free shipping, which is higher than . . .

I smell a rat.

there was a news wire blurb couple days back -

the allegation is:
when Prime Members log in to shop, the "system" adjusts the displayed prices to include shipping, or more....

so.... there the regular price plus shipping, and there's the Prime price with free shipping, which is higher than . . .

I smell a rat.

Baloney. I smell a conspiracy theory.

Can you provide a link to said article?

I suppose it depends on how often you shop at Amazon and whether you enjoy the other perks, like streaming video and so on.

For me, it's well worth it. I've already placed 23 orders this year that qualified for free shipping. And since I don't have cable TV, I like to take advantage of those free movie and TV selections when I can. Over the last year, they've added a lot of newer movies into the mix.

If you have doubts, here is a quick little calculator that might help make your decision for you:
Amazon Prime, price: Use our widget to find out if the service—now $99 per year—is a good deal for you.

And another article that does some number crunching:
Amazon Prime a Good Deal at $99? Let’s Run Some Numbers - TIME

thanks steve, for providing this useful link that calculates the cost of one's shipping charges for amazon purchases for a set period of time.
that's all i needed to know in order to determine that amazon prime's free shipping would most likely not benefit me, given my shopping record of last year.

I hadn't heard about this before, but I did a search and found this article: Amazon Prime Lawsuit: Are Prices Inflated to Cover 'Free' Shipping? | InvestorPlace

Thanks, GG. I guess the court will sort it out.

Regardless, I'm not terribly concerned. I shop by looking for looking for the best price, both on and offline. About half the time, Amazon has the best price. Even if some of the marketplace vendors are inflating their prices to cover shipping, if they can still get it to me for less than another guy, that's where I will buy it.

One of the reasons I like Amazon is that with Prime there are no surprises at checkout. I know exactly what it's going to cost up front. And you sure can't say that about every online retailer.

Thanks, GG. I guess the court will sort it out.

Regardless, I'm not terribly concerned. I shop by looking for looking for the best price, both on and offline. About half the time, Amazon has the best price. Even if some of the marketplace vendors are inflating their prices to cover shipping, if they can still get it to me for less than another guy, that's where I will buy it.

One of the reasons I like Amazon is that with Prime there are no surprises at checkout. I know exactly what it's going to cost up front. And you sure can't say that about every online retailer.

I totally agree.

I shop around and Amazon usually has the best price and selection.

My Prime purchases often are delivered less than 24 hours after I buy them.

Back
Top Bottom