Antidepressants & their side effects!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

getoutamykitchen

Master Chef
Although some of you that read my posts may not realize it, but I suffer from depression. Most of my life I have dealt with it drug free. But with having to care for my mother and her Alzheimer's, my sibling's and their denial with my mother's Alzheimer's, and the financial burden of not being able to work due to care of mom, a very mature 12 year old son, and a few health problems myself, my depression was getting the better of me back in November. So I talked to my doctor and he gave me a script for Prozac. Within 2 weeks I was covered with hives and itching myself raw. Next he gave me Celexa, within 2-3 weeks the same thing. He said let's try Lexapro, it's a newer more refined AD. Well the first month was not to bad I told him it was very mild and I wished to stay on it, he agreed and said, "maybe my body would adjust to it." I am half way through my 2nd. script of Lexapro and the itching has been suddenly worse and my legs are swollen with what feels like water retention. I've made an appt. to see my doctor, but it's not until the 13th. This morning I decided to stop the AD and just deal with it until I can see my doc.
I was at my mother's doctor with her and asked her about my symptoms and she recommended Wellbutrin or Effexor. Has anybody here on DC ever had this problem with AD and what was their solution. I just hate to take another AD and start with the itching and swelling again. It takes weeks for it too work out of my system and the itching to stop. My DH, son and I could see a difference in my mood (for the better) when dealing with my mother and her Alzheimer's when I was on the Lexapro.

While I have not personally had any experience with the meds, what I would do is talk with your doctor. It is possible that your allergy to prozac has made your system sensitive to everything similar. I know my son had good results with wellbutrin and my hubby does well on prozac. You might need to forgo any medication for a time to get everything completely out of your body before trying the next med. Is this your family doctor or a psychiatrist prescribing the AD? If it is your family doc, I would suggest before you get another Rx, make an appointment with a psychiatrist (NOT a psychologist since they cannot prescribe meds). They will work with you on meds and therapy together which really is the best way to handle depression. Hope you can get the help you need.

Celexa, and Lexapro are basically the same drug, in the same class of drugs etc....So is the Prozac. Sounds like you are having a (delayed) allergic reaction to these drugs maybe ---- The Wellbutrin, or Effexor would probably be a better choice for you to try....You may also ask your physician about Cymbalta......

The Prozac was prescribed by a psychiatrist. When I called him with my symptoms he said that if I was having a reaction to Prozac than he couldn't help me. I stopped seeing him because I couldn't understand half of what he was saying because of his accent. The Celexa and Lexapro were from my regular doctor.
I am going to wait for the symptoms to subside before trying anything else. Then start over again.

I know this is tough to deal with - my sister has bipolar disorder and it can be really hard while they try different meds. Unfortunately, since people's body chemistry is not all the same, the same meds don't work for everyone, so right now, trial and error is the only way to find what works. Good luck.

I know this is tough to deal with - my sister has bipolar disorder and it can be really hard while they try different meds. Unfortunately, since people's body chemistry is not all the same, the same meds don't work for everyone, so right now, trial and error is the only way to find what works. Good luck.

GotGarlic, Is your sister doing alright now? I wish her the best. I have dealt with a former co-worker who was Bipolar and she kept going off her meds. What a difference in her personality from one day to another.
Thank goodness it's not Bipolar. My depression symptoms are mainly sadness and feeling hopeless, but when I started feeling like I'd had enough or I'd lived long enough and got real concerned. I'm not saying I wanted to harm myself, just the feeling that my life wasn't going to improve and the man above could take me anytime.

GotGarlic, Is your sister doing alright now? I wish her the best. I have dealt with a former co-worker who was Bipolar and she kept going off her meds. What a difference in her personality from one day to another.
Thank goodness it's not Bipolar. My depression symptoms are mainly sadness and feeling hopeless, but when I started feeling like I'd had enough or I'd lived long enough and got real concerned. I'm not saying I wanted to harm myself, just the feeling that my life wasn't going to improve and the man above could take me anytime.

She doing really well now :) She's been able to hold a job for almost a year now and has been in a relationship for about two years. It took some time, but the doctors finally found a med that helps her but doesn't turn her into a zombie.

I hope you find something that works for you soon. Take care and know we're thinking of you.

I'm just writing in support. I only know that each body is individual. There is no way you can take someone else's experience with any kind of medication and apply it to YOUR body. Just keep trying until your doctor gets it right, or change doctors. Real depression (as opposed to just the natural ups and downs of life that sometimes seems more down than up) takes a lot of work to find the right medication. What works for Jane won't for John, and Joe's perfect solution won't work for Jean. I am lucky, I don't suffer from this, but I go through this with many, and I do mean MANY friends, and each's solution is completely different. Keep on keeping on, and don't get discouraged (who am I kidding, isn't that one of the definitions of depression?). Just know that there are some of us out here rooting for you.

Thanks everyone! Today I made a list of things to talk to my husband about.
I know that one serious issue I have is my weight. I got on the scale this morning and due to the water retention I had gained 12 pounds in a week. I am severely obese as it is and this just made me feel worse. I suffer from high blood pressure and am also on cholesterol meds too. I let him know that things have got to change for me or I truly feel I'm gonna die. I didn't ask for his support, I demanded it. I told him that my losing weight is going to be my highest priority. If I didn't do it this way then my son may grow up without a mother. He promised to support me 100+%. He even called our son in the room and talked to him about mommy getting healthy.
I removed all my temptations from the refrigerator, panty, etc. I even went through all my coupons and threw away the ones that got me to where I am today. I'm working on my menu tonight and shopping tomorrow. I even got my husband to go for a short walk this evening after dinner. OMG! Do my knees hurt. I will keep ya'll updated on how I'm doing and I appreciate the support.
I need my daily dose of DC and the games we play. Maybe I'll make this my journal of my road to recovery, what do you think?

Paxil, which I have been taking for about 15 years, is an anti-anxiety drug which has kept me alive. I've heard it said that Paxil is addictive, and I don't care, as long as I can get it.
If my mother had had Paxil, she might still be alive.

Paxil, which I have been taking for about 15 years, is an anti-anxiety drug which has kept me alive. I've heard it said that Paxil is addictive, and I don't care, as long as I can get it.
If my mother had had Paxil, she might still be alive.

It's great that you have found something that works for you. Even if it is addictive that doesn't mean someone is abusing it. I also use Vicadin everyday. And no I'm not the pill popping Dr. House, I take one every morning so I can stand upright. I fell down some stairs 6 years ago and have 2 bulging disks in my neck and 3 bulging disks in my lower back, sciatica in both hips, ost.arthritis in my lower back, neck, a herniating disk or two and just plain old arthritis in various other parts of my body. I would say I take one Vicadin 5 or 6 days a week. If I do to much physically I may have to take one at night. But after a year I'm not addicted. A 30 day supply last me about 90 days. I can deal with the aches and pains, but the sadness was just getting overwhelming.

I am very very sorry that you have so many problems and you are coping with these problems.

We lead more simpler life. My mother became very forgetful with advanced age. She cannot able to recall 60% of incidences. Yet she got very dominating nature (she was a teacher). She will tell anyone anything but we all can understand her and accept her as she is. She is not under any kind of medication. The best medication is spending her time with us.

I am very very sorry that you have so many problems and you are coping with these problems.

We lead more simpler life. My mother became very forgetful with advanced age. She cannot able to recall 60% of incidences. Yet she got very dominating nature (she was a teacher). She will tell anyone anything but we all can understand her and accept her as she is. She is not under any kind of medication. The best medication is spending her time with us.

I definitely have a lot of aches and pains, but I am handling those very well. I know my limitations. I also know that with weight loss those aches and pains will become a lot less painful. My major focus from now on is my depression. I will get a handle on it, and as I do I know things will be better.
I will cherish the days I have left with my mother and although very rarely
does she NOT recognize me, I realize that that will change as she ages.

Please don't get too wrapped around the axle on weight loss. Yes, I'm sure you need to, and I'm sure it is adding to depression. BUT please concentrate more on nutrition, and, since you said your husband and son are going to be supportive, get one of them to watch your mom for a little bit every day and even if it is only around the block, get outside and do something. Even ten minutes. Even in bad weather. If you don't have one already, buy a full-spectrum light to read or do any close work by. But just being outside, even for just a few minutes, at least once a day (and, no, walking to the car to take yourself or family members on errands/appointments does not count, this has to be YOU time) over time can really elevate your mood after awhile. Just walk around the block. One of the hardest things about both depression and weight loss, especially since you say you need to lose a lot of the latter is that the ups and downs can just about kill your incentive. So don't concentrate on that. Concentrate on GOOD FOOD, don't let yourself get overly hungry (lots of fruit, vegs, and whole grains for snacks), and get outside once a day for a walk, no matter how short. Make hubby and son live up to their claim of being supportive and give you a half hour of alone time, and use it to take a walk, get some of that good old sun vitamins.

Please don't get too wrapped around the axle on weight loss. Yes, I'm sure you need to, and I'm sure it is adding to depression. BUT please concentrate more on nutrition, and, since you said your husband and son are going to be supportive, get one of them to watch your mom for a little bit every day and even if it is only around the block, get outside and do something. Even ten minutes. Even in bad weather. If you don't have one already, buy a full-spectrum light to read or do any close work by. But just being outside, even for just a few minutes, at least once a day (and, no, walking to the car to take yourself or family members on errands/appointments does not count, this has to be YOU time) over time can really elevate your mood after awhile. Just walk around the block. One of the hardest things about both depression and weight loss, especially since you say you need to lose a lot of the latter is that the ups and downs can just about kill your incentive. So don't concentrate on that. Concentrate on GOOD FOOD, don't let yourself get overly hungry (lots of fruit, vegs, and whole grains for snacks), and get outside once a day for a walk, no matter how short. Make hubby and son live up to their claim of being supportive and give you a half hour of alone time, and use it to take a walk, get some of that good old sun vitamins.

Good food nutritionally is exactly what I'm doing. Like I said earlier, I cleaned out the frig., pantry and even my coupon collection. I've even started with a short walk in the evening and my son is my co-walker, along with our lab, Peanut.
I'm not allowing myself to get hungry. I have a small smackeral (as Winnie the Pooh would say) of something. I use my mornings doing my food prep, slicing veggies, fruit, etc. so it's there for me. I'm not hung up on the weight loss and the scale. The scale is put away after our sunday weigh-ins so we don't become a slave to it. Getting healthy is my primary goal.
Thank you for your support Claire.

Back
Top Bottom