Any Austinites Here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toots

Head Chef
My husband's employer is going to relocate us to Austin, probably in March. I've been to Austin once and my husband has been several times. We are just now researching where to live, whether to buy right away or rent, etc. It feels a little weird knowing this is my last Kentucky winter. And its not even cold this year - figures.

I know Austin is a big foodie town (HQ of Whole Foods - yeah!). Are there any Austinites here? I may need to bend your ears for advice/info/help in the coming days and weeks.

Toots,

I'm sorry that I'm not an Austinite but I'm a San Antonite and a Houstonite who happens to have several friends who have lived there and you will love it from what I've been told. Nice weather, though maybe not as seasonal as Kentucky's, and people are very friendly. It's more expensive to live there than say San Antonio or Houston, per se, but I don't know what the cost of living is in Kentucky either. I'm sure that you can contact the local realities to find that out. Also very good school districts from what I hear. So congratulations on your new move!!

expatgirl said:
Toots,

I'm sorry that I'm not an Austinite but I'm a San Antonite and a Houstonite who happens to have several friends who have lived there and you will love it from what I've been told. Nice weather, though maybe not as seasonal as Kentucky's, and people are very friendly. It's more expensive to live there than say San Antonio or Houston, per se, but I don't know what the cost of living is in Kentucky either. I'm sure that you can contact the local realities to find that out. Also very good school districts from what I hear. So congratulations on your new move!!

Thanks expat girl. We've checked out the cost of living in Austin and its very comparible to where we live now (we live in the Cincinnati area). I'm concerned about finding a nice house, in a good neighborhood at a reasonable price, but other than that I am very anxious to get to Texas!
I'm going to do part to "keep Austin weird" as they say there.

;)

LOL, Toots,

Austin is definitely a "with it" place especially with the Univ. of Texas population keeping the area and outlook young. I'm sure that you won't have any trouble finding a home as it's generally a buyer's market especially at this time of the year. YOu must also be sure to visit San Antonio (tons to do there and wonderful Mexican food), Schlitterbahn Water Park in New Braunfels, and of course Houston. When do you leave?

expatgirl said:
LOL, Toots,

Austin is definitely a "with it" place especially with the Univ. of Texas population keeping the area and outlook young. I'm sure that you won't have any trouble finding a home as it's generally a buyer's market especially at this time of the year. YOu must also be sure to visit San Antonio (tons to do there and wonderful Mexican food), Schlitterbahn Water Park in New Braunfels, and of course Houston. When do you leave?

We don't have confirmation from my husband's employer YET, but we think we'll be moving there by mid-March. Just in time for that hot Texas summer! I will check out San Antonio, I think it looks lovely and I want to visit it and all other other cute little towns near Austin. We went to Bastrop last time we visited down there, and it looks like it could be a John Wayne movie set - very cool.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom