An easy way to really help in Africa and around the world!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdswife

Chef Extraordinaire
Paul and I were watching tv tonight and heard about this organization.

http://kiva.org/app.php

It's a non-profit that lets you loan money through paypal to people in poor countries that want to start a business.

They get 100% of the money that you loan them.
You get to know a little about the person and the business that they want to start.
We think it's wonderful and have already picked out a lady who wants to start a small rest. You can make loans for as little as 25 dollars.

Please check it out. It could change a persons life.

smiles, T

Last edited:
Don't want to be a Scrooge, but I belive charity begins at home. The number of homeless families are stagering. Many of the homeless are veterans. Whatever I can spare, goes to help feed, clothe, and shelter our poor. JMO

I think it is a very good idea. Too many opportunities and potentials of the less fortunate people go unrealized because they just don't have the capability to get it off the ground at that moment. I am sure this program can change the life of many people, if it works. Thanks for sharing, Trish!

Our church youth group also promotes heifer international, I think. You can "invest" in sending the means for these folk to make a living, feed themselves--a goat, solar oven, etc.
I'll take a look at Kiva also.
I also agree with helping at home and we have many ways of doing that also.

I help at home too...

but this is a way to make a real difference and I like that.

I'm bumping this--I operated a dog rescue charity for 10 years. It wasn't always local--we helped unwanted Saints from across Canada. I have sent my unwanted cookbooks to DCers--to cover the postage, I have asked that the DCers give locally.

Recently, I posted a pic on FB and asked where it was taken. My cousin knew and I made a $25 loan to Kiva in her name. Just got a notice that 50% of the loan has been repaid. I've asked my cousin if she wants to funnel the loan $, when received in full, which I think it will be, back locally or continue with Kiva. She wants to go with Kiva. She works with disabled adults and is very involved locally.

I believe charity begins at home. My family started Camp Courage North (Courage Center Camps - accessible). When my cousin died in an automobile accident in Peru, a charity was set up in her name: The Becky Fund: About Becky. I started a charity and operated it for 10 years that benefited abandoned, abused animals (now defunct, no longer has a web site--I had to let it go to care for my mom who has dementia and care for me). When asked as a little girl what I wanted when I grew up, my answer was "my own charity." I realized that dream. It wasn't easy, it was heartbreaking at times and it was very, very hard to let it go--but I had to do that.

My dad "rings the bell" every Christmas season. Charity does begin at home--but it doesn't necessarily stop there. Maybe it is hereditary--I seem to have inherited that gene. I'm drafting a business plan of how I can "give back" by being a Pampered Chef consultant. Not through PC's fundraising program, but rather through my own way of giving back.

Most people I know who donate to "off shore" charities also donate to those close to home and close to their hearts. And, I do know a lot of people involved in the non-profit, charity world. It is a lot easier to write a cheque than it is to donate time. As the old saying goes, "when you're up to your arse in alligators, you forget that your objective was to drain the swamp." That is often how one feels when one is deeply involved with a charity. It is a never-ending story.

My experience with kiva.org has been positive. Which reminds me, I have to stop at the food bank and donate a box of food one of my tenants left behind...

Last edited:
Thank you for bumping this up. I was just thinking about this organization the other day.

I also believe charity begins at home, but I believe home is the world. When I see the Earth in photos taken from space, or even just aerial photos, I don't see lines dividing the countries. We all belong here, and we all need to help each other. :cool:

P.S. I just went to the site, and the first opportunity I saw to help was here in the United States. So it helps people all over the world.

Last edited:
We just did it! I found out that they didn't add U.S. loans until 2009, so when this thread was started, it was just non-U.S.

wasabi said:
Don't want to be a Scrooge, but I belive charity begins at home. The number of homeless families are stagering. Many of the homeless are veterans. Whatever I can spare, goes to help feed, clothe, and shelter our poor. JMO

The wounded warrior project is a wonderful organization to give to too.

This isn't giving, it's lending. When they pay the money back you can lend it to someone else or get it back. Really leverages your charitable contribution.

This isn't giving, it's lending. When they pay the money back you can lend it to someone else or get it back. Really leverages your charitable contribution.
Yes, and with some of them, like the one we lent money to, companies will match your money.

Back
Top Bottom