Any Cheyenne, Wyoming locals out there??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I got snowed in, while passing through Cheyenne this morning for 5 hours ( going from Boulder to Salt Lake).

I survived, but I think someone put a curse on me. Flash floods in PA on Friday, Tornados in Kansas ( where else) on Saturday, 12 - 18 inch snow storm in Colorado (Sunday - Monday) which forced me to deviate from my initial plans. I 80 closed for 7 hours between Cheyenne and Laramie WY this morning, Severe Ice, hail, sleet and fog in Utah toward Salt Lake City .

Anyway, Im still alive to talk about it, just screwed up my plans a bit. But the way I figure it, Kansas/ tornado, Colorado/ snow, I figure ill get eaten by a bear in Yellowstone.

Well, I got snowed in, while passing through Cheyenne this morning for 5 hours ( going from Boulder to Salt Lake).

I survived, but I think someone put a curse on me. Flash floods in PA on Friday, Tornados in Kansas ( where else) on Saturday, 12 - 18 inch snow storm in Colorado (Sunday - Monday) which forced me to deviate from my initial plans. I 80 closed for 7 hours between Cheyenne and Laramie WY this morning, Severe Ice, hail, sleet and fog in Utah toward Salt Lake City .

Anyway, Im still alive to talk about it, just screwed up my plans a bit. But the way I figure it, Kansas/ tornado, Colorado/ snow, I figure ill get eaten by a bear in Yellowstone.

I hope you are not stuck in the same part of Cheyenne that I was in last year. I understand there are very nice parts of that town. I didn't go there for my work. :rolleyes:

CD

Right now Im relaxing ( finally) in a nice hotel in Salt Lake. We got an early start this morning, but about 2 hours in, the snow got heavier and heavier. We then passed some flashing lights ( On I 80W) that said " If flashing, get off the highway", there were Gates down ( similar to the gates that would go down at a railroad crossing). blocking the3 highway so we had no choice, but to get off. When we got off, there were 50 + 18 wheelers parked immediately off the exit ramp, I guess waiting for the OK to get back on the highway. I parked right along side with them, trying to figure out my next move. I got my computer out, and was able to get online and found a local Starbucks about 2 miles from where I was ( on roads that were travelable). So, we made it there, she had coffee while I tried to figure out our next move. I got onto the Wyoming travel emergency site which basically had I 80 all in red, with a notice that they expect the road to be up and running again in 5 - 7 hours ( at this time it was about 8am). I knew I couldn't stay in Starbucks for another 5 hours. I searched to find things to do to kill time, but it was still kinda early and nothing really peaked my interest . I had some Hilton points, so I was able to score a hotel nearby, so we could at least be warm, watch the local news to figure out what's going on ( and we got a free breakfast out of it). We got there about 8:30am and left at about 11is to go to lunch . Im sure they were thinking we got the room for other reasons, but who cares. Went to lunch, then to the local mall, then we were finally going to go to Walmart to stock up on some stuff and we checked the website and the roads were open again. Any time I go on a road trip, I always get something from each city or place we visit as a memory to hang on our Christmas tree. I always want the item to be a simple reminder of our visit, IN Walmart we found A Cheyenne themed snow globe. Perfect Reminder !!!!

Anyway, tomorrow is another day.

I live about 100 miles from Cheyenne, but when you were snowed in there, I was in Palisade CO (west, almost to Utah) visiting my sister. I had to delay my drive home by a day for the same reason... I-76 was closed from just north of Denver to the Nebraska state line, and I live about 40 miles from Nebraska in northeastern Colorado.

You are rather early for visiting Yellowstone... it's still mostly winter up there. ;)

Back
Top Bottom