And speaking of visiting my mother...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
I mentioned on the 'events' board that I'm planning a trip to Florida to visit my parents to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. My boyfriend, Lou, is goig as well.
He's only met my parents a couple of times.:mellow:
He's heard lots of stories, however:ohmy:

We arrive very late on a Thursday evening. My dad offered to pick us up at the airport. Very late means close to midnight, so I don't expect they'll hold dinner for us.:sleep:

We mentioned we'd like to see St. Augustine on Friday. My mom mentioned it's only 25 minutes away. (probably 20 if I drove). Being we're their houseguest, we'll treat for dinner at a restaurant of their choice in St. Augustine.

That leaves breakfast, at least on Friday morning:ohmy:. I love my parents, and they know this. But my dad makes pancake batter in the blender:wacko:. My mom....well, my mom's forté was never breakfast. Not sure it was lunch or dinner, either, but it sure as heck wasn't breakfast. I bought them a very very good coffee maker when they bought this home, so we should be able to get a good cup of coffee.

My mother was raised in an Italian home, by Italians. I think, however, she was the foundling child of German Jews. If I know my mother, she'll have scouted out Jacksonville, Florida for a german delicatessen, and a german bakery. She'll 'settle' for rye bread, because she simply cannot find a decent place to get Italian bread in all of Florida. She'll 'force' herself to eat pastrami because there is no real genoa salami to be found. I figured I had her number when she tried to serve us sauerbrauten one sunday afternoon instead of stuffed shells with sausage and meatballs. She always knew where to get really good crumb cake, but she always pretended she just went for the cookies for the kids. Yeah, right.

I like this place, see...and I figured you all should know about my background. So, in 4 weeks I'm off to the wilds of Jacksonville Florida. I'll get to see my dad's three whacky sisters, my aunts! I happen to love German cooking (not that my mother ever got that right...) but my boyfriend is more Italian than your average guy from South Philly.

I'm kinda hoping she just offers cheerios.:angel:

oh yea...she phoned this afternoon. Wanted to know if I'd started packing yet.:LOL:

I'd love to hear any stories about your moms. I may also keep you posted on this trip as it gets closer.

We lived in Jacksonville Fla. when it really was " the wilds" DH was stationed at Jax naval Air Station and we lived about 10 miles out in Orange Park. There was nothing between the base and our new subdivision but a few houses. The land was filled in..and across the highway it was still swamp. This was from 1959-1963. We went back twice to see our first home..it took two tries all the way from California to find it. It is a large city now..in comparison to what it was.

Back
Top Bottom